Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when America was...

...racist and free.

The America I grew up in was racist, both personal and institutional. I grew up in the 1940s and 1950s. I saw a police officer beating a young black man because the back of the bus was full and the young man sat one seat in front of the line. The bus driver stopped, the cop got on, and with no words exchanged the young black man was hauled off and beat.

I remember the first, and only time, I used the word "$#@!". My grandfather grabbed me, spun me around, and said, "Pat, that's trash talk and our family doesn't talk trash." He spun me back around. "Look at that man."
    "I see him, Granddaddy."
    "Don't see him, look at him." I did and he said, "And always remember, that man has enough trouble in the world without you adding to it."

I remember Elmo well. He was a family friend. Is passion was fishing and he bought a little 2hp outboard to put on boats he rented to fish lakes. My father had to write a letter for Elmo saying it was my father's outboard but he loaned it to Elmo. The cops didn't have an outboard and refused to believe Elmo had saved up and bought one.

My father bought a little ten room motel on Highway 17 in north Florida. One night a Cadillac pulled in with a chauffeur. A man got out and rented a room. He was a U.N. representative heading to Miami. His chauffeur was black. My dad told me to take him and find him a place to stay. I argued and said, "It's the U.N., Dad. We should teach them what America is like."

"Pat, if I give that man a room the Klan will burn our motel."
    "We have insurance." My dad was a good man and just shook his head. I got a bed for the chauffeur at the home of a black friend.

I remember the Democrats in Little Rock, Orville Faubus, and in Georgia, George Wallace. I remember Eisenhower sending troops to integrate the schools. I also remember the black kids walking to school wearing their best clothes. Their parents, and they all had two parents, took school seriously. I used to smile cause I knew the little kids heard what I heard when I was little and got home from school. "Pat, get out of those school clothes and put on your play clothes."

The world was what it was. When I went into the military, the Air Force, I got a lot of crap from Yankees about being racist. One night an $#@! was really leaning and I said, "So, where are you from?"

"Darian, Connecticut." I roared. All I knew about Darian was the song from the stage play of "Auntie Mame". "My god, an Aryan from Darian. You don't let blacks, Jews, Catholics, Italians, or anyone else except card-carrying WASPs to live in Darian. Everyone laughed as he explained those people didn't want to live in Darian.

I also had a good friend, Jimmy. He was black and was from, I think, Baltimore. We were talking one day and he said, "All my white friends are from the South. Yankees got no problem with me but they'll cross the street to keep from having to talk to me."

When we were sent to San Angelo, Texas, 1962, we were all getting ready to go out drinking the first night. When I called to Jimmy he said, "I can't go, Pat. We're back down south." How quickly we forget. We dragged Jimmy along and convinced the 300-pound bouncer at the door to the bar that Jimmy wasn't black. He was Hawaiian. Not just Hawaiian but royalty. They actually bought it. A waitress asked me, "Is he really a king?"
    "No, hon, he's just a prince."

When I got out of the Air Force I because a police officer. Every police office was white and male. There was no law about it, it just was.

Over the next 43 years things changed a lot and most for the better. Racism was reduced, the department had a false start thanks to liberals but then we hired good, qualified Hispanic officers as police officers. We hired women, too, and while necessary that was less successful.

Then, it all went to hell thanks to our Community Organizer who hates America and Americans and we have a fundamentally changed country.

And part of that change was losing our freedoms. I went to an organizing meeting for the ACLU back before it was simply a shill for leftists. Two lawyers made the argument. One was to get rid of capital punishment with the Racial Equity in Death Penalty federal bill. The percentage of black convicted of murder and executed could be no larger than their percentage of the population. I was in my police uniform and stood and said, "I totally agree."

One of the lawyers sneered and said, "I'm shocked. Most of you don't."
    "That's because you don't explain it well. All you're saying is we aren't executing enough white people. I totally agree. We should be executing a lot more white people and then we can justify, by your logic, executing more blacks." The lawyers got really red in the face but even the liberals in the audience laughed.

Then they got onto free speech. I asked, "Why is it, if I screamed, "$#@!ing $#@!," in 1951 I'd have been arrested for the $#@!ing part but you got that approved but now I'd get arrested for the "$#@!" part. Both are just words." The lawyers got laughed as they explained that, too.

