User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 4 US Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan Sat. Jan 7th, 2012.....

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And knowing you are in the right does wonders for morale.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Conley For This Useful Post:

MMC (01-08-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    I will go with Walter Cronkite stated.....

"The point is that in any war situation, this is the most intimate commitment that the American government can make of its people. This is our war, our troops, our boys, our girls. We need to know every detail about how they are performing in our name, both when they perform well and when they perform badly. It's most important when they perform badly, as a matter of fact. So war should be covered intimately. Correspondents should be there reporting on it. Their dispatches should go through a censorship procedure so that no military secrets are given to the enemy. But there is the report; it is there for history. It may not be released by censorship immediately, maybe not the next day, maybe not the next month, but it'll be there next year. It'll be there ten years from now.
    Today we have no independent film of the [1991] Persian Gulf War — none — because our correspondents, our film crews, were not permitted to go out on the front with the troops. They should have been. The tape they shot should have been sent back to censorship. If it couldn't be released immediately, at least it would be held for eventual release and for history. We don't have that history now. That history is lost to us. It's a crime against the democracy".....snip~

http://www.pbs.org/weta/reportingame...ensorship.html

I don't mind certain censorship in war just like Cronkite. Things that don't really give the enemy an advantage over us. With these conflicts now. We have lost history! Although, I don't say democracy I say the The Republic!
    If you don't mind censorship we don't have much of a disagreement. I for one like all the footage that was taken of combat in WW2 (by all sides) but I can tell you with some confidence that pictures of dead and mutilated GIs were not gracing the pages of Time.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nor are they today. In that sense, 'censorship' is still alive and well today.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't picked up an issue of Time in ages but I've seen some horrific stuff since the wars started. Some of it no doubt on Fox since that was what I used to watch the most. Fox was also big on the death count crap as were all the networks. I don't recall ever seeing dead GIs but plenty of maimed GIs.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I haven't picked up an issue of Time in ages but I've seen some horrific stuff since the wars started. Some of it no doubt on Fox since that was what I used to watch the most. Fox was also big on the death count crap as were all the networks. I don't recall ever seeing dead GIs but plenty of maimed GIs.
    Really? Interesting. I haven't seen it, but I don't get much of my news from TV. I remember there was a blackout on photos of coffins coming back home, right?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Really? Interesting. I haven't seen it, but I don't get much of my news from TV. I remember there was a blackout on photos of coffins coming back home, right?
    Yeah, I remember that controversy. Now that I think of it the worst stuff by far was photos of kids and other non-combatants that had been injured.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do remember photos of Iraqi kids in hospitals. I remember seeing some wounded guys when Walter Reed was being exposed but generally speaking, not much.

Was the war in Iraq ever popular? I don't seem to recall it ever being so (even though Congress voted for it). If anything, the casualty numbers (of our troops) have been astoundingly low and I don't think those deaths have contributed much to the anti-war movement - not that there is one.

I think not finding WMDs and the eventual nation building were far more detrimental to general morale and the war itself. I don't feel that Americans have felt much for the loss of our soldiers. People slapped a yellow ribbon on their gas guzzling SUV, and the lefties used the body count to attack Bush, but there didn't seem to me at least much sincerity behind any of it. Maybe I'm just too cynical.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Yes, I do remember photos of Iraqi kids in hospitals. I remember seeing some wounded guys when Walter Reed was being exposed but generally speaking, not much.

Was the war in Iraq ever popular? I don't seem to recall it ever being so (even though Congress voted for it). If anything, the casualty numbers (of our troops) have been astoundingly low and I don't think those deaths have contributed much to the anti-war movement - not that there is one.

I think not finding WMDs and the eventual nation building were far more detrimental to general morale and the war itself. I don't feel that Americans have felt much for the loss of our soldiers. People slapped a yellow ribbon on their gas guzzling SUV, and the lefties used the body count to attack Bush, but there didn't seem to me at least much sincerity behind any of it. Maybe I'm just too cynical.
    I think it was somewhat popular when it first started although I don't recall any numbers. I might be wrong. The casualty figures are incredibly low. Far lower even than Vietnam which in turn was far lower than Korea and WW2. I do remember the anti-war movement (which we both know suddenly disappeared with the election of BO) used to play up the deaths to bring attention to the movement. They used Iraqi civilian deaths too and always the most exaggerated ones available.

Lack of WMDs and nation building (it's rocky road more so than the idea itself, IMO) undermined what support there was. Agreed. The neocons didn't portray it as a long term commitment. When it turned into one people weren't happy and rightfully so.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread