User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Masks should not be a political issue, dammit!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to control other people should not be a political issue!

Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

donttread (07-01-2020),Peter1469 (07-01-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when did your health become my responsibility? When did we decide as a society that we're all responsible for each other? What happened to simply taking responsibility for yourself and letting others make their own choices? Why does every "solution" to the exaggerated coronavirus problem involve controlling and bossing other people? Why won't you petty tyrants just STFU and mind your own business for once in your lives?
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-01-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --John Adams

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

donttread (07-01-2020),Newpublius (07-01-2020)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Not breathing always works. Quality of life is a measurement that some people include in their restrictions vs risk decisions.
    Haha, not breathing always works... yes. But do consider that the virus makes some people stop breathing... And quality of life may be severely damaged for the estimated 5% of patients who are coming out of the infections with permanent lung scarring and constant shortness of breath. You might want to look at two posts, #226 and #227, and explore the links there, in the thread about the Ostrich Strategy.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...=1#post2904562

You can't promise anyone any level comfort because contact also spreads the virus. You don't know who touched that can on the grocery store shelf. People are constantly touching their masks that they reuse...
    Nobody should get "comfortable" just because they are wearing a mask. They should continue to practice 6ft distancing, hand washing/hand sanitizer, and should avoid touching their faces including touching their masks. A mask is an added precaution, not a substitute precaution. But as a matter of fact, subsequent research has mentioned only 2% of surface-to-person contamination, and 98% of person-to-person contamination so your grocery can scenario is not as dangerous as people assume.

Still...

I recently drove to a firing range 1 hour from my home, to practice with a new shotgun I had purchased. Two of the ladies there at the check-in counter were coughing non-stop. I had a mask (N95) and goggles but I was aware that maybe the mask had trapped viral particulates if these ladies were infected. And then I realized, darn, I forgot to bring my hand sanitizer!!! Well, I went ahead and practiced, as fast as I could, then drove back home. I knew I had touched surfaces and I had been in the presence of two coughing ladies... so I made a point of NOT removing my N95 with potentially soiled hands, and I waited to get home, where I thoroughly washed my hands with soap and water, disinfected surfaces I had touched with chlorox wipes including my shotgun, and *then* carefully and properly removing the mask while looking at myself in the mirror for proper technique.

The bottom line is, my face was itching and I was dying to scratch... but drove home for 60 minutes not scratching, and not touching my face.

If you're disciplined, you can do it. But the lay public won't, and won't even know how (even to wash hands, there is a proper professional technique).

I saw an article saying that people touch their faces about 20 times per hour!!!
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,262x in 20,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    Yes. (except that people wearing masks are not paranoid. I've already explained this point to you)
    you are not aware of the Human Condition when you demand we should all wear masks.
    Are you a stockholder for some mask manufacturer?
    Since you admit Fauci has lied numerous times, why should we trust what he says now?
    Listen, EVERYBODY will be exposed before this is over. EVERYONE will come into contact with the virus one way or another. Masks will do nothing except slow down the inevitable. Masks do not prevent contact and does not prevent you from getting it.
    Trying to avoid this train wreck is impossible. It is like running away from a nuclear blast.
    When I go out into public, I see hands grabbing all kinds of things. Door handles, objects handled by other shoppers, etc. Even if you wear gloves, all you are doing is spreading the virus. Wear gloves, touch multiple objects, the next guy who isn't wearing gloves gets it. He passes it along when he touches something. The most casual contact equals ongoing spreading.
    We need herd immunity. It will be the only way to overcome this.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CDC lied, confessedly. They were trying to preserve masks for healthcare workers and avoid a run to masks. When they realized that masks went sold out anyway because China gobbled them all up, they changed their tune.

I mean, what are they called? PPE. Personal PROTECTIVE Equipment. Of course they work. Otherwise, why would they want to conserve them for healthcare workers?

Do you think that when a healthcare worker is dressed head to toe with gowns, masks, and face shields when treating COVID-19 patients, they are trying to... protect the already heavily contaminated patient from what, catching the virus that is already rampant by billions of copies inside the patient? Of course not. They are trying to avoid catching the disease themselves. They are protecting themselves. Masks protect.

