User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Health-like Announcement: beware of counterfeit N95 respirators; other masks

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Public Health-like Announcement: beware of counterfeit N95 respirators; other masks

I'm posting this as a sort of public health-like announcement (haha, one that originates just from this one tPF member, not from real public health authorities, of course, thus the word -like added to it; take it or leave it; maybe you shouldn't read it if you are not interested in wearing masks.

But if you do, know the following, please:

There's been a flood of counterfeit masks sold online and shipped mostly from China to America, claiming that they are NIOSH-approved N95 respirators. The CDC has a page with pictures of those fake respirators (dozens and dozens of them) and instructions on how to recognize the legitimate ones.

Beware, the fake ones do NOT deliver the protection against coronavirus-sized particulates that the legitimate ones deliver.

a) NO masks claiming to be N95 respirators but having earloops rather than elastic straps that go behind the head, are approved by the CDC/NIOSH. None. So, if your mask has an earloop and is claiming to be NIOSH-approved, it's a counterfeit. (It's cheaper to provide earloops than elastic straps so the overwhelming majority of counterfeits use ear loops).

b) The respirators need to have the words NIOSH N95 stamped on the masks themselves, together with a certificate number and the name of the manufacturer. On the CDC site you can look them up both by certificate numbers and by manufacturers by alphabetic order. The latter link is here:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topi...ist1sect3.html

c) For the approved masks, the CDC pages I linked to above, have hyperlinks that take you directly to the true and legitimate manufacturer, not to vendors claiming to represent them, which often will print the legitimate maker's certificate number and logo on their own and fake masks, unbeknownst to the legitimate manufacturer. It's best to buy directly from the approved manufacturers, when they have them in stock and are selling to the general public rather than just to organizations like hospitals and clinics. Some do sell to the general public. I won't place links to manufacturers that sell to the public here because it could be considered spam, but if you are persistent, you'll find them (I did, and just bought a box with 20).

d) All masks sized for children and claiming to be NIOSH N95 are counterfeit. The CDC/NIOSH have never approved an N95 suitable for children.

e) No masks simply marked KN95 which is a Chinese standard, or FFP2 which is a European Union standard, have been endorsed by the CDC/NIOSH. This said, the FDA has issued emergency equivalences and has considered that the KN95 standard (which is also rated as 95% filtration of small particulates) and the FFP2 standard (with is rated for 94%) are acceptable in emergency bases during the COVID-19 pandemic when true NIOSH N95s are not available. KN95s do have earloops and are generally more comfortable to wear than N95s.

Now, while it seems like KN95 and FFP2 are acceptable standards, I have no information on counterfeits pretending to adhere to these standards, and I don't know how to check if the manufacturers of those are legit, so I'd rather stick with the NIOSH N95s.

N95 masks are best when professionally fit and individually tested for seal (and no facial hair please; it will defeat the seal; gentlemen, shave daily). In the absence of a professional test you can do two things to test the seal. Rub hand sanitizer in your hand and compare the alcohol smell with and without the mask. A good seal should make the smell significantly less intense. Also, if you wear glasses, blow forcefully on the mask. A good seal should not allow the air to leak up around your nose and fog your glasses especially if the mask has an exhalation valve. If the seal is not good you can do three things: reposition the nose metal piece and the elastic straps. Still not good? Tie up a little loop on the elastic straps to make them tighter. Still not good? A neoprene rubber brace as referenced below will do it.

I hope the above is useful to someone looking for better protection than cloth masks and procedure masks (which by the way, if you go for them, verify that they are at least ASTM level 1, better if level 2 or 3. ASTM-grade procedure masks are again available in the market but the OVERWHELMING majority of the masks you see on Amazon and pharmacies and grocery stores are NOT ASTM-grade and are not intended for medical use (although they externally may look the same). Again, with persistence, true ASTMs ARE available from reputable makers, usually the same ones who make certified N95s so with persistence you can find both directly from the same maker and have them both shipped to you. I did find ONE vendor on Amazon with ASTM level 1 masks, and ONE with ASTM level 3, but oh boy, it wasn't easy. Now that I learned how to locate legitimate N95s, I realized that true ASTM masks are often also available from the same makers.

