Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My smallest pet is now gone, her name was BirdyBird brrbrr for short she was a $#@!atiel and we were close buddies.
    Ive had many many pets over the years and I loved them all. Pets just dont live long enough At the moment my wife and I have a 8yr old Cairn terrier, Toto Dog. I will post a pic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

oceanloverOH (07-05-2013)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,879
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    My smallest pet is now gone, her name was BirdyBird brrbrr for short she was a $#@!atiel and we were close buddies.
    Ive had many many pets over the years and I loved them all. Pets just dont live long enough At the moment my wife and I have a 8yr old Cairn terrier, Toto Dog. I will post a pic
    $#@!atiels live for a long time. How long did you have her?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    oceanloverOH's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,745x in 1,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    He's precious until he tries to get his 'minions' in line (my large dog and older female cat). Then he becomes "Demon Child", as I call him.

Whenever I take him to the vet, all the employees and other owners swoon over him. Although, I did have a lady make a rude comment basically saying I was selfish or whatever to get a show quality cat instead of rescuing a cat. But I did go to the humane society and other places first but kittens go so fast and I couldn't bring an adult into the house with the older female cat, (I've had various animals around her over the years when petsitting and she hates older animals). She was only going to take to a kitten. So, once I knew I had to buy from a breeder, I decided to pick exactly what I wanted - gigantic, cuddly and sweet was what I wanted. He was the last in his litter and happened to be show quality (his parents are both international champions for their breed or something), so I paid the extra. Yeah, I could have saved probably a dozen or more shelter cats but where would they end up when my "$#@!y" adult cat went ape$#@!? Argh.
    Maybe this just sounds wrong, @Adelaide, and if so, well, there it is, because this is how I feel. When I first decided to adopt a kitty in 1989, I didn't WANT a rescue. You don't know their medical history, you don't know their bloodlines, you don't know their temperament. I had never been responsible for an animal all on my own, and wanted a furbaby that I could spend a good chunk of my life being happy with, not trying to train out bad habits. I went to a cat show, and fell in love with the Birman kittens. I knew that's what I wanted for my companion. I got my Livvie....she just missed being show quality because one of her white mittens was only a partial and didn't fully cover her toes. I had never met a sweeter, more loving little cat than my Livvie....I NEVER regretted my decision, not for the 18 years that she was with me. When I adopted Jake almost 5 years ago, I knew I wanted a Shih Tzu.....so I interviewed several families that had puppies, saw how the puppies were raised, got to meet the puppies' parents, etc. Again, I couldn't love Jake any more if he was a human, he's so wonderful. Maybe, now that I'm a "seasoned" furbaby Mom, my next adopted companion will be a rescue....maybe not. But it's MY decision. Don't let anyone EVER give you any crap over how and what YOU choose as a companion in your life. That woman (she was certainly no lady!) was rude, every bit as rude as if she had denigrated you for having a human baby naturally instead of adopting, since so many children need parents.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    oceanloverOH's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,745x in 1,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    And that's the truth. I would love to see a pic of Toto!

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    TheInternet's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 323x in 224 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Why are the dogs in jail?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassrootsConservative View Post
    Judging by the fact that one kennel is closed and the other is open (combined with the fact that both dogs are eating from bowls in the kennels) I would guess the one with the closed kennel has a problem trying to get to the other dog's food.

They are probably trying to keep the dogs from fighting during dinner time. I've had dogs with that problem but we always just fed them in different rooms.

Just my best guess.
    Pretty close. The one in the cage with the door closed is young. I don't remember when that pic was taken, but she's probably around 6-8 months there. We feed all three dogs in their crates, and the two huskies are crated when we aren't home. Feeding them in their crates helps them see the crate as a good place.

I don't remember why the pup was locked in. I might have been outside, and just walked back in. That's the most likely scenario. If I'm home and outside, I won't leave the pup unattended in the house. The old sibe will lay in his crate bc he likes it in there.
    Trolling you from deep cyberspace.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInternet For This Useful Post:

GrassrootsConservative (07-06-2013)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,879
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInternet View Post
    Pretty close. The one in the cage with the door closed is young. I don't remember when that pic was taken, but she's probably around 6-8 months there. We feed all three dogs in their crates, and the two huskies are crated when we aren't home. Feeding them in their crates helps them see the crate as a good place.

I don't remember why the pup was locked in. I might have been outside, and just walked back in. That's the most likely scenario. If I'm home and outside, I won't leave the pup unattended in the house. The old sibe will lay in his crate bc he likes it in there.
    I have kept Shiba Inus for a good 20 years or more now. They are related to huskies, both being spitz breeds. I crated mine until they were about one year old, but after that had no need to do so. I have heard that Huskies have a low threshold of boredom and can be destructive when they have nothing to do. Is that why you crate them, when not at home?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

TheInternet (07-05-2013)

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    TheInternet's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 323x in 224 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I have kept Shiba Inus for a good 20 years or more now. They are related to huskies, both being spitz breeds. I crated mine until they were about one year old, but after that had no need to do so. I have heard that Huskies have a low threshold of boredom and can be destructive when they have nothing to do. Is that why you crate them, when not at home?
    That is precisely why we crate them when we are not at home. They are a high energy dog that likes to be on the go.

The older sibe is pretty good at not digging in the yard (it's a "hobby" for many huskies). The younger one I'm starting to break from doing it. But, now she has a new hobby: "digging" through my friggen deck! She is literally managing to tear through the boards, lol.
    Trolling you from deep cyberspace.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInternet For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanloverOH View Post
    Maybe this just sounds wrong, @Adelaide, and if so, well, there it is, because this is how I feel. When I first decided to adopt a kitty in 1989, I didn't WANT a rescue. You don't know their medical history, you don't know their bloodlines, you don't know their temperament. I had never been responsible for an animal all on my own, and wanted a furbaby that I could spend a good chunk of my life being happy with, not trying to train out bad habits. I went to a cat show, and fell in love with the Birman kittens. I knew that's what I wanted for my companion. I got my Livvie....she just missed being show quality because one of her white mittens was only a partial and didn't fully cover her toes. I had never met a sweeter, more loving little cat than my Livvie....I NEVER regretted my decision, not for the 18 years that she was with me. When I adopted Jake almost 5 years ago, I knew I wanted a Shih Tzu.....so I interviewed several families that had puppies, saw how the puppies were raised, got to meet the puppies' parents, etc. Again, I couldn't love Jake any more if he was a human, he's so wonderful. Maybe, now that I'm a "seasoned" furbaby Mom, my next adopted companion will be a rescue....maybe not. But it's MY decision. Don't let anyone EVER give you any crap over how and what YOU choose as a companion in your life. That woman (she was certainly no lady!) was rude, every bit as rude as if she had denigrated you for having a human baby naturally instead of adopting, since so many children need parents.
    Those are good points, too. With Theo, I have the genetic tests done on his parents to check for the HCM gene, among others, (basically things that will definitely kill your cat/kitten, and young). It means I can get him properly insured so I can provide the best medical care down the line, and it means I'll probably not have to use it for something fatal until he's old. That's something I wouldn't get with a shelter cat, basically peace of mind. I also don't know how easily you'd be able to get medical insurance for a rescue since you often don't know their age or medical history.

I feel a little guilty for going with a breeder, so I'll probably try to make donations to the humane society down the line. It just wasn't going to work out to bring home an adult cat - my other cat came first. I'd rather know I have two cats that will get along then risk having to try and giveaway or send to the humane society a cat I took in because I thought I could make it work. That just seems negligent since I know my female cat well enough to know it would not work.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

oceanloverOH (07-05-2013)

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Trinnity's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,832x in 1,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have a female lutino lovebird

and a pair of Indian Ringneck Parrots

Oh, and a Parson Russell

Attachment 3148

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (07-06-2013),Agravan (07-06-2013),jillian (07-07-2013)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    strollingbonez's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 257x in 183 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agravan View Post
    You always hear from "experts" that claim that animals don't have feelings like love. They only seem like it because they see us as a source of food and shelter.
    these, so-called, experts have obviously never felt the love of a pet or they would change their tune. I have an automatic feeder so my cat does not have to let me know whens she's hungry, yet she follows me everywhere, sits and lays with me and is on my desk next to me as I type this. I know my little baby loves me. She shows me that every day.

i try to listen to idiots....

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/str...02-30.mp4.html not a pet but for some reason when hummingbirds are involved my friends call me
    A lie ain’t a side of the story. It’s just a lie.

the wire

+ Reply to Thread