User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How climate change alarmists are actually endangering the planet

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How climate change alarmists are actually endangering the planet

The reactions to this are predictable. There will be ad homs--Lomborg is not a denier but a lukewarmist. There will be the usual pointing to headlines of unread aticles on climate change when the topic is what to do about git.

Bjorn Lomborg, How climate change alarmists are actually endangering the planet

...This alarmism is not only false but morally unjust. It leads us to make poor decisions based on fear, when the world not only has gotten better, but will be even better over the century.

...The UN Climate Panel’s middle-of-the-road estimate for the end of the century is that we will be even better off. There will be virtually no one left in extreme poverty, everyone will be much better educated, and the average income per person in the world will be 450 percent of what it is today. Yet, because climate is a real challenge, it will leave us less well off. Based on three decades of studies, the UN and the world’s only Nobel climate economist estimate global warming will reduce the 21st century welfare increase from 450 percent to “only” 434 percent of today’s income.

Clearly, this is a problem. But a 3.6 percent reduction by the end of the century is not an existential threat. Resorting to panic and hysteria is unlikely to help. Indeed, one of the UN Climate Panel authors warned against this: “We risk turning off the public with extremist talk that is not carefully supported by the science.”

...Spending 16 percent of a nation’s income to solve a smaller part of a 3.6 percent problem is bad policy. Moreover, it is unlikely to happen. We need smarter solutions.

Climate economic studies convincingly show that one of the best investments to fix climate in the medium run is to invest heavily in green R&D. Because research is cheap, we can explore many avenues, from better renewables and battery storage, to carbon capture and fusion, fission, carbon-neutral oil-producing algae, and more. If we can innovate on the price of green energy down below that of fossil fuels, everyone will switch — not just well-meaning rich people, but also most Chinese, Indians and Africans. The models show that each dollar invested in green energy R&D will avoid eleven dollars of climate damage.

It’s imperative that we shift our focus to such smart efforts — efforts that have been shown throughout history to work. We should tackle climate smartly, and also make sure that a monomaniacal focus on climate change doesn’t crowd out urgent investments in the many other, crucially important issues of health, education, jobs and nutrition.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Sunsettommy (08-12-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,566x in 94,410 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Climate Alarmists hate the Lukewarmists more than the
    "Deniers."
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-13-2020)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Through the politicized, inefficient, ill informed medical info authorities we are being advised to turn off the Air Conditioning because of the threat of swirling covid virus in the air. Considering the high temperatures the country is experiencig right now, imagine the number of heat related deaths that will follow and be blamed on The President but the death certificate will say with covid.

This winter i have no doubt we will be told to avoid forced air heating for the same reason and there will be more covid related freezing deaths.

These bureaucrats put this information out there and cause more harm and they know this. It will all be The President's fault.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-13-2020),Sunsettommy (08-05-2020)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplePamDowdy View Post
    Through the politicized, inefficient, ill informed medical info authorities we are being advised to turn off the Air Conditioning because of the threat of swirling covid virus in the air. Considering the high temperatures the country is experiencig right now, imagine the number of heat related deaths that will follow and be blamed on The President but the death certificate will say with covid.

This winter i have no doubt we will be told to avoid forced air heating for the same reason and there will be more covid related freezing deaths.

These bureaucrats put this information out there and cause more harm and they know this. It will all be The President's fault.

Judith Curry called climate change a "wicked problem." It certainly is, and politicians seem capable of only the simplest of actions, like turning off A/C, forgetting high temps coming.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Judith Curry called climate change a "wicked problem." It certainly is, and politicians seem capable of only the simplest of actions, like turning off A/C, forgetting high temps coming.
    Wait till they decide that we must de-populate. Perhaps that is the goal of the Gates/Fauci Covid Vaccine. The virus seems to target the elderly with health problems which is interesting. They're the same people that Brock Obama wanted to give them a pill and send them home and tell them to have a nice remainder of your life.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-14-2020),Peter1469 (07-14-2020)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplePamDowdy View Post

I will continue to set my thermostat at 72 degrees all year long.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,566x in 94,410 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    68 here.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    I keep mine pretty high too, to keep the bills low. And low in the winter. Hey, I'm doing my part!

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I keep mine pretty high too, to keep the bills low. And low in the winter. Hey, I'm doing my part!
    My AC is usually set at 76... I use it for humidity reduction. I much rather be warm, then cold. I can feel AC in my bones. Winter settings are around 70, but a wood stove or pellet stove (depending on if we get wood split and seasoned) is a little less precise then electric.

As to climate change and the attached alarmists, as the saying goes, when Al Gore gives up his plane and limo, and starts riding a bicycle, I'll take them seriously.

That all being said, being reasonably green is a choice. The difference is, I don't demand it of anyone else. I do what I think is the right thing, and others will do as they will.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-14-2020),Sunsettommy (08-05-2020)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,504x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)