User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 US Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan Sat. Jan 7th, 2012.....

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    When I was in Iraq, the base would turn off the internet until family members could be notified of deaths. Of course if you had a private connection in your quarters that was available.

Musta have been how my wife's friend found out. Thanks I thought they blacked out things Until Contact with the family was done. Course now then it's all over facebook I would imagine.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Respect all around of course. We're just discussing.

They do deserve to be remembered but being memorialized on the 6 O'clock news is a different matter. What are we trying to do? Win? If so, this isn't the smart thing to do. I understand that you don't support the war and neither do I but that's not the point. Let me put it this way. What if you did support the war? What if you thought it was absolutely necessary and the righteous thing to do. What then? Would you support this kind of reporting when it undermines morale at home?
    Going along with your hypothetical, if it were a war well supported then this sort of thing wouldn't be damaging to morale. It would be considered a loss, certainly, but a loss in terms of an overall noble goal and the price one must pay for victory. We agree that if you go to war you go to win, but IMO hiding the death toll does more harm than good.

Really, I think most Americans don't pay attention to these stories - Kim Kardashian gets more airtime - and I doubt it even makes the national nightly news except in terms of periodic updates on death tallies.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respect all around of course. We're just discussing.

They do deserve to be remembered but being memorialized on the 6 O'clock news is a different matter. What are we trying to do? Win? If so, this isn't the smart thing to do. I understand that you don't support the war and neither do I but that's not the point. Let me put it this way. What if you did support the war? What if you thought it was absolutely necessary and the righteous thing to do. What then? Would you support this kind of reporting when it undermines morale at home?
    Yet we then report such when taking down the heads of AQ and other terrorists. Or report that we have killed so many and usually with an exact number. My point would be if you can use such to boost the morale of a nation, and especially those that would seek to keep us engaged and the money/politics that chooses to do so. Then you can't have.....just one side of the coin.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yet we then report such when taking down the heads of AQ and other terrorists. Or report that we have killed so many and usually with an exact number. My point would be if you can use such to boost the morale of a nation, and especially those that would seek to keep us engaged and the money/politics that chooses to do so. Then you can't have.....just one side of the coin.
    True. If the government keeps a lid on our casualties coming out that IMO that will probably lead to more general outrage and people being much more aware of the true cost of war. As it is these stories come out all the time and the masses have become numb to them. When was the last time we heard of an anti-war protest? Even as Obama expanded into Libya and moves toward Iran.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,471x in 36,446 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Going along with your hypothetical, if it were a war well supported then this sort of thing wouldn't be damaging to morale. It would be considered a loss, certainly, but a loss in terms of an overall noble goal and the price one must pay for victory. We agree that if you go to war you go to win, but IMO hiding the death toll does more harm than good.

Really, I think most Americans don't pay attention to these stories - Kim Kardashian gets more airtime - and I doubt it even makes the national nightly news except in terms of periodic updates on death tallies.
    Hiding the death toll and reporting on it daily are two different things and I do think dwelling on death and the true cost of war (e.g. mutilated bodies etc.) is extremely harmful to public morale especially over time regardless of how committed we are as a society to the war effort. That's why it was not done before Vietnam and the end result of that kind of reporting was defeat in Vietnam. Back in the 1940s, it was recognized as something you simply don't want to do. Thankfully, they didn't.

True. I doubt many people are really paying attention but your average person's impression of the war will be colored by those nightly newscasts. "More Americans killed in Iraq today..."
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Sure you can. Killing the enemy is a good thing. Our guys getting killed is a bad thing. Raising our morale is a good thing. Lowering our morale is a bad thing.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    True. If the government keeps a lid on our casualties coming out that IMO that will probably lead to more general outrage and people being much more aware of the true cost of war. As it is these stories come out all the time and the masses have become numb to them. When was the last time we heard of an anti-war protest? Even as Obama expanded into Libya and moves toward Iran.
    I'm not saying that a lid should be kept on anything but the obsession with daily death tolls does not do a war effort any good whatsoever.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure you can. Killing the enemy is a good thing. Our guys getting killed is a bad thing. Raising our morale is a good thing. Lowering our morale is a bad thing.
    I will go with Walter Cronkite stated.....

"The point is that in any war situation, this is the most intimate commitment that the American government can make of its people. This is our war, our troops, our boys, our girls. We need to know every detail about how they are performing in our name, both when they perform well and when they perform badly. It's most important when they perform badly, as a matter of fact. So war should be covered intimately. Correspondents should be there reporting on it. Their dispatches should go through a censorship procedure so that no military secrets are given to the enemy. But there is the report; it is there for history. It may not be released by censorship immediately, maybe not the next day, maybe not the next month, but it'll be there next year. It'll be there ten years from now.
    Today we have no independent film of the [1991] Persian Gulf War — none — because our correspondents, our film crews, were not permitted to go out on the front with the troops. They should have been. The tape they shot should have been sent back to censorship. If it couldn't be released immediately, at least it would be held for eventual release and for history. We don't have that history now. That history is lost to us. It's a crime against the democracy".....snip~

http://www.pbs.org/weta/reportingame...ensorship.html

I don't mind certain censorship in war just like Cronkite. Things that don't really give the enemy an advantage over us. With these conflicts now. We have lost history! Although, I don't say democracy I say the The Republic!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Conley (01-08-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That would have been incredible footage to see.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Truth may not set you free.....but none can say. One is not standing on righteous ground!

+ Reply to Thread