What do you mean, no new science? There are scientific studies showing the efficacy of masks, released all the time!
    There's something a lot of mask-promoting folks (who mean well) miss. The N95 masks that everyone is trying to buy will not keep an infected person from spreading the virus. These are masks that are intended to be worn in a contaminated environment ONLY to protect the one wearing the mask. That little one-way exhalation valve spews the virus (if the person has it) right into the air.

If the argument is that wearing a mask keeps infected folks from spreading the virus, be aware that you can't protect anyone if you're infected and you're wearing this mask.

There are surgical N95 masks as well that do not have the valve, and those are more effective at preventing virus spew.

Homemade cloth masks probably all differ in protective ability, depending on the cloth, whether a filter was added, etc., but they're likely not too great at containing or protecting against a virus.

Note the warning on the bottom of the mask. They're not risk-free.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (07-01-2020),Peter1469 (07-01-2020),stjames1_53 (07-01-2020)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CDC lied, confessedly. They were trying to preserve masks for healthcare workers and avoid a run to masks. When they realized that masks went sold out anyway because China gobbled them all up, they changed their tune.

I mean, what are they called? PPE. Personal PROTECTIVE Equipment. Of course they work. Otherwise why would they want to conserve them for healthcare workers?

Do you think that when a healthcare worker is dressed head to toe with gowns, masks, and face shields when treating COVID-19 patients, they are trying to... protect the already heavily contaminated patient from what, catching the virus that is already rampant by billions of copies inside the patient? Of course not. They are trying to avoid catching the disease themselves. They are protecting themselves. Masks protect.

What do you mean, no new science? There are scientific studies showing the efficacy of masks, released all the time!

So their explaination is that they lied? Confidence inspiring! The healthcare worker is going to get all kinds of secrections on them, you walking by someone in the store are not. Also healthcare workers know how to use PPE, we do not as evidenced by people constantly touching their mask/face and then items in the store. I thought we were told the mask protected other people not us? Or was that another well intended government lie?
    When the CDC made the change what new science was it based on, exactly??

12. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (07-01-2020)

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 2,855
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,056x in 14,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, what are they called? PPE. Personal PROTECTIVE Equipment. Of course they work. Otherwise why would they want to conserve them for healthcare workers?
    And here is why so much surrounding this virus is so divisive LIES

You have the CDC lying as you have stated.

You have Gov's Cooking the books and inflating the cases especially those in the States run with a D

Then you have the State run by the R's they are playing it down Also a Lie

Then you have the medical community that gets paid more if it is Covid 19 and they are cooking the books.

When you have this much dishonesty, they everything is going to be about the politics.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (07-01-2020),Peter1469 (07-01-2020)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,666
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,164x in 6,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been saying it over and over, but it is refreshing to see someone else saying it too, and drawing an interesting comparison to WWII... I've said in another thread today that instead of being united to combat a common enemy (the virus) we are at each others' throats with the maskless people yelling "sheep" at the masked ones, and the masked ones yelling "covidiot" at the maskless ones.

So, this doctor, in a specialized publication for physicians, is venting his frustration with the issue of masks being politicized, instead of simply being seen as a matter of public health:

https://www.mdedge.com/neurology/art...VID-19 vaccine
    I would say that in about 99% of those wearing masks, the masks are useless. They don't wear them right, they are not the right material and make things worse. Masks, for the left, have become a way to virtue signal.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-01-2020)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Trying to control other people should not be a political issue!

Post of the day! Nor should trying to control other people be "a thing" that we give attention or respect to.

This could of been handled by choice. If you wish to self isolate, wear mask, go in a bunker, shop at 3 AM then do so. If you wish to open your business with no restrictions and people want to do business there then do that.
    How am I a risk to someone who chooses to hide in there house?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Cletus (07-01-2020),Ethereal (07-01-2020),Peter1469 (07-01-2020)

+ Reply to Thread