User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iran Threatens US NAVY.....

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iran Threatens US NAVY.....

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran threatened Tuesday to take action if the U.S. Navy moves an aircraft carrier into the Gulf, Tehran's most aggressive statement yet after weeks of saber-rattling as new U.S. and EU financial sanctions take a toll on its economy.

Queues formed at banks and some currency exchange offices shut their doors as Iranians scrambled to buy dollars to protect their savings from the currency's fall.

"Iran will not repeat its warning ... the enemy's carrier has been moved to the Sea of Oman because of our drill. I recommend and emphasize to the American carrier not to return to the Persian Gulf," army chief Salehi said.

The EU is expected to impose new sanctions by the end of this month, possibly including a ban on oil imports.
    Even Iran's top trading partner China - which has refused to back new global sanctions against Iran - is demanding discounts to buy Iranian oil as Tehran's options narrow. Beijing has cut its imports of Iranian crude by more than half for January and, paying premiums for crude from Russia and Vietnam to replace it.

The European Union is expected to consider new measures by the end of this month, possibly including a blockade. EU members such as such as crisis-hit Greece are still buyers of Iranian oil, which trades at a discount.

Some exchange offices in Tehran, when contacted by Reuters, said there was no trading taking place until further notice.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-threatens...082124042.html
    Reuters – 59 mins ago.....More Here!

Things just got very real for us in the Persian Gulf. This threat came as Irans Market are being hit. I think China with having some of our debt is backing our play. Even tho they did not ride with us on these New Rounds of Sanctions.

Now the French have upped the ante. As Czarkosy has stated he is going for the oil Embargo. But to let the Iranians know they plan to request a blockade of Iran. Was a Pig-headed move by the French. Should have kept their mouths shut. Don't tell them anything until it is in progress. Now all the French have done is tipped everyone's hands. So now the Iranians will start mobilizing for war. IMO right now they are moving round some Sams.

Does any believe now that the Iranian threats are hollow? Their currency exchanges have been closed. Their markets are now Closed. Which means any they trade with has been put on hold, for the moment. Wonder what Putin will say about this?

Also there have been several Analysts that state to offset the Oil the Saudis were going to compensate for such. But all say Saudia Arabia is unable to do so. Now with Iran threatening our Navy, Oil Markets have begun to rise again.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe their threats are hollow for now. They cannot dictate where our carriers go. We will return our carrier to the Gulf and if they are foolish enough to attack I'm not convinced that would be a bad thing at all. It would likely mean the end of Ahmadinejad and their entire nuclear program.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Conley For This Useful Post:

MMC (01-03-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not so worried about Ahmed. Its the Clerics! As I do not think their population will rise up against them. Now Ahmed I could see the Clerics bailing on him. Which then he is a mute point. As I doubt he has the Army and their Guard backing him over those Clerics.

Oh already we have that carrier headed back there.....so it looks like we are going to give them their choice!
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just don't see them attacking our carrier. I don't know about the clerics staying in power, it is hard to tell what the attitude of the people is in Iran. There have been protests as you know...when is the carrier scheduled to arrive?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    I just don't see them attacking our carrier. I don't know about the clerics staying in power, it is hard to tell what the attitude of the people is in Iran. There have been protests as you know...when is the carrier scheduled to arrive?
    The aircraft carrier USS John C Stennis leads a U.S. Navy task force in the region. It is now in the Arabian Sea providing air support for the war in Afghanistan, said Lieutenant Rebecca Rebarich, spokeswoman for the U.S. 5th Fleet.

Nimitz Class.....

Brent crude futures were up more than $4 Tuesday afternoon in London, pushing above $111 a barrel on the news of potential threats to supply in the Gulf, as well as strong Chinese economic data.

"I think we should be very worried because the diplomacy that should accompany this rise in tension seems to be lacking on both sides," said Richard Dalton, former British ambassador to Iran and now an associate fellow at Chatham House think tank.
    "I don't believe either side wants a war to start. I think the Iranians will be aware that if they block the Strait or attack a U.S. ship, they will be the losers. Nor do I think that the U.S. wants to use its military might other than as a means of pressure. However, in a state of heightened emotion on both sides, we are in a dangerous situation."

Henry Wilkinson at Janusian Risk Advisory consultants said the threats might be a bid by Iran to remind countries contemplating sanctions of the cost of havoc on oil markets.
    "Such threats can cause market confidence in the global oil supply to wobble and can push up oil prices and shipping insurance prices. For the EU powers debating new sanctions, this could be quite a pinch in the current economic climate."

We wont give the time when it will arrive. Plus now since the threat. No one is allowed to comment on where the fleet is.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well it can't be hard to track a carrier fleet...this won't be the first time the Iranians have run their mouths and not followed up on it. Last week they said they would shut things down for their war games and it didn't happen.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So this is an opportunity to corner the Iranians into making a hostile move. Is BO ready to trot down this path?

I doubt it.
    my junk is ugly

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    So this is an opportunity to corner the Iranians into making a hostile move. Is BO ready to trot down this path?

I doubt it.
    I don't think he wants war with Iran but there's no way that the carrier group won't return to the Gulf. Can you imagine the fallout? The ball is really in Iran's court.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,525x in 94,386 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

I doubt it.
    I imagine that the commander of the 5th Fleet will leave Obama little options. If needed he will commit his entire force and Obama would not dare abandon it. Should he do that, impeachment would be the best thing that would happen to him.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (01-03-2012),Conley (01-03-2012),MMC (01-03-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I imagine that the commander of the 5th Fleet will leave Obama little options. If needed he will commit his entire force and Obama would not dare abandon it. Should he do that, impeachment would be the best thing that would happen to him.
    Interesting. What premise would the commander be acting on, I'm curious?
    my junk is ugly

+ Reply to Thread