User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: A Look at Today's US Naval Ships and the Future of Naval Warfare.....

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,527x in 94,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    But they can't affect our economy. Nor the Brits or the French.....right? Like right now with all the sanctions against them, placing an Oil Embargo on the Brits and the French isn't going to affect their economies. Plus doing it the day before Nuke Proliferation talks only hurts their cause. What can their little Navy do to anybody in the the Straits of Hormuz with 3 or 4 carrier strike groups hanging out waiting for trouble? Plus moving a fleet into the Med. Their only setting themselves up to have all those ships sunk. Even if the US doesnt have anything in the Med that is around the Iranians can't take on the French or the Brits.....right? their technology can't even compare.....correct?

Cmon the Persians are nothing more than a hyped up 3rd World Country that is all bark and no bite.....right? These are a backwards people and not to educated about much. Not since Cyrus the Great were they in any type of Power or Control of the ME. plus with all the US technology that the Saudis and the Sunni Governments all around. This means that truly Iran is the weakest of them all in the ME. Other than Syria.....Right?
    http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

read this

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course these things would happen if an EMP was used in that fashion. But this is the Iranians we are talking about. They are weak and as the World has seen nothing more than incompetant boobs on when it comes to the big picture of things. They can never get anything right at all.

Plus like I said they havent even figured out to hit Europe or put biological weapons into their ballistic missiles.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    RollingWave's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 367x in 292 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RollingWave.....what is your assessment of Iran? Think these guys can affect anyone militarily or economically thats outside of the ME?
    I dunno to be honest, there's two competing problems we're seeing.

Let's point out that to different extends one could easily argue that Stalin / Mao / Kim etc were even more crazy then the Iranian Mullahs. Which in most comparison of the things they actually done (not things they said) the Mullahs look like real saints in comparison to those guys. There's significant check and balance within the Iranian's own circle (which is at least partially democratic) and shifts in their policy to believe that they're not really bent on nothing but the destruction of the west.

On the other hand, I think it's generally within the world's interest to try and enforce the NPT (non-proliferation treaty), which Iran is a signatory, of course, if such action was initiated by one of only 4 states in the world that DIDN'T sign / withdrew from the treaty (Israel ... other 3 being India / Pakistan / North Korea) I think we would have a serious case of hypocrosy.

Let's point out that countries like South Korea and Taiwan actually did try to develop nukes in the 60s-80s, but in both cases they were rather directly disposed of by the USA, though not through military means, but rather the CIA simply walked in and poured a gazillion ton of concrete on it while the local government can't risk openly being in conflict with the US.

Personally, I think the US woul be better served to more clearly pull the message back to the fundementals, that they're doing this to enforce the NPT and nothing else (it's quickly getting framed as a geopolitical or even religious struggle, the former is not really in the US's interest while the later is simply absurd), this is one key reason why they must keep Israel out of it. Though I' personally feel that the US should openly state that their policy should be to also force the remaining non-treaty states into the treaty. this would address several of the worlds' most dangerous hotspots all at once, but of course, this seems unlikely since it is in conflict with at least some shorter term strategic interest . (which I personally believe is pretty absurd, such as letting Israel getting away with the nukes when the US have about as much sway over them as they did over Taiwan and South Korea).

Though I'm not sure why a talk on the navy have been veered towards Iran
    Last edited by RollingWave; 02-20-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    I dunno to be honest, there's two competing problems we're seeing.

Let's point out that to different extends one could easily argue that Stalin / Mao / Kim etc were even more crazy then the Iranian Mullahs. Which in most comparison of the things they actually done (not things they said) the Mullahs look like real saints in comparison to those guys. There's significant check and balance within the Iranian's own circle (which is at least partially democratic) and shifts in their policy to believe that they're not really bent on nothing but the destruction of the west.

On the other hand, I think it's generally within the world's interest to try and enforce the NPT (non-proliferation treaty), which Iran is a signatory, of course, if such action was initiated by one of only 4 states in the world that DIDN'T sign / withdrew from the treaty (Israel ... other 3 being India / Pakistan / North Korea) I think we would have a serious case of hypocrosy.

Let's point out that countries like South Korea and Taiwan actually did try to develop nukes in the 60s-80s, but in both cases they were rather directly disposed of by the USA, though not through military means, but rather the CIA simply walked in and poured a gazillion ton of concrete on it while the local government can't risk openly being in conflict with the US.

Personally, I think the US woul be better served to more clearly pull the message back to the fundementals, that they're doing this to enforce the NPT and nothing else (it's quickly getting framed as a geopolitical or even religious struggle, the former is not really in the US's interest while the later is simply absurd), this is one key reason why they must keep Israel out of it. Though I' personally feel that the US should openly state that their policy should be to also force the remaining non-treaty states into the treaty. this would address several of the worlds' most dangerous hotspots all at once, but of course, this seems unlikely since it is in conflict with at least some shorter term strategic interest . (which I personally believe is pretty absurd, such as letting Israel getting away with the nukes when the US have about as much sway over them as they did over Taiwan and South Korea).

Though I'm not sure why a talk on the navy have been veered towards Iran
    I believe the course of the discussion changed at Post #49 and then went from there. Which is why I began asking the questions to get some answers and some facts thrown out here concerning Iran.

Pete brought up the issue of capability. Which is always one of the keys in discussing Iran. Obviously Iran affects others over the Oil. Their Threats and their Military again obviously keeping others on their toes and affecting them with whatever those other countries actions are. Whether it be the US or some other country.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iran's navy can at least for a short time close the Straight of Hormuz.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I know Pete. So to all the rest of our Top people. There is no denying it!

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the real question is how fast the 5th Fleet can open it back up. And how hard the markets will take it.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course these things would happen if an EMP was used in that fashion. But this is the Iranians we are talking about. They are weak and as the World has seen nothing more than incompetant boobs on when it comes to the big picture of things. They can never get anything right at all.

Plus like I said they havent even figured out to hit Europe or put biological weapons into their ballistic missiles.
    Here comes Iran! Watch out!
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Here comes Iran! Watch out!
    Know of any other outstanding Naval Ships? U-know something a bit more up to date than what the Iranians could scrounge up. What about those Sunni now? They got to have more than tug-boats.....right?

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Know of any other outstanding Naval Ships? U-know something a bit more up to date than what the Iranians could scrounge up. What about those Sunni now? They got to have more than tug-boats.....right?
    What if it's a Shia and Sunni alliance!? And then the French intervene!
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread