User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647

Thread: Look out Homophobes; A Come-Out Party has been announced

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Even absolute zero is not absolute:

Absolute zero is the point where no more heat can be removed from a system, according to the absolute or thermodynamic temperature scale. This corresponds to 0 K or -273.15°C. In classical kinetic theory, there should be no movement of individual molecules at absolute zero, but experimental evidences shows this isn't the case.
    Temperature is used to describe how hot or cold an object it. The temperature of an object depends on how fast its atoms and molecules oscillate. At absolute zero, these oscillations are the slowest they can possibly be. Even at absolute zero, the motion doesn't completely stop.

It's not possible to reach absolute zero, though scientists have approached it. The NIST achieved a record cold temperature of 700 nK (billionths of a Kelvin) in 1994. MIT researchers set a new record of 0.45 nK in 2003. http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...solutezero.htm
    Absolutely!

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    BillyBob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 96x in 89 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Chemistry is the purest, most understood and most predictable science.
    Anybody who watches 'Breaking Bad' already knows that.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mr Happy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 449x in 372 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You demonstrate you have no idea what ad hom is. Ad hom is like raising a forfeiture flag. My pointing out your logical fallacy is pointing out a weakness in your argument.

Gravity is not an absolute. Study Einstein's Theory of Relativity. None of what you name are absolutes. In Science.

Third time you've claimed there are absolutes in science, third time you've failed to name one.

And once again, like inductive, you have used an alternative meaning as opposed to the common meaning. An Ad Hom attack - in general terms of netiquitte - means attacking the man, not the argument. Once again, you have to be more forthright and transparent. I'm not a mindreader.

Of course gravity is an absolute. When it stops being gravity, it no longer meets the definition. And Archimedes? Are you saying there have been instances in science where objects have been put in water and the amount of displaced water DOESN'T match that of the object? Links please. This ought to be good.

What you have done, which is almost laughable, is take what the common norm is (ie, scientists too scared to draw a line in the sand so they always give themselves an out but saying 'no science is aboslute), and run with it, when there is example after example of scientific experiments that are absolute. I think this parlays with your desire to fit in with religion. "Oh look, they are criticising religion for only being faith based, when even their precious science is too because, as everybody knows, there are no absolutes in science!!". To which I say - in case you haven't noticed - Hogwash!....

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    An Ad Hom attack - in general terms of netiquitte - means attacking the man, not the argument.
    I know, that's what i said.

Tell us all something we don't know, happy.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I know, that's what i said.
    In a roundabout way...

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
    And once again, like inductive, you have used an alternative meaning as opposed to the common meaning. An Ad Hom attack - in general terms of netiquitte - means attacking the man, not the argument. Once again, you have to be more forthright and transparent. I'm not a mindreader.

Of course gravity is an absolute. When it stops being gravity, it no longer meets the definition. And Archimedes? Are you saying there have been instances in science where objects have been put in water and the amount of displaced water DOESN'T match that of the object? Links please. This ought to be good.

What you have done, which is almost laughable, is take what the common norm is (ie, scientists too scared to draw a line in the sand so they always give themselves an out but saying 'no science is aboslute), and run with it, when there is example after example of scientific experiments that are absolute. I think this parlays with your desire to fit in with religion. "Oh look, they are criticising religion for only being faith based, when even their precious science is too because, as everybody knows, there are no absolutes in science!!". To which I say - in case you haven't noticed - Hogwash!....
    Archimedes' principle does not consider the surface tension acting on the body or mass. This additional force modifies the amount of fluid displaced.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Archimedes' principle does not consider the surface tension acting on the body or mass. This additional force modifies the amount of fluid displaced.
    Is that a hypotheses on your part, or a fact. And if it is a fact, and you take your calculations into consideration, then it becomes an absolute....

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
    Is that a hypotheses on your part, or a fact. And if it is a fact, and you take your calculations into consideration, then it becomes an absolute....
    http://www.colorado.edu/MCEN/flowvis...ock_Andrew.pdf
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread