Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,058x in 1,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Evil View Post
    Unions as they were originally conceived were a good thing. They have since corrupted their purpose and lost their way.

I wrote a piece on it here. Having viewed both sides of the union argument. They are not really needed much any more. Not with the advent of social media and such, or just a large email bomb.
    i think unions are still a good/necessary thing. i've seen too many people eviscerate benefits and the things that allow people to live a middle class life. that isn't to say there aren't things wrong with unions.

i think, given the activism and vilification of workers unions are very necessary. i understand why you think they might not be needed anymore. but it's clear that the minute they're not there, workers get treated like garbage.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    i think unions are still a good/necessary thing. i've seen too many people eviscerate benefits and the things that allow people to live a middle class life. that isn't to say there aren't things wrong with unions.

i think, given the activism and vilification of workers unions are very necessary. i understand why you think they might not be needed anymore. but it's clear that the minute they're not there, workers get treated like garbage.
    If union membership were optional without reprisal - I wouldn't give a damn about them in the slightest. Unless they interfered with me doing my work with their inane policies.

Lack of choice is my main gripe. That and most unions are basically money laundering for the left wing given how many public sector unions we have now days.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:

Codename Section (09-27-2013)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no problems with unions. I have problems with pro-union (or anti-union) laws. People should always be allowed to collectively and cooperatively gather together to achieve a goal, be it buying power or arranging for labor negotiations. To disallow it is antithetical to freedom and liberty.

What I do mind is pro-union laws that prevent companies from firing people who start a union or to force them to show their books, so to speak, or to prevent criminal charges for violent activities just because the people are in a union.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    I have no problems with unions. I have problems with pro-union (or anti-union) laws. People should always be allowed to collectively and cooperatively gather together to achieve a goal, be it buying power or arranging for labor negotiations. To disallow it is antithetical to freedom and liberty.

What I do mind is pro-union laws that prevent companies from firing people who start a union or to force them to show their books, so to speak, or to prevent criminal charges for violent activities just because the people are in a union.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

+ Reply to Thread