Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,145x in 28,535 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    We seem to be missing several of our resident leftist. Where is Safety, Exotix, Common Sense?
    Marching in Portland and Seattle?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

pjohns (07-27-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Maybe programs specific to English lit are different, (particularly if there is some kind of creative writing aspect), but trust me, undergraduates generally do not get docked very much for not being able to spell or form proper sentences. This is/was a pet peeve of mine.

Say I had a major final worth 40% of the final grade. The rubric would break down the expectations for each portion, and "formatting, grammar and spelling" would generally be worth less than 5% of that final grade. Even if the prof cannot make sense of the paper, they have to find a way of seeing if the rest of the paper meets the rubric guidelines. In theory, you could just submit random words or a stream of consciousness and still get a 95% if you managed to hit the major points.

This really pissed me off for a while, but whatever.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (07-27-2020),MisterVeritis (07-27-2020)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Maybe programs specific to English lit are different, (particularly if there is some kind of creative writing aspect), but trust me, undergraduates generally do not get docked very much for not being able to spell or form proper sentences. This is/was a pet peeve of mine.

Say I had a major final worth 40% of the final grade. The rubric would break down the expectations for each portion, and "formatting, grammar and spelling" would generally be worth less than 5% of that final grade. Even if the prof cannot make sense of the paper, they have to find a way of seeing if the rest of the paper meets the rubric guidelines. In theory, you could just submit random words or a stream of consciousness and still get a 95% if you managed to hit the major points.

Seriously? And we wonder why some people use abbreviations such as U R or slaughter the spelling of basic words. So auto-correct doesn't apparently work for some people?
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When I went to university, long ago, things were different. English classes were dreaded because if you didn't write in proper English you failed.

I forget how I ended up in a Philosophy Dept program that offered tutoring in Engish to undergrads. We got a lot of Chicago innercity kids and to most of them it was a matter of pride to write the way they talked in the 'hood. I'd explain that's fine, for there, but here, you want to pass, eventually graduate, get a decent job, make money, raise a family better than you were, well, then you just have to learn this other language. Surprisingly a lot of them got it and tried and learned. Nowadays there's be great resistance to what I did.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-27-2020)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been more radical change in the past 5 years than any short time period before that. Lol at what this country has devolved into

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It took time for postmodernism to work its way out from philosophy departments and into education and psychology and nowadays even math ans science.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Seriously? And we wonder why some people use abbreviations such as U R or slaughter the spelling of basic words. So auto-correct doesn't apparently work for some people?
    Yeah. I would send you copies of the rubrics I still have but it would violate my own privacy.

I'm not a grammar nazi or something, but it feels like it should be worth more. It is probably the most applicable skill for a lot of college and university graduates.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I would send you copies of the rubrics I still have but it would violate my own privacy.
    I'm not a grammar nazi or something, but it feels like it should be worth more. It is probably the most applicable skill for a lot of college and university graduates.
    Everything in this world is based on communication, be it English, French, Italian, or any other language. Math, written words, verbal words. Without a standard, there will be miscommunication.

Imagine the chaos....
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Even most masochists will eventually tire of beating their head against a brick wall.
    So where's Exo?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My English 101 class certainly wasn't like that. That woman (although she looked like a girl) taught me to write. (I so wanted to use right instead).
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (07-27-2020)

+ Reply to Thread