Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,137x in 1,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    I think the only rational explanation is that they must be so unhappy with the way things are right now, they are willing to try anything else if the changes have a positive effect (in their minds) on their lives.

I think it's just a phase we are undergoing right now and it'll pass in due time. It reminds me of the so-called hippie revolution of the late sixties/early seventies where the likes of Abbie Hoffman, Timothy Leary, Jerry Rubin and others were going to take over the country and we all would live in communes and become communists wearing flower power tee shirts and psychedelic music would replace Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. Eventually it ended and it was just another phase the country went through. I'm thinking along these lines of thinking that it might take a few years but eventually it'll fade away like the hippie movement.

Probably no one here will agree with me, but that's my thoughts on the topic.
    The hippies were protesting the Vietnam war, and 18 year olds getting the vote. They achieved both. Finding out about LSD is always exciting, and makes ideas like communal living seem like a good idea.

That gets old rather quickly, when it's no different than society as a whole.

Cops have been murdering unarmed black kids for decades. Now there is proof. When they stop doing it, the movement will subside.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In my opinion the riots and violence de-legitimatizes any protest and goals that the peaceful protesters sought.
    If those calling for, leading and supporting peaceful demonstrations and protests fail to publicly condemn the looting and other criminality, then I'm not sure that it's necessarily fair to say that their actions are delegitimized, but it certainly does call into question their credibility.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,755x in 1,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    There are a couple of theories that might be applicable here:

Fourth Turning theory
    The Strauss–Howe generational theory, also known as the Fourth Turning theory or simply the Fourth Turning, which was created by authors William Strauss and Neil Howe, describes a theorized recurring generation cycle in American history. According to the theory, historical events are associated with recurring generational personas (archetypes). Each generational persona unleashes a new era (called a turning) in which a new social, political, and economic climate exists. Turnings tend to last around 20–22 years. They are part of a larger cyclical "saeculum" (a long human life, which usually spans between 80 and 90 years, although some saecula have lasted longer). The theory states that after every saeculum, a crisis recurs in American history, which is followed by a recovery (high). During this recovery, institutions and communitarian values are strong. Ultimately, succeeding generational archetypes attack and weaken institutions in the name of autonomy and individualism, which ultimately creates a tumultuous political environment that ripens conditions for another crisis.

Schlesinger cycles of United States history
    The Cyclical theory (United States history)[13][14][15][16] is a theory of US history developed by Arthur M. Schlesinger Sr. and Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.. It states that US history alternates between two kinds of phases:
    • Liberal, increasing democracy, public purpose, concern with the wrongs of the many and human rights
    • Conservative, containing democracy, private interest, concern with the rights of the few and property rights
    Each kind of phase generates the other. Liberal phases generate conservative phases from activism burnout, and conservative phases generate liberal phases from accumulation of unsolved problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_cycle_theory
    Interesting premises.

And somewhat supported by the (imperfect) pattern of Democrats and Republicans trading possession of the White House every 8 years.

(The ebb and flow of the masses seeking answers to issues that won't ever have ideal solutions...)

Volvo

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-28-2020),Peter1469 (06-28-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    The hippies were protesting the Vietnam war, and 18 year olds getting the vote. They achieved both. Finding out about LSD is always exciting, and makes ideas like communal living seem like a good idea.

Cops have been murdering unarmed black kids for decades. Now there is proof. When they stop doing it, the movement will subside.

Actually, black suspects are no more likely to be shot than white suspects. Sure, officers could stand to watch fewer episodes of CSI Miami and go through rigorous de-escalation training, but there is no systemic racism in law enforcement.

That means the movement isn't focused on something real.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,353x in 27,928 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStarkey View Post
    I am baffled that people do not understand that life does not remain concrete, that in fact human society evolves for better or for worse over time.

The US is no different than any other society in those terms.
    It is important to resist evil. Marxism is evil.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Common (06-28-2020),Peter1469 (06-28-2020)

Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the only rational explanation is that they must be so unhappy with the way things are right now, they are willing to try anything else if the changes have a positive effect (in their minds) on their lives.

I think it's just a phase we are undergoing right now and it'll pass in due time. It reminds me of the so-called hippie revolution of the late sixties/early seventies where the likes of Abbie Hoffman, Timothy Leary, Jerry Rubin and others were going to take over the country and we all would live in communes and become communists wearing flower power tee shirts and psychedelic music would replace Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. Eventually it ended and it was just another phase the country went through. I'm thinking along these lines of thinking that it might take a few years but eventually it'll fade away like the hippie movement.

Probably no one here will agree with me, but that's my thoughts on the topic.
    No actually I agree with you game..what I dont understand is specifically intelligent americans being for this and voting for it...There are many politicians of color telling us EXACTLY what they want to do and thats take over the country..BLM is telling us blacks are the superior race and they are supposed to rule and not whites and that everything white has to be destroyed including symbols of jesus..

Know what man I was a poor kid this is the best country in the world...

Blacks and White Democrats know not a single white person alive today owned slaves or had a $#@!ing thing to do with slavery...NONE of us look at statues and say Oh yea Screw all the black people...None of us view those statues in any kind of racial way...I was taught in school about the civil war and past presidents it was never presented in a racial way., Now John Wayne is a racist symbol

But its not only race its everything else in the democrat agenda...voting for democrats is voting for death not of people and our country...
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post

In 2019 there were nine unarmed black men who were killed during police encounters. Of the nine six were justified. The black men rushed the police officere or struggled over the cop's gun. The other three were not justified. Charges were brought. In the same year, 7,700 black Americans were murdered by other black Americans.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-28-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I know many Democrats and people, like myself, who routinely vote that way. Not one of them favors or advocates riots and looting, allowing transgender individuals to participate in women's sports, "wide open borders" (an especially silly straw man), or mobs tearing down statues. (Or universal gun confiscation - you forgot that one, Common.)

As November's general election approaches, we will all see more and more such canards and false narratives in campaign ads and literature. A lot of people will fall for it, and that's unfortunate.
    Fall for what Standing Wolf, are you saying that democrat politicians arent for open borders..trannys in womens bathrooms obama already signed an exec order allowing that...Trans beating girls in competitive sports . There arent democrats demanding gun confiscation

Whats unfortunate is that liberals when confronted with anything that have to respond to directly...they cant, the dawdle dance, stutter, pirouette, drool and drivel...then try to convolute it.

READ go READ many different sources...left and right and you will see that everything I say is the truth...I do not deal in lies..I can be wrong in my opinion in your view but facts you cant change

You can vote for a Ilmar Omar, a Talib, A Pressley and AOC and Im betting in your superior intellect you would vote for them over trump because they of course are better for the country...
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-28-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    In 2019 there were nine unarmed black men who were killed during police encounters. Of the nine six were justified. The black men rushed the police officere or struggled over the cop's gun. The other three were not justified. Charges were brought. In the same year, 7,700 black Americans were murdered by other black Americans.
    This isnt about black men or race...whats the first thing you have to get out of the way to create anarchy...the police..the left has to strip the police to get done what they want..

The one thing they are forgetting there are literally MILLIONS of americans sitting back watching this...
    When and if they step to far all hells going to break loose
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    This isnt about black men or race...whats the first thing you have to get out of the way to create anarchy...the police..the left has to strip the police to get done what they want..

The one thing they are forgetting there are literally MILLIONS of americans sitting back watching this...
    When and if they step to far all hells going to break loose
    True. My comment easily exposes the Left's lie about what this rioting, looting, murdering and many arsons is about.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Common (06-28-2020)

+ Reply to Thread