I like to have both N95s and ASTM level 3s for different situations - the former for shorter periods in more heavily contaminated areas; the latter for longer use out in the community.

If you go for a procedure mask (cheaper and easier to use for longer periods), do make sure that,

1) It is at least ASTM level 1, preferably 2 or 3
    2) Because procedure masks are loose on the face, you should wear them with a device to enhance the seal, such as three interlaced rubber bands or a neoprene rubber sheet brace, both of which you can learn how to make, from the open-source, free, not-for-profit website fixthemask.com - a neoprene rubber sheet of the correct thickness can be bought for about $25 and you can make 15 washable and reusable braces with one sheet. The website above tells you where to buy the correct sheets, and how to cut them to size (you can download and print a free template).

Finally, eye protection is also important. You can wear face shields, but even better would be medical-grade goggles. Again, beware of just any goggles. Some have ventilation holes, and some others have ventilation valves permanently open. While they are still way better than nothing, these do NOT entirely protect your eyes against fine particulate aerosol clouds in highly contaminated areas. But you do find those who have no ventilation openings, or even better, the ones I purchased, those that have valves for ventilation that can be opened and closed (pull up, open; so that they don't get foggy in non-dangerous places ; push down, closed, in more contaminated situations - they may fog a little with the vents closed, but you won't get the virus).

-------------

I am sure that someone will post some "funny" observation that this is paranoia and even better would be a space suit, and I'm a Chicken Little who wants to spread panic for partisan purposes (the latter is 100% untrue; but if you want to call me paranoid or Chicken Little, do as you wish. I have my reasons to be careful).

If you've read this long post though, I'll assume that you *are* interested in highly protective masks. If you aren't, you can just skim through and post a joke or even a personal attack if you want; I don't care. I post this in good faith, trying to be helpful to other people like me who have worrisome underlying medical condition and work in highly contaminated areas (therefore need tighter protection), or simply feel like being more protected when they go out and about.

You don't want to wear any mask, be my guest. It's up to you to decide. I'm thoroughly against any mandatory orders to wear masks by governors and mayors, and I'm instead, for education and for every American to decide on his/her own, as citizens of the free country we're lucky to live in. But if you do want to wear one, and you'd like it to be better than cloth masks, I'm glad to provide this information; take it or leave it. Thank you for your attention.
    Last edited by CenterField; 07-11-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

Lummy (07-11-2020),Peter1469 (07-11-2020)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the masks are counterfeit. Remarkable mark up on these products. Hand sanitizer. You can make your own if you actually felt the need to do so. Cutting the sleeve off a tee shirtand pulling it on your face is as effective as buying these worthless masks. People are throwing masks down on the ground once they leave a store. They wear them under their noses!! They touch their masks almost as much as they touch their faces. Social Distancing: You have a 1/3836 chance of contracting covid without social distancing. 1/852,000 of being hospitalized with covid and 1/19.1 million chances of dying with covid. It appears to me that somehow in spite of hysterical reactions, people are developing herd immunity.

I would like to know why every commercial break one sees a 'PSA' for staying home, wearing masks, social distancing. Why you see even republicans pushing this nonsense. It is nonsense. What is the goal behind this. It isn't health. Is this a social experiment? It appears so. If they cared about health, then why would the medical authorities have killed the 46 year old black man in texas who was a quadripelegic who developed covid and the hospital through the courts took his care away from his wife and family and put his life in the hands of some texas guardian organization who gave the hospital the go ahead to allow him to die. Just like the british national health care system that unmercifully decreed the deaths of children over the past 8 years.