Now, no one laughs. Free speech? Gone. Hate speech is illegal. Lying to the FBI is illegal. Utter a threat is illegal. All speech. And, if a conservative is going to speak, leftists are free to riot, burn, assault, and whatever with impunity. Using thugs to suppress political speech is wrong and for the government to aid and abet that is unconstitutional.

Freedoms of religion? We recently learned that you couldn't go to church but you could go to riots. Mayor DiBlasio threatened to seize synagogues if they held services or funerals. Governor Newsom shut down Christian churches but nothing was ever said about mosques.

No double jeopardy? For 200 years you could not be tried for the same criminal act more than once. That ended at least with the Rodney King case. The officers were convicted but the sentence didn't satisfy Washington so they tried them again under a federal law. Same criminal act but two laws. By that logic, you could be tried for bank robbery in federal court and if acquitted, tried again in state court, and if acquitted tried again for simple robbery and if acquitted tried again for stealing the getaway car and if acquitted tried for possession of stolen property.

And when I was young the police could not stop you on the highway, seize your money or your car as a "civil seizure" and friggin' keep it. They could take property used to commit a crime or the fruits of a crime but with "civil seizure" they don't even have to accuse you of having committed a crime.

In the recent trial run for tyranny we saw the government ordering people not to visit family, not to go to work, and to be under house arrest with no crime and no illness. We also saw politicians who made those rules disobey them with total impunity.

No, I'm afraid it's gone and we don't have much time to get it back.

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Matt Dillon's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 167x in 118 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP is lying.
    For one thing, there are no hatespeech laws in America.
    As far as I can make out he's some kind of reverse-rightist leftist troll.
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 08-08-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,089x in 12,284 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    OP is lying.
    For one thing, there are no hatespeech laws in America.
    As far as I can make out he's some kind of reverse-rightist leftist troll.
    You've been here all of a few days and you believe you're qualified to classify members who've been posting here for eight years as "trolls"?

I don't agree with everything 'patrick' has written here, and even though he's a decade or so older than I am I know that some of what he says is not entirely accurate; nevertheless, I believe he honestly believes what he's posted here and that he's no troll. You I haven't decided about yet.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    You've been here all of a few days and you believe you're qualified to classify members who've been posting here for eight years as "trolls"?
    I don't agree with everything 'patrick' has written here, and even though he's a decade or so older than I am I know that some of what he says is not entirely accurate; nevertheless, I believe he honestly believes what he's posted here and that he's no troll. You I haven't decided about yet.
    Here and the rest of the internet are 2 different places.
    Doesn't patrickT live in Mexico?

Are you claiming there are hatespeech laws in America? If so, I am begging to differ.
    PS: I do not care what your opinion of me is. I do what I want.

Tbh, I love patrickT's anti HOA, neighborhood gestapo post, but I could swear he expatriated to Mexico.
    I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 08-08-2020 at 07:33 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Useful Post:

Calypso Jones (08-08-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen you before on the internet.
    I've been on it since AOL days, too.
    I'm sure you know nothing about that.
    PatrickT? Yeah, I've seen that before..

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,089x in 12,284 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    I've never seen you before on the internet.
    I've been on it since AOL days, too.
    I'm sure you know nothing about that.
    PatrickT? Yeah, I've seen that before..
    I make no secret of my prior user names. I was DougRich on the last one I frequented, and I have also been known as godwulf or godwulfAZ. Full disclosure: a long time ago, before I knew what a "sock" was or that it was frowned upon, I was actually posting on one board using both godwulf and DougRich - the first when I was in a bad mood and didn't feel like being diplomatic, and the latter when I was feeling more like being civil. When I discovered that it was bad form and possibly even a rules violation I stopped using godwulf and have only used it since on military or entertainment-related forums.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make no secret of my prior user names. I was DougRich on the last one I frequented, and I have also been known as godwulf or godwulfAZ. Full disclosure: a long time ago, before I knew what a "sock" was or that it was frowned upon, I was actually posting on one board using both godwulf and DougRich - the first when I was in a bad mood and didn't feel like being diplomatic, and the latter when I was feeling more like being civil. When I discovered that it was bad form and possibly even a rules violation I stopped using godwulf and have only used it since on military or entertainment-related forums.
    Yeah, no shockwaves in ary a lick of my internet experiences, sorry.
    Unless you knew granniepannies. Or bigtits, wtf ever her name was.
    They go back to yahoo days.
    Bah! We had fun.
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 08-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread