User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American sport to blame for soft culture?

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    fyrenza's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 510x in 392 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really "got" how folks could watch wrasslin' like it was REAL ...

Then, again, I believe in conspiracy theories, so ...
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Government does not "give" us rights. Its purpose is to protect the God Given rights we already have by reason of being human.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,309
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    I think football is the last fragment of the tactics and strategies used on the battlefield before cowards made gun powder. Archers and crossbowmen were cowardly enough but gun powder really ended the way battles could be fought in a good honest whites of the eyes blood battle.

I think the fact that Americans wear a helmet just to play football is telling.

I think it is soft that Americans wear a helmet to play football. The amount of padding that gridiron players wear is ridiculous. I dont know how they can run. I wonder what the difference is on a sprint done with helmet and armour/padding and then without. All the armour must slow them down.

Americans are the softest. The Europeans are the next softest because the prefer no contact soccer. They do play Rugby Union though. Rugby Union is just as dangerous as gridiron but union players do not wear a helmet. Many of them do wear a light headgear but it isnt a helmet.
    Attachment 3344

The Brits are the next softest. They are pretty much the same as Europe and prefer no contact soccer. They are also big on Rugby Union and the hardest football Rugby League. They also play Gaelic Football in Ireland which they think is hard but it really isnt. Australias soft AFL players destoy them in International Rules Test Matches.

The hardest culture is in Australia and New Zealand.

Australia has three kinds of football. We have AFL which is soft Victorian football that is similar to Gaelic Football. A bunch of soft soccer players that decided to pick the ball up. AFL is big in the states of Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia and Northern Territory. Its a national sport but those states ( Vic/Melbourne) are the traditional homes of the sport. Victorians or maybe more Melburnians consider themselves sophisticated. It makes sense that their football is soft and soccer-like.

The other two footballs are Union and League. Australia is the home of Rugby League. Rugby League is like Pleb Football. Australians broke away from pommy Rugby Union and made our own game that was harder, faster and had less rules.

Rugby Union is like Patrician Football and Rugby League is like Plebeian Football.

So Rugby Union is much softer with way more rules. Rugby League is the closest you get to seeing a barbarian blood battle.

Rugby League is all about a perpetual charge at the line. The Rugby League player has the least interest in flanking tactics. The League player looks for contact and seeks to break through the line. It would be unthinkable for a Rugby League player to look for the safety of the sideline after making a gain like soft, self preserving NFL players do. Even if the rules allowed for such a cowardly tactic.

In defence there is just one line that must constantly move up and back as one. There is no offensive and defensive team like Americans have. Players must be able to both attack and defend. There are no time outs. There is not a stoppage at the end of every single play. In defence any missed tackle can allow the line to be broken. League has only 13 players to cover the field unlike soft Patrician Rugby Union. It is much harder to hide poor defenders on a Rugby League field. All Rugby League players must be safe in defence.

It is very rare for a Rugby League player to wear headgear. To wear headgear is a sign of fear and weakness. There are no archers on a football field.

American football is like a general that micromanages everything from up on a hill. The coaches are wannabe generals. Its all tactics. Gridiron players are the most pawn-like. They are like automatons. in many ways. Someone is forever telling them what to do. There is no freedom in American football. Americas football is not only soft but it is also the most void of freedom.

Patrician Rugby Union allows for less freedom. Way more rules and the coaches and their patricians rely on tactics much more than is the case with League. At least they dont call time outs though and there isnt a stoppage every 5 seconds.

Rugby League players are harder than NFL players and they play a harder game. I dont see why Americans need to wear helmets to play football. As superpower I blame soft American culture for seeping out into the greater west and softening up our own cultures. They stop a boxing match way too early these days. When I was a kid it was legal in a Rugby League game to spear tackle. You could pick a person up and drive then into the ground right on their heads. A head high tackle was a penalty but no big deal. Now you get suspended for a head high tackle. And this year League made the shoulder charge illegal. I mean you may as well watch a game of Union if there is no shoulder charge. League was also the place you could see a good fight. Now if a fight breaks out people in the media want to send the guys to jail. Australian culture is becoming soft and Americanized. Next they will be saying that League players must wear helmets and a ludicrous amount of padding.

American culture is too soft.

The wearing of helmets and other protective gear is to ensure that the league gets their money's worth out of their players. A player on the bench because of injuries still gets paid, but is not earning his keep. Too many on the bench and you have no game. Also from a humanitarian point of view, it is preferable that players go into retirement with minimal injuries that will plague them for the rest of their lives. Rugby is a brutal sport that some players don't live through. Broken backs and necks are common. I don't think it about being soft, it is about being civilized. We don't need gladiators in 2013.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

fyrenza (07-27-2013)

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,709
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,311x in 14,530 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Canadians are the hard North Americans.
    They wear the same pad in Canadian Football! Soccer in America is for those that can't make it in football! And Your Rugby players can't tackle an average NFL running back, much less a Petersen type runner!

Defensive ends and linebackers have been measured using electronic bags and in 5 steps hit with about the same energy as a VW bug traveling at 35 miles an hour! NO helmet would mean several deaths per year!

But then you have Soccer???? About as much fun as watching grass grow!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-27-2013)

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,709
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,311x in 14,530 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I would expect the rugby guy would be taken to the hospital.
    Did you see the bone structure on those Rugby players? More likely the Morg!

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo1234 View Post
    They wear the same pad in Canadian Football! Soccer in America is for those that can't make it in football! And Your Rugby players can't tackle an average NFL running back, much less a Petersen type runner!

Defensive ends and linebackers have been measured using electronic bags and in 5 steps hit with about the same energy as a VW bug traveling at 35 miles an hour! NO helmet would mean several deaths per year!

But then you have Soccer???? About as much fun as watching grass grow!
    That's a matter of opinion Zelmo. Soccer is a very fast game - in some ways like hockey, but without sticks. Now if you want a game that is as much fun as watching grass grow, try baseball. There's a painfully slow game.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Mainecoons (08-11-2013)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That's a matter of opinion Zelmo. Soccer is a very fast game - in some ways like hockey, but without sticks. Now if you want a game that is as much fun as watching grass grow, try baseball. There's a painfully slow game.
    Soccer is for homos.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Soccer is for homos.
    Well now you've alienated most of the western world.

Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,249x in 1,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrenza View Post
    errrmmm ... MMA ring any bells?
    It didn't ring George Zimmerman's bell. Lesson: Don't bring coolie sports to a gunfight.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,249x in 1,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rock Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrenza View Post
    I never really "got" how folks could watch wrasslin' like it was REAL ...

Then, again, I believe in conspiracy theories, so ...

Reverse racism in never snobbishly looking down on the Harlem Globetrotters, who also rehearse their games. Wrestling is just a presentation of all highlights all the time, skipping the boring parts of unrehearsed sports.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

+ Reply to Thread