User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lynching Preachers: How Black Pastors Resisted Jim Crow and White Pastors Incited

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,590x in 25,145 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Lynching Preachers: How Black Pastors Resisted Jim Crow and White Pastors Incited

Lynching Preachers: How Black Pastors Resisted Jim Crow and White Pastors Incited Racial Violence. Religion was no barrier for lynch mobs intent on terror. White pastors incited racial violence and took part in lynchings even though sometimes the victim was a preacher. --
    5ede63cb16ab2.jpg
    The National Memorial For Peace And Justice in Montgomery, Alabama,
    commemorates the victims of lynching. Photo by Bob Miller / Getty Images.

5ede62e755ac5.jpg
    A funeral held in July 1945 for two victims of the Ku Klux Klan,
    George Dorsey and his sister, Dorothy Dorsey Malcolm, of Walton County, Georgia,
    held at the Mt. Perry Baptist Church Sunday. Photo from Bettman via Getty.

White lynch mobs in America murdered at least 4,467 people between 1883 and 1941, hanging, burning, dismembering, garroting and blowtorching their victims. Their violence was widespread but not indiscriminate: About 3,300 of the lynched were black, according to the most recent count by sociologists Charles Seguin and David Rigby. The remaining dead were white, Mexican, of Mexican descent, Native American, Chinese or Japanese. Such numbers, based on verifiable newspaper reports, represent a minimum. The full human toll of racial lynching may remain ever beyond reach.
    Religion was no barrier for these white murderers, as I’ve discovered in my research on Christianity and lynch mobs in the Reconstruction-era South. White preachers incited racial violence, joined the Ku Klux Klan and lynched black people. Sometimes, the victim was a pastor.

This is the story.

5ede639b10f2d.jpg

A white lynch mob in Shelbyville, Tennessee, in 1941.
    Photo from Bettmann via Getty.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/l...=pocket-newtab
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Mini Me (07-05-2020),Peter1469 (06-30-2020)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, and many preachers used the Bible and scripture to advocate for racial segregation/slavery. The real question is how many really died because we didn’t have social media then to report cases that doesn’t make it into the mainstream media.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (06-30-2020),Mini Me (07-05-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,590x in 25,145 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Yep, and many preachers used the Bible and scripture to advocate for racial segregation/slavery. The real question is how many really died because we didn’t have social media then to report cases that doesn’t make it into the mainstream media.
    Did you see that I bolded "represent a minimum" ?

I am a member of the Knights of Columbus, a Roman Catholic Fraternal Organization. One of our founding reasons was to defend Catholic Priests in the south that were being killed b/c they were performing mixed marriages. I've read stories that the Priests were attacked on the Altar. Now, we just try to good.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Safety (06-30-2020)

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,312x in 4,617 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always been against the Bible to perform mixed marriages. A Christian should never marry another person who worships other gods. But it was never about color of ones skin. Lies or fables get into Churches, just like the many today that say, Christians will be gone when Trib happens, it's a lie. I am not responsible for these idiots that believe a movie (left behind) or the other that came out years ago that believe those instead of what the Bible says.

He says it 6 times in the Bible, AFTER trib, lift your heads for your redemption draws nigh. They will believe every opinion and everything outside the Bible for truth. If they are saved they have a rude awakening if Trib is around the corner. Useful idiots.

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its common knowledge that religion not only wasnt a barrier but a catalyst for many horrific events in our past..

Lynchings the KKK hid behind religion and the salem which hunts were all in the name of God

Any organization any religion has those that prostitute the intent and translate it to perpetrate evil....

That does not make all religion or all religious bad people
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-30-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Its common knowledge that religion not only wasnt a barrier but a catalyst for many horrific events in our past..

Lynchings the KKK hid behind religion and the salem which hunts were all in the name of God

Any organization any religion has those that prostitute the intent and translate it to perpetrate evil....

That does not make all religion or all religious bad people
    Really? Which ones? Certainly not lynching which, as far as it had anything to do with race and innocent people, was a product of racism and white supremacy.

The KKK was also a product of racism and white supremacy. The Salem Witch Trials happened over 300 years ago.

This is true. It happens.

Of course it doesn't.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Did you see that I bolded "represent a minimum" ?

I am a member of the Knights of Columbus, a Roman Catholic Fraternal Organization. One of our founding reasons was to defend Catholic Priests in the south that were being killed b/c they were performing mixed marriages. I've read stories that the Priests were attacked on the Altar. Now, we just try to good.
    Hitler also used the Bible to justify ethnically cleansing against Jews.

Interesting you mention the Knights of Columbus.

I wonder how long until the name of that fraternity is changed.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Really? Which ones? Certainly not lynching which, as far as it had anything to do with race and innocent people, was a product of racism and white supremacy.

The KKK was also a product of racism and white supremacy. The Salem Witch Trials happened over 300 years ago.

This is true. It happens.

Of course it doesn't.
    From Dave's article above..."Religion was no barrier for these white murderers, as I’ve discovered in my research on Christianity and lynch mobs in the Reconstruction-era South. White preachers incited racial violence, joined the Ku Klux Klan and lynched black people."

Maybe you better go argue with the author of the article and convince him he's wrong.
    When you get that from him get back to us and post his admission here.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminO View Post
    From Dave's article above..."Religion was no barrier for these white murderers, as I’ve discovered in my research on Christianity and lynch mobs in the Reconstruction-era South. White preachers incited racial violence, joined the Ku Klux Klan and lynched black people."

Maybe you better go argue with the author of the article and convince him he's wrong.
    When you get that from him get back to us and post his admission here.
    That's nice but lynching which, as far as it had anything to do with race and innocent people, was a product of racism and white supremacy. Secondly, the author isn't claiming what Common is claiming.

Sometimes I have to remember you're the guy who was shocked by segregation in 1971 long after it had actually ended.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    That's nice but lynching which, as far as it had anything to do with race and innocent people, was a product of racism and white supremacy. Secondly, the author isn't claiming what Common is claiming.

Sometimes I have to remember you're the guy who was shocked by segregation in 1971 long after it had actually ended.
    I am compelled to ask if you were there at Fork Polk in 1971 when I was there.
    I bet not.
    Therefore you have no capability to have a valid opinion as to what I experienced at that time.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

+ Reply to Thread