Members banned from this thread: Mister D and Chris

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What Kind of Country Do You Really Want to Live In?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jefferson also spoke of an aristocratic conspiracy to transform the nascent republic into a monarchy...

...Consolidation becomes the 4th chapter of the next book of their (the federalist party) history. but this opens with a vast accession of strength from their younger recruits, who having nothing in them of the feelings or principles of ’76 now look to a single and splendid government of an Aristocracy, founded on banking institutions and monied in corporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry. this will be to them a next best blessing to the Monarchy of their first aim, and perhaps the surest stepping stone to it.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thom Paine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226x in 740 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stealing a movie description and a statement from that film for an answer :
    Monte Walsh (1970)
    An aging cowboy realizes that the West he knew and loved will soon be no more--and that there will be no room for him, either.

"I've outlived the country I loved", Monte Walsh (Lee Marvin)

personally, to the above I whisper "amen" ..

have a great day, y'all.
    "I've outlived the country I loved" Monte Walsh 1970

"Remember: On the other side of that screen is a real person" (Missouri Mule)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Thom Paine For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (07-09-2020)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A country that actually honors the Constitution, something this one very rarely has.

Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    Stealing a movie description and a statement from that film for an answer :
    Monte Walsh (1970)
    An aging cowboy realizes that the West he knew and loved will soon be no more--and that there will be no room for him, either.

"I've outlived the country I loved", Monte Walsh (Lee Marvin)

personally, to the above I whisper "amen" ..

have a great day, y'all.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Thom Paine (07-09-2020)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I am very concerned. I do think that the best way out of our present difficulties and conflicts is not to toss out our most important institutions, but I admittedly don't have the answer. Free speech is under assault. Look at free speech and the recent anti-cancel-culture letter and the outcry it has caused. To me, free speech is the most important thing and the largest threat to that is the PC Culture. I grew up believing (still do) in free speech. Suck it up buttercup. Nazi's march in Skokie. The Crucifix in the Urine art thingy. Don't care: It is the most despicable of speech that is the most worthy of protection. The problem I see is that media employees are supporting (even Ezra Klein) the suppression of Free Speech -- and they're all lefties. (I wouldn't care if they were all righties - they'd be as equally dangerous) The slippery slope we are on is incredibly dangerous. I don't care who offends whom. Free speech is free speech. Personally, I would never... but I have the right to - and the right to do so is very important. When we chip away at those rights eventually we'll have none.
    As you well know - but as certain others, it appears, seem to easily lose sight of - the Constitution only protects speech from being abridged by the government. If a television network fires a commentator, or a sports team fires a coach, or any private business sanctions an employee for something they said or wrote, they are only violating that individual's "free speech" in the sense that the phrase has taken on in casual conversation - not in the legal sphere. When the U.S. government, or any lesser jurisdiction, begins putting people in jail for expressing an unpopular or controversial view, I will be the first to decry such a trend. In the meantime, I'm for setting a good example and for not referring to the fallout from P.C. culture as a loss of "free speech".
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (07-09-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,579x in 25,136 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    As you well know - but as certain others, it appears, seem to easily lose sight of - the Constitution only protects speech from being abridged by the government. If a television network fires a commentator, or a sports team fires a coach, or any private business sanctions an employee for something they said or wrote, they are only violating that individual's "free speech" in the sense that the phrase has taken on in casual conversation - not in the legal sphere. When the U.S. government, or any lesser jurisdiction, begins putting people in jail for expressing an unpopular or controversial view, I will be the first to decry such a trend. In the meantime, I'm for setting a good example and for not referring to the fallout from P.C. culture as a loss of "free speech".
    That's true. However, I think the PC Culture can impact Free Speech. For example: We have a situation in NE Ohio where Meijers Grocery Store is canceling the sponsorship of a county fair b/c the vendors sell the confederate flag. They expect the Lorain County Fair Board to refuse to permit vendors to sell the flag. I'm trouble by that b/c some could see the flag as political speech. Fair Boards in Ohio are governmental entities. The Fair Board will do it and deal with the issue later, as other fair boards have done. We've seen PC cause the cancellation of speeches in public venues b/c of the outcry at colleges, parks etc. I think this is dangerous. Having said that, yes, legal Free Speech chilling or infringement requires governmental action.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (07-09-2020)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A country with it written into its Constitution that we have the natural right to keep and bears arms to defend ourselves against violations of the Constitution by the goverment.
    Where I think a useful conversation could arise from that sentiment is contained in the question, "Under what circumstances would a violent, armed response be appropriate and justified?" Almost without exception I believe most folks would agree that shooting in protecting life and property is both appropriate and justified; but I think that principle goes seriously off the rails when, as some have suggested, the mayor who directs the police to stand down and let the rioters run wild should be shot. Or that the prosecutor who brings charges against a store owner for protecting his property with deadly force should be shot. Even if we were to hold that the Constitution had been violated in some way by one or more of those officials - and I'm not saying that such a legal argument couldn't be made - is a descent into criminality, even murder, the best answer anyone can come up with?

If you had or have now some other example of a Constitutional violation by the government - past, present or theoretical - that you believe would justify and be best met with an armed response, please bring it up; I might agree with you.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If a television network fires a commentator, or a sports team fires a coach, or any private business sanctions an employee for something they said or wrote, they are only violating that individual's "free speech" in the sense that the phrase has taken on in casual conversation - not in the legal sphere.
    Would that that were consistently held true for public accommodation laws...
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our government is trash and does whatever it wants. You don't even have the right to have a business or congregate in public. What rights do we really have? The curtain has been lowered.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (07-10-2020)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether its a company or University stifling free speech or whatever, its the left doing it or forcing it.

A girl was accepted into Marquette they found out she was an active trump supporter and were going to deny her admission

Several shows have been suddenly canceled by the PC crowd...there are NUMEROUS incidents across the country of stifling of free speech by city govts and state

Trying to pass whats going off as just a few people or corporations acting on their own is an utter misrepresentation of the truth...its widespread and its all liberals.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-09-2020)

+ Reply to Thread