Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 787x in 623 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bladimz View Post
    I will say this: Of the people traveling to various locations other than the US, which ones are going to one that has experienced any number of terrorist attacks and are sure to suffer many more, as America has. Which ones have necessitated the added security that such attacks tend to demand.

But beyond that, i agree with both of you whole-heartedly. US citizens (not ex-pats) live in an environment of fear of potential attack, whether they realize it or not. There's lots of ways to view this: exactly what is actually going on here; and why; and who is controlling it all.

I've never lived outside of the US, but i can just imagine the feeling described in the posted article. I'm not a flag-waver. I don't hate my country, but i certainly don't accept that everything it does is in the best interests of it's people. I don't want to list them all. It would take up too much space.

I'm sure, and i've heard it from too many people, that the US has become a joke to the rest of the world. One of the things that people going abroad are told is to try to keep a low profile. Show some humility, and don't buck local laws and traditions. Don't mock their customs. Do your best to avoid drawing attention.

Like i said, i don't hate America, but i don't think it's the "best country in the world". Not by a long shot.
    You,fortunately are in the minority..I may not like how the government is being run,but it's people make it the best country in the world

Not many others have people making rafts out of old Buicks just to get into this country

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BB-35, it was your father and grandfather who made America the best in the world. Then came the baby boomers, and the self-absorbed twits, and the parasites and deadbeats and two generations of people voting only their own self-interest. The people now are making Detroit the model for the U.S.
    Last edited by patrickt; 08-17-2013 at 08:30 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-17-2013),Peter1469 (08-17-2013)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,527x in 55,045 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie_Archer View Post
    Right, a blowhard on the internet in credible.
    If you're asking, you're not.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    BB-35, it was your father and grandfather who made America the best in the world. Then came the baby boomers, and the self-absorbed twits, and the parasites and deadbeats and two generations of people voting only their own self-interest. The people now are making Detroit the model for the U.S.
    Hey, I'm a boomer. An early one. I'm libertarian, middle brother ultra-conservative, younger ultra-liberal. So it started around that time.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Hey, I'm a boomer. An early one. I'm libertarian, middle brother ultra-conservative, younger ultra-liberal. So it started around that time.
    That means you are just a bit older than me. I squeaked in under the wire. But, boomers as a group are responsible for a lot of the problems but that doesn't mean all boomers are. My children, for example, came after the boomers but they were raised to be responsible adults and not liberals.

I would also guess you're about as popular with other boomers as Tuffy the Clown is with the NAACP.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    That means you are just a bit older than me. I squeaked in under the wire. But, boomers as a group are responsible for a lot of the problems but that doesn't mean all boomers are. My children, for example, came after the boomers but they were raised to be responsible adults and not liberals.

I would also guess you're about as popular with other boomers as Tuffy the Clown is with the NAACP.
    That is all true.

+ Reply to Thread