User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Every Player Took A Knee During Thursday's NBA Game.....

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,464x in 20,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Since when is using the national anthem as a marketing tactic "patriotic"? The national anthem is not played at all national sporting events and it was only originally played at football games during WWII to help the war effort i.e. to gain support for U.S. participation, since it wasn't popular. Post-war, certain sports leagues discovered that imbuing sports with patriotism was great advertising and continued the practice. It also psychologically conflates sports with patriotism in the minds of the fans. Edward Bernays would be so proud.

No where else in the world is the national anthem played outside of international competitions with the exception of Canada where the practice spread because of US leagues operating on both sides of the border.

If the problem is the politicizing of the national anthem then the simple solution is to stop playing it at national sporting events.
    So, let the traitors have their way....................tell us how it turns out.
    Saying the pledge of allegiance appears to some to be unpatriotic. Maybe for the sake of the emotional ones, we should toss that in the trash with the Constitution and the DoI......gotcha
    please the spoiled children
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when is using the national anthem as a marketing tactic "patriotic"? The national anthem is not played at all national sporting events and it was only originally played at football games during WWII to help the war effort i.e. to gain support for U.S. participation, since it wasn't popular. Post-war, certain sports leagues discovered that imbuing sports with patriotism was great advertising and continued the practice. It also psychologically conflates sports with patriotism in the minds of the fans. Edward Bernays would be so proud.

No where else in the world is the national anthem played outside of international competitions with the exception of Canada where the practice spread because of US leagues operating on both sides of the border.

If the problem is the politicizing of the national anthem then the simple solution is to stop playing it at national sporting events.
    It may have once been a marketing tactic, but anymore, it's seen as a tradition -- a very patriotic tradition. Refusing to stand at attention seems not only disrespectful, but it also angers a good number of people.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-31-2020),MMC (07-31-2020),stjames1_53 (07-31-2020)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    It may have once been a marketing tactic, but anymore, it's seen as a tradition -- a very patriotic tradition. Refusing to stand at attention seems not only disrespectful, but it also angers a good number of people.
    Tell me, when the national anthem is played on TV, do you stand while it plays? Do you think that most people who stand for the anthem at ball games, stand for the anthem at home? If the national anthem is played for frivolous reasons, doesn't it start to lose the solemnity it is due?

Look at how the flag is abused. There are floor mats sold with a picture of the flag on them and people seem to think this is patriotic - wiping your feet on the flag. Underwear is sold with the flag on it. The image of the flag is plastered on all manner of items because people don't really know how to show respect for their nation and marketers know that they lap this stuff up. Patriotism has become just another marketing tool and if the masters of marketing psychology can manipulate people into turning something into a tradition, so much the better.

In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Private Pickle (08-03-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me, when the national anthem is played on TV, do you stand while it plays? Do you think that most people who stand for the anthem at ball games, stand for the anthem at home? If the national anthem is played for frivolous reasons, doesn't it start to lose the solemnity it is due?

Look at how the flag is abused. There are floor mats sold with a picture of the flag on them and people seem to think this is patriotic - wiping your feet on the flag. Underwear is sold with the flag on it. The image of the flag is pasted on all manner of items because people don't really know how to show respect for their nation and marketers know that they lap this stuff up. Patriotism has become just another marketing tool and if the masters of marketing psychology can manipulate people into turning something into a tradition, so much the better.

now give us the demographics of the type of people who buy that crap.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Perianne (07-31-2020)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    now give us the demographics of the type of people who buy that crap.
    Who do you think buys it? I see it everywhere.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,582x in 36,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have never in my life seen an American flag doormat. Israeli flag, yes.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-31-2020),Perianne (07-31-2020),stjames1_53 (07-31-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everywhere? I can post a picture of my welcome mat and that isn't what you're talking about'
    I don't see them in any store around here.....might want to check that selective vision ya got there
    They are not everywhere, but I suppose you check every stoop in your town just to make sure?
    - Thucydides

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I have never in my life seen an American flag doormat. Israeli flag, yes.
    Google American flag doormats. Apparently Lowes sells them - one vet took issue with this:

https://www.live5news.com/story/1862...flag-doormats/

Then there's the American flag underwear - the images go on for pages - this one is from Under Armour:

Then there's this:

And this:

Mahatma Gandhi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Bo-4 (08-02-2020)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    everywhere? I can post a picture of my welcome mat and that isn't what you're talking about'
    I don't see them in any store around here.....might want to check that selective vision ya got there
    They are not everywhere, but I suppose you check every stoop in your town just to make sure?
    By "it", I didn't mean the door mats, I meant American flag imagery plastered on all manner of things. I think it's disrespectful to use the flag that way.

Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,582x in 36,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Google American flag doormats. Apparently Lowes sells them - one vet took issue with this:

https://www.live5news.com/story/1862...flag-doormats/

Then there's the American flag underwear - the images go on for pages - this one is from Under Armour:

Then there's this:

And this:

I've seen shirts, stickers, hats and all sorts of things. Those are common enough but I have never seen a doormat.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread