User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Happens to Your Brain When You Stop Drinking Alcohol?

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,633x in 25,169 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post What Happens to Your Brain When You Stop Drinking Alcohol?

What Happens to Your Brain When You Stop Drinking Alcohol?

Full disclosure: I don't drink. When I say I don't drink, I'm not militant about it, we have it in the house, I just come from a long line of drunks, my brothers are drunks, my uncles were drunks, my dad was a drunk so I don't drink - or rather if I have 2-3 beers or drinks in a year that'd be a surprise. Maybe at a football game. Maybe at a wedding. A cold hot day after working in the yard, an ice cold beer perhaps. A lot of my clients know that they'll finish a beer if I order one. I don't need it; been there done that. My kids have never seen me drunk. I don't know if my kids have ever seen my one brother sober.

Anyways, this article discusses what happens to your body after you've quit. Pretty interesting....

After One Week - After roughly seven days of abstaining, you’ll begin to reap the mental and emotional benefits. First and foremost, you’ll sleep better, resulting in increased energy, improved mood, and sharpened cognitive function.

After One Month - This is when meaningful reflection and long-term lifestyle shifts may come into play. Without the cravings, sleep deprivation, and mood swings that can come with partying and hangovers, you may find it easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab

5ee253d1b0547.jpg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (07-08-2020),Collateral Damage (07-08-2020),Peter1469 (07-08-2020)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,659x in 1,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quit after my third heart attack. Alcohol is Hell on the heart! That was in 2002.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mini Me For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (07-08-2020),Peter1469 (07-08-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I drink once or twice a year.

It is interesting to imagine the positive impact of not drinking, but it seems to usually be more persuasive to look at some of the really scary things that can happen with long-term chronic use/abuse, like Korsakoff syndrome (or Wernicke-Korsakoff). Imaging studies of the brain after years of alcohol abuse often show similar changes found in dementia patients because the brain basically shrinks.

Nothing scares me more than the idea of living with severe cognitive deficits. Both of my grandfathers were alcoholics so no one in my family has ever drunk excessively. My mom and dad never drank in front of us (quit before my older brother was born), with the exception of my mom once when I was 15 or 16. It was not until after my grandfather died that my grandmother would even have wine in the house for special dinners (like Christmas).

It's kind of taboo in my family.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (07-08-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    What Happens to Your Brain When You Stop Drinking Alcohol?

Full disclosure: I don't drink. When I say I don't drink, I'm not militant about it, we have it in the house, I just come from a long line of drunks, my brothers are drunks, my uncles were drunks, my dad was a drunk so I don't drink - or rather if I have 2-3 beers or drinks in a year that'd be a surprise. Maybe at a football game. Maybe at a wedding. A cold hot day after working in the yard, an ice cold beer perhaps. A lot of my clients know that they'll finish a beer if I order one. I don't need it; been there done that. My kids have never seen me drunk. I don't know if my kids have ever seen my one brother sober.

Anyways, this article discusses what happens to your body after you've quit. Pretty interesting....

After One Week - After roughly seven days of abstaining, you’ll begin to reap the mental and emotional benefits. First and foremost, you’ll sleep better, resulting in increased energy, improved mood, and sharpened cognitive function.

After One Month - This is when meaningful reflection and long-term lifestyle shifts may come into play. Without the cravings, sleep deprivation, and mood swings that can come with partying and hangovers, you may find it easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab

Attachment 30186
    This article is about when a moderate drinker doesn't drink- what happens to your brain.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,483x in 15,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first and last time I had anything alcoholic to drink was in January, 1977.

I remember it clearly because I didn't like the sensation and just told myself "Okay, I don't need to do that again", and that was it.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (07-08-2020),DGUtley (07-08-2020),Peter1469 (07-08-2020)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my misbegotten youth, I likely drank more before being of legal age then I have in all the years since. I think throwing up next to a cops shoes during a traffic stop was the highlight.

Once I was of age, it was maybe one drink every couple of months. In the decades since, I could likely count on one hand, and in recent years, none at all. Don't miss it.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-08-2020)

+ Reply to Thread