I thought we were headed in this direction but it looks as if we have arrived.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 07-11-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Thom Paine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226x in 740 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info for those who choose to wear masks.
    out of respect for the business that requests face covering, I wear a bandana.
    "I've outlived the country I loved" Monte Walsh 1970

"Remember: On the other side of that screen is a real person" (Missouri Mule)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to wonder how many businesses took 'the knee' for the Nazi party. I can see this submission in european countries...they don't have the level of freedom that Americans do. I am simply confused and dismayed at the number of Americans that don't see this as an assault on their personal freedom and the freedom of this nation.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplePamDowdy View Post
    All of the masks are counterfeit. Remarkable mark up on these products. Hand sanitizer. You can make your own if you actually felt the need to do so. Cutting the sleeve off a tee shirtand pulling it on your face is as effective as buying these worthless masks. People are throwing masks down on the ground once they leave a store. They wear them under their noses!! They touch their masks almost as much as they touch their faces. Social Distancing: You have a 1/3836 chance of contracting covid without social distancing. 1/852,000 of being hospitalized with covid and 1/19.1 million chances of dying with covid. It appears to me that somehow in spite of hysterical reactions, people are developing herd immunity.

I would like to know why every commercial break one sees a 'PSA' for staying home, wearing masks, social distancing. Why you see even republicans pushing this nonsense. It is nonsense. What is the goal behind this. It isn't health. Is this a social experiment? It appears so. If they cared about health, then why would the medical authorities have killed the 46 year old black man in texas who was a quadripelegic who developed covid and the hospital through the courts took his care away from his wife and family and put his life in the hands of some texas guardian organization who gave the hospital the go ahead to allow him to die. Just like the british national health care system that unmercifully decreed the deaths of children over the past 8 years.

I thought we were headed in this direction but it looks as if we have arrived.
    Sigh... this post has so many misguided and wrong opinions that frontally contradict science that I don't even have the energy to tell you why. You know what? I won't miss you. Good bye. Over and out, as far as you're concerned. Have a nice life; stay safe.
    Last edited by CenterField; 07-11-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    Good info for those who choose to wear masks.
    out of respect for the business that requests face covering, I wear a bandana.
    Yeah, sure, do whatever you want. Just so that you know, bandanas' filtration rate for the SARS-CoV-2, in a study, was 2%. So bravo, you're avoiding 2% of exposure, and taking in 98%. Great odds. Whatever you want, champ. If you catch the virus and get really sick, don't complain, OK? After all, it was your choice.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,749
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,079x in 28,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who would be surprised that the country that was purposefully killing our animals by using melamine to boost protein count which saved them money. It was also consumed by farm animals that were consumed by humans.

If you look at what people ar buying at Walmart, pharmacies etc... then none of them say NIOSH or they are sold out. They give descriptions to sound like N-95 but they are KN-95 or less.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    If you look at what people ar buying at Walmart, pharmacies etc... then none of them say NIOSH or they are sold out. They give descriptions to sound like N-95 but they are KN-95 or less.
    I know. That's why I'm indicating how to get the real N95s and the real ASTMs. I said as much; the medical grade masks are not what you get at pharmacies or grocery stores.

You need to look up a reputable maker from the CDC/NIOSH approved list and contact them directly, and have them ship the masks directly to you. It's feasible. I've done it. It takes a little time and research but it is much better than buying (sometimes for top dollar) counterfeit and inefficient imitations.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Thom Paine's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226x in 740 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Yeah, sure, do whatever you want. Just so that you know, bandanas' filtration rate for the SARS-CoV-2, in a study, was 2%. So bravo, you're avoiding 2% of exposure, and taking in 98%. Great odds. Whatever you want, champ. If you catch the virus and get really sick, don't complain, OK? After all, it was your choice.
    Thank you for caring
    have a great day.
    "I've outlived the country I loved" Monte Walsh 1970

"Remember: On the other side of that screen is a real person" (Missouri Mule)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    Thank you for caring
    have a great day.
    I was in a bad mood this afternoon. Kind of sick and tired of all the deniers. I do care. My entire posting on this is trying to alert people so that they get more careful. Sorry, I shouldn't have been this harsh. Stay safe, have a great day too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

Thom Paine (07-11-2020)

+ Reply to Thread