User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Court: Okla. ban on Islamic law unconstitutional

  1. #11
    Original Ranter
    Points: 807, Level: 6
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    CoLibertarian's Avatar Member
    Karma
    20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    154
    Points
    807
    Level
    6
    Thanks Given
    0
    Thanked 10x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Such may be the case but are those that do looking to set up gated communites and proceed to live life by their own set of laws? IMO no one has the right to beat their Children. But they do have the right to correct their children and or discipline them.
    What is wrong with setting up a community to live by their own rules (so long as freedom to live within that community is voluntary)? Are you not suggesting that you support the way the 14th amendment is currently being applied - ie that the beliefs of the majority are more important than private property right?

    As far as "beating" and "correcting" or "disciplining" goes, those are up for interpretation. What is discipline for one person might indeed be abuse to another. Why should the communities people live in not be the best judge of what is what?

  2. #12
    Original Ranter
    Points: 82,214, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    MMC's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    2528
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    22,709
    Points
    82,214
    Level
    69
    Thanks Given
    3,227
    Thanked 1,662x in 1,465 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Is that there Freedom for those women and children to come and go in a Muslim Community? To do as they please? To be able to try and follow the laws of the country they are living in as a Citizen of that country. Only to live as second class citizens in their communities. That they should not hold any prominent positions and must accept the law of their religious elders over the laws of their state and or country?

  3. #13
    Original Ranter
    Points: 807, Level: 6
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    CoLibertarian's Avatar Member
    Karma
    20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    154
    Points
    807
    Level
    6
    Thanks Given
    0
    Thanked 10x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Is that there Freedom for those women and children to come and go in a Muslim Community? To do as they please? To be able to try and follow the laws of the country they are living in as a Citizen of that country. Only to live as second class citizens in their communities. That they should not hold any prominent positions and must accept the law of their religious elders over the laws of their state and or country?
    Take the word Muslim out of your question and replace that with some other word such as Quaker, or Mormon, or Fundamentalist. Then answer your own question.

  4. #14
    Original Ranter
    Points: 82,214, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    MMC's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    2528
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    22,709
    Points
    82,214
    Level
    69
    Thanks Given
    3,227
    Thanked 1,662x in 1,465 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh I am sure I can throw out some Occult groups as well. Perhaps some Militant Communities as well. I take it you have been overseas to understand what it is to live in a Arab Muslim Community? Where when you want to go and pray freely to Christ, that you may do so Freely. Would you happen to know life lived under Sharia law?

  5. #15
    Original Ranter
    Points: 807, Level: 6
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    CoLibertarian's Avatar Member
    Karma
    20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    154
    Points
    807
    Level
    6
    Thanks Given
    0
    Thanked 10x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Oh I am sure I can throw out some Occult groups as well. Perhaps some Militant Communities as well. I take it you have been overseas to understand what it is to live in a Arab Muslim Community? Where when you want to go and pray freely to Christ, that you may do so Freely. Would you happen to know life lived under Sharia law?
    Not only have I been overseas to the Middle East (which I detest BTW), but I live with an Iranian exchange student, and my mother is a converted Muslim. Not all Muslims believe in the same Sharia Law that is portrayed by Faux News.

    The point is that I believe in personal choice. Too many people in this country (both from the left and right) want to use the force of government to force other people to live under their rules. I disagree with that practice.

  6. #16
    Original Ranter
    Points: 82,214, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    MMC's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    2528
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    22,709
    Points
    82,214
    Level
    69
    Thanks Given
    3,227
    Thanked 1,662x in 1,465 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CoLibertarian View Post
    Not only have I been overseas to the Middle East (which I detest BTW), but I live with an Iranian exchange student, and my mother is a converted Muslim. Not all Muslims believe in the same Sharia Law that is portrayed by Faux News.

    The point is that I believe in personal choice. Too many people in this country (both from the left and right) want to use the force of government to force other people to live under their rules. I disagree with that practice.
    Course they don't. Moreover I doubt they would know anything about Fox News, especially all those overseas. So that perception is only one from the 21st Century, and can only be played upon by those in this Country.

    I can agree on that people want to use the force of government. Yet when one accept those laws and government. Then thats what they should use. The process within the law.

    I to have lived with Muslims, including militant muslims. Yet within the Arab Muslim Community are women and children allowed to live by personal choice?

  7. #17
    Original Ranter
    Points: 807, Level: 6
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    CoLibertarian's Avatar Member
    Karma
    20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    154
    Points
    807
    Level
    6
    Thanks Given
    0
    Thanked 10x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Course they don't. Moreover I doubt they would know anything about Fox News, especially all those overseas. So that perception is only one from the 21st Century, and can only be played upon by those in this Country.

    I can agree on that people want to use the force of government. Yet when one accept those laws and government. Then thats what they should use. The process within the law.

    I to have lived with Muslims, including militant muslims. Yet within the Arab Muslim Community are women and children allowed to live by personal choice?
    Within most communities, children are not allow to live by personal choice. What is the difference between what you are suggesting about what the government should do about how children are raised within Muslim communities and what lefty socialists suggest the government should do with children in Christian communities?

    Yes there is a social contract that all people (regardless of religion) must follow if they choose to be part of that society. However, our society is supposed to allow for a wide variety of personal liberty and choice. We have the right of contract and the right of private property. We should have the right to contract within this society to formulate communities we wish to belong to. If you choose to ignore those rights (with Muslims) what is to prevent some other majority from ignoring your right to do the same?

    Getting back to the original question, what if the law passed had been about not using Leviticus as a reference for rules of law? Leviticus is far worse than Sharia Law and only an insane person would suggest it should ever be considered. However, imagine what the outcry would be if Leviticus was the target and not Sharia. Thus, to me, the law in question is nothing more than prejudice being written into law and is an abuse of the majority over a minority.

  8. #18
    Original Ranter
    Points: 82,214, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    MMC's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    2528
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    22,709
    Points
    82,214
    Level
    69
    Thanks Given
    3,227
    Thanked 1,662x in 1,465 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Do you think Romans, Chinese, American Indians, Mezo American Indians, and the Hindus were using Leviticus? Or were you acquainting all with Sharia with what has been stated for the last 30 yrs?

  9. #19
    Original Ranter
    Points: 807, Level: 6
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    CoLibertarian's Avatar Member
    Karma
    20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    154
    Points
    807
    Level
    6
    Thanks Given
    0
    Thanked 10x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Do you think Romans, Chinese, American Indians, Mezo American Indians, and the Hindus were using Leviticus? Or were you acquainting all with Sharia with what has been stated for the last 30 yrs?
    I don't think anyone (other than a maniac - ala Dr Laura) tries to use Leviticus as an indicator of what law should be. The point is more about what would happen if instead of Sharia, Leviticus was the aim of the law.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Forum Topsite Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO