User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awful story - leaving a child in a car

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Awful story - leaving a child in a car

This news story isn't really political and I couldn't think of an appropriate forum for it - it's just a terrible story. It seems to happen a lot more that people leave kids or animals in a car on a hot summer day and they end up dying. In this case, I have to wonder if the grandmother doesn't have some kind of early dementia. I can't see any other way to leave a child in a car and forget.

Grandmother charged in death of Milton boy inside hot car - CBC News

Leslie McDonald, 51, was arrested by Halton homicide detectives. She has been charged with criminal negligence causing death and failing to provide the necessities of life after an autopsy was performed on Maximus Huyskens, 2, who died on a sweltering afternoon late last month.

Police had said the boy was left "for an extended period of time" inside a sedan parked outside his parents' Milton townhouse. He had earlier been left in the care of his grandmother while his father was at work and his mother was at an appointment.

The Canada Safety Council estimates that between four and six children die from being left unattended in vehicles every year. During a summer day, internal temperatures can rise to 50 C in as little as 10 minutes.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately that happens from time to time all over. Had a couple of like cases in fla recently

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    strollingbonez's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 257x in 183 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the reason it happens....they dont charge the parents with murder...simple as that...you get in more trouble for leaving a dog in a hot car than you do your child..i know this sounds harsh to charge a person who has just lost their child but they lost their child due to neglect...are there now degrees of neglect?

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    junie's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 828x in 666 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jeebus, how freaking oblivious do you have to be...?

Two disabled adults hospitalized after being left in transport van on sweltering day

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...DXO/story.html

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the time I was working for a small city police department we had two babies killed by being left in a car. Neither case resulted in prosecution for anything. All the mother's got was a lot of attention and a lot of sympathy. One I recall was a nurse who drove to work, locked up her car, and worked her shift with her infant in the car. That's what, an oopsie? For those of you with kids, how often did you "forget" your kids when you were sober?

I haven't heard of a father leaving a kid in the car to die but if it has happened, I'll bet he was prosecuted and convicted.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    During the time I was working for a small city police department we had two babies killed by being left in a car. Neither case resulted in prosecution for anything. All the mother's got was a lot of attention and a lot of sympathy. One I recall was a nurse who drove to work, locked up her car, and worked her shift with her infant in the car. That's what, an oopsie? For those of you with kids, how often did you "forget" your kids when you were sober?

I haven't heard of a father leaving a kid in the car to die but if it has happened, I'll bet he was prosecuted and convicted.
    I don't think I've heard many, if any, stories where someone wasn't charged for the death of a child.

Accidents do happen, too, to be fair. My father once locked himself out of his car with my brother as an infant in the back seat. This was late at night in autumn so there was no risk of harm from heat or cold but this was before cell phones - probably took him an hour to get my mom there with an extra set of keys. Apparently my brother slept through it all, including my mother going bat$#@! crazy on my father for locking his damn keys in the car with him in the back seat. But, I guess car rides were something that put my brother, a fussy baby, to sleep and my mom had really bad post-partum depression so it fell on my dad to do the late night car rides (and most of the parenting for the first year) and he had stopped for gas.

But I think that type of situation is pretty far from leaving your child in a car knowing it's hot. But, I'm sure there are situations where circumstances explain why it might have happened as a genuine accident versus pure negligence.

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    TheInternet's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 323x in 224 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm usually one for pretty stiff penalties, but these are cases where prosecution wouldn't change anything.

The worst thing that can happen to a person is to lose their child. Killing the kid yourself is something these parents have to live with the rest of their lives. What does prosecution or threat of prosecution change?
    Trolling you from deep cyberspace.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInternet View Post
    I'm usually one for pretty stiff penalties, but these are cases where prosecution wouldn't change anything.

The worst thing that can happen to a person is to lose their child. Killing the kid yourself is something these parents have to live with the rest of their lives. What does prosecution or threat of prosecution change?
    I tend to agree. The law can't do worse than the punishment that you would heap upon yourself. You also can't pass laws against stupidity.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    strollingbonez's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 257x in 183 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...214472861.html

about 38 kids die a year from this...

i think most parents have an event in mind where they nearly killed their child with stupidity....i do....and i remember the absolute terror when i realized what i had done and realized that my quick thinking hubby had just saved my childs life...and mine..cause had my child died by my stupidity...i would have died...not body wise but mind and heart wise...
    A lie ain’t a side of the story. It’s just a lie.

the wire

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This is interesting... keep in mind we had a massive heatwave today:

A father who allegedly left a nine-month-old girl alone and wailing inside a parked car this morning in Oakville, Ont., returned from his shopping to be confronted by an angry crowd, Halton Regional Police say.

Concerned citizens who found the girl sweating profusely and crying at a Home Depot parking lot called police. Officers arrived at the scene around 10 a.m. ET and witnesses said the child had been left in the vehicle for 10 to 15 minutes while her father was purchasing food.

The father rushed back to his vehicle when the store he was shopping in made an emergency announcement about a child inside a hot car. Upon getting back to the parking lot, "he was berated by a group of angry individuals," Halton police said in a release.

Emergency services checked the child's health and her mother took custody of her.

The Children's Aid Society is investigating the incident along with police. Police say charges have not yet been laid.
    Dad of baby left in hot car 'berated' by crowd - CBC News

+ Reply to Thread