User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Public Health-like Announcement: beware of counterfeit N95 respirators; other masks

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay, Trump is finally wearing a mask in public!!!

trump mask.JPG

Thank you, Mr. President. By the way, that's a great look for you, sir. Keep it up. More people will do it if you lead by example!
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay, I found how to verify if the KN95 masks are approved by the FDA. Look at Appendix A on this link and see if yours is listed.

I have KN95s at home from three different makers in China... neither one is approved! I guess I wasted my money.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...equipment-euas

Recap: KN95 is the Chinese standard that supposedly delivers filtration equivalent to our NIOSH N95, but these masks are actually more comfortable to use. However like everything coming from China, many are counterfeit and only *pretend* to follow the KN95 standard despite having the acronym printed on the mask. According to the FDA, the ones that ARE included in their approved list have been tested and meet standards. I actually believe in it because they published a second list with others that used to be approved but no longer are because on retest they failed, so it looks like they are indeed doing ongoing testing.

Anyway, my 2 packages, which weren't cheap, I'll donate to a local charity because they may be less bad than cloth masks...

Fortunately I do have N95s NIOSH certified left and another package on its way, so I guess I'll just do away with the comfort of the KN95s.

I also have some FFP2, the European Union standard, but I haven't learned yet how to verify if mine are legit.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-14-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,549x in 94,400 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Yay, I found how to verify if the KN95 masks are approved by the FDA. Look at Appendix A on this link and see if yours is listed.

I have KN95s at home from three different makers in China... neither one is approved! I guess I wasted my money.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...equipment-euas

Recap: KN95 is the Chinese standard that supposedly delivers filtration equivalent to our NIOSH N95, but these masks are actually more comfortable to use. However like everything coming from China, many are counterfeit and only *pretend* to follow the KN95 standard despite having the acronym printed on the mask. According to the FDA, the ones that ARE included in their approved list have been tested and meet standards. I actually believe in it because they published a second list with others that used to be approved but no longer are because on retest they failed, so it looks like they are indeed doing ongoing testing.

Anyway, my 2 packages, which weren't cheap, I'll donate to a local charity because they may be less bad than cloth masks...

Fortunately I do have N95s NIOSH certified left and another package on its way, so I guess I'll just do away with the comfort of the KN95s.

I also have some FFP2, the European Union standard, but I haven't learned yet how to verify if mine are legit.
    That is what Chi-na doesL cheat.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That is what Chi-na doesL cheat.
    Indeed. I hate it. Why in the hell we're still ceding our means of production to them? We need to cancel all contracts we have with them and restart manufacturing at home. We pay higher salaries to our laborers and that will bring up some inflation, but I'd rather have some inflation now but have reliable essential goodies like PPEs (and many other important sectors that now over-depend on China) than to have Americans dying because of these cheaters.

Statistically speaking it is likely that someone somewhere caught this virus due to relying on Chinese substandard counterfeit masks. It's despicable.

I think we need to increase domestic production of PPE by executive order. Mr. President, look at it!

Not to forget, if we beef up manufacturing in the USA, we'll take care of the unemployment problem. People who lost other jobs may be employed in PPE factories.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Indeed. I hate it. Why in the hell we're still ceding our means of production to them? We need to cancel all contracts we have with them and restart manufacturing at home. We pay higher salaries to our laborers and that will bring up some inflation, but I'd rather have some inflation now but have reliable essential goodies like PPEs (and many other important sectors that now over-depend on China) than to have Americans dying because of these cheaters.

Statistically speaking it is likely that someone somewhere caught this virus due to relying on Chinese substandard counterfeit masks. It's despicable.

I think we need to increase domestic production of PPE by executive order. Mr. President, look at it!

Not to forget, if we beef up manufacturing in the USA, we'll take care of the unemployment problem. People who lost other jobs may be employed in PPE factories.
    We need to bring back a lot more manufacturing then just masks.

Unfortunately, there are some that believe anything that is done to improve the manufacturing environment as an incentive to bring it back here, as corporate welfare. While I am sure some would bring manufacturing back here just on general principals, the cost of start up is astronomical.

How willing are people to accept breaks and incentives for a business to bring manufacturing back here, for the offset of jobs, tax revenues and pride in something made here in the US?
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    We need to bring back a lot more manufacturing then just masks.

Unfortunately, there are some that believe anything that is done to improve the manufacturing environment as an incentive to bring it back here, as corporate welfare. While I am sure some would bring manufacturing back here just on general principals, the cost of start up is astronomical.

How willing are people to accept breaks and incentives for a business to bring manufacturing back here, for the offset of jobs, tax revenues and pride in something made here in the US?
    Yes, that's why I said "and many other important sectors."

Yes, I agree. The Left doesn't seem to really understand that a country without means of production is abdicating of its national security and its sovereignty. And they also don't seem to understand that if you over-tax and over-regulate the productive sectors of the economy, they will just bail out and go to Mexico or China... which is exactly what happened, and now we're in deep trouble.

When there is a crisis, China is not about to deprive themselves of critically important items for their own national security (such as PPE when facing a dangerous pandemic) to send them to us. We need to make them here.

I hope that when this pandemic is over, some lessons will have been learned. But I'm not optimistic because we're in such a staunch divisiveness, that no sensible idea will prevail, because if a party comes up with it, the other party will automatically oppose it regardless of its merits, and we'll remain paralyzed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (07-14-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here, from the European Union, is a long list of makers, mostly Chinese, that are falsifying their certificates that are supposed to be issued to legitimate FFP2 respirators (their equivalent to our N95s).

https://www.eu-esf.org/covid-19/4513...icates-for-ppe

+ Reply to Thread