User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Interview

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Trump Interview

This is worth watching, I think. The clips being shown on the news are not entirely fair (taken out of context) but it is interesting to actually watch him answer questions.
    FYIWDWYTM

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-04-2020),DGUtley (08-04-2020),Tahuyaman (08-04-2020),Trish (08-04-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,369x in 94,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that interview Trump was citing the case fatality rate while the "reporter" was citing the per capital fatality rate. The latter calculation does not compare nations fairly because most, unlike the US do not count a COVID death for people who never tested positive for COVID.

The case fatality rate basically says X percent who test positive died from it. The US fairs well on that measurement.

See the difference in the US position with the two measurements at the John Hopkin's website.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

zelmo1234 (08-05-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    In that interview Trump was citing the case fatality rate while the "reporter" was citing the per capital fatality rate. The latter calculation does not compare nations fairly because most, unlike the US do not count a COVID death for people who never tested positive for COVID.

The case fatality rate basically says X percent who test positive died from it. The US fairs well on that measurement.

See the difference in the US position with the two measurements at the John Hopkin's website.

That was just messy.

I think a major issue with Trump is how he speaks about certain things because he comes from a position of acting as an expert or authority on any given issue (and he'll be the first to claim to be one, so I am not making an unfair accusation). A lot of negative perceptions could be prevented if he would just sometimes defer to the cabinet member or department related to whatever issue and say something like, "Here's what I know based on briefings, but you would have to consult XYZ to get a more precise and accurate response because I am not expert." It takes the heat off of him, puts it on the people who should know more/the most, and it would probably be less messy. He is getting caught up in questions by journalists and others where the questions wouldn't even be relevant if he weren't purporting to somehow be an expert in everything that happens.

Don't answer a question you don't know the answer to.
    FYIWDWYTM

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

bdtex (08-04-2020),Captdon (08-04-2020),John Galt (08-04-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,369x in 94,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    That was just messy.

I think a major issue with Trump is how he speaks about certain things because he comes from a position of acting as an expert or authority on any given issue (and he'll be the first to claim to be one, so I am not making an unfair accusation). A lot of negative perceptions could be prevented if he would just sometimes defer to the cabinet member or department related to whatever issue and say something like, "Here's what I know based on briefings, but you would have to consult XYZ to get a more precise and accurate response because I am not expert." It takes the heat off of him, puts it on the people who should know more/the most, and it would probably be less messy. He is getting caught up in questions by journalists and others where the questions wouldn't even be relevant if he weren't purporting to somehow be an expert in everything that happens.

I agree he doesn't express himself well.

All he had to say was hey let's look at what my science guys showed me: the case fatality rate. That measures the number of people who test positive and die from COVID. When you look at that rate, the US is doing pretty good compared to other nations. I agree the US doesn't look good per capital, but you're the reporter- ask around and find out why the US numbers are so bad per capita but so good per COVID fatality.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-04-2020),MisterVeritis (08-04-2020)

Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That was just messy.

Raised in the beginning was Trump's belief in projecting a positive attitude, which he does, even in the face of adversity. I think it's a good approach to keeping the people more positive but ends up picked to pieces by a vulturous media.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-04-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Raised in the beginning was Trump's belief in projecting a positive attitude, which he does, even in the face of adversity. I think it's a good approach to keeping the people more positive but ends up picked to pieces by a vulturous media.
    Sometimes a positive attitude is not the most helpful approach.

With Covid, Trudeau took the opposite approach in many cases and it scared some people but it felt more genuine and honest, somehow? He admitted the government didn't know a lot of things, that they were unsure with a lot of decisions, that things would probably get worse, and then that Canadians should be cautious and hopeful because it's not going to last forever. I think this is a good example of doing almost the complete opposite and getting primarily positive reviews (up until recently, anyway).
    FYIWDWYTM

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-04-2020)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,536x in 55,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is worth watching, I think. The clips being shown on the news are not entirely fair (taken out of context) but it is interesting to actually watch him answer questions.
    Trump is not a polished public speaker. He has moments where he is magnanimous and substantive. He can be serious, snarky and also funny. However, he often repeats himself and swerves off into comments which are easily taken out of context. He's his own worst enemy in that sense.

Watching an unedited or unfiltered interview of Trump, one comes away with a far different view of that interview than they do from the clips shown on the nightly news.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (08-04-2020),DGUtley (08-04-2020),Peter1469 (08-04-2020),zelmo1234 (08-05-2020)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's funny. He keeps his promises as best he can having to fight back democrat road blocks on a daily basis. He connects to people and he is likeable. I know some cannot fathom that. The Hate Trumpers can post this stuff day in and day out but it will not stop his supporters, old and new and future, from going through hell and high water to get to the polls in November. In the words of Nanthy Pelothi,. 'You can take that to the bank'.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (08-04-2020),Perianne (08-04-2020)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take away:

He is incapable of viewing any issue without inserting himself. He is like a child constantly citing one excuse after another to avoid taking any responsibility. When asked to explain or provide a list of the resources he broadly mentions he invokes the Palen method and is unable to cite "books or manuals", which is weird in itself since the subject had nothing to do with books or manuals. It's clear he doesn't know the history of this country so we shouldn't be surprised that he doesn't care whether the country succeeds or fails. He shows no loyalty or concern for our men and women in uniform and is clearly not a patriot. He's ill informed about global matters and is incapable of understanding factual data.

He thinks the civil rights law isn't working out well and he couldn't get beyond John Lewis not attending his inauguration and state of the union speeches to say anything positive about the man. Once again, he turned the subject inward to himself. I wonder how many people will show up for him when he's lying in State.........
    Last edited by Trish; 08-04-2020 at 01:37 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Safety (08-04-2020),TheLiquidGuy (08-04-2020)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    John Galt's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,137x in 1,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was just messy.

That is what a POTUS ought to act like. Not trump. "I know more than the generals" was more idiotic than "Only I can fix it".

He's simply not capable of telling the truth about anything. Especially when it comes to issues that he believes will make him 'look' presidential.

I remember that was important to him during the campaign. (The '16 campaign...he's never stopped campaigning) He liked to claim that others don't look/sound presidential.

Ironic

20. The Following User Says Thank You to John Galt For This Useful Post:

TheLiquidGuy (08-04-2020)

+ Reply to Thread