User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why The FHA Bailout Should Surprise No One...

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AmazonTania's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 851x in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why The FHA Bailout Should Surprise No One...

My what a difference 5 years make. After all the fan fare about how the administration 'rescued' the mortgage market, the supposed housing recovery and 3 Trillion of liquidity provided by the Federal Reserve, it was assured the worse was over. Right? Well, today the FHA just announced that it needs a Government Bailout for the first time in it's 79 year history. It's really not all that surprising, being that the FHA failed it's Federal Reserve stress test a few months ago. The agency was to exceed it's reserves by 13.5 billion in over 30 years.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal housing agency said Friday it needs a $1.7 billion bailout from the Treasury to cover projected losses in its reverse mortgage programs which allow seniors to borrow against their homes for everyday living expenses.

Federal Housing Administration Commissioner Carole Galante told Congress in a letter that her agency will withdraw the money from the Treasury before the fiscal year ends Monday. Congressional approval is not required. The cash infusion is the first in the agency's 79-year history.

The agency, which insures 40 million home mortgages, is struggling with $5 billion in losses on its reverse mortgage program.
    Reverse mortgage borrowers, who must be 62 or older, can take lump-sum or monthly payments. They still must pay property taxes and insurance. Sale proceeds from a home go to the lender when the borrower dies or moves out.
    The FHA suffered big losses when many borrowers took large payments up-front and later ran into financial problems, often due to falling home values during the financial crisis.
    The agency has sufficient cash to pay insurance claims against mortgage defaults, Galante said, citing more than $30 billion in cash and investments on hand.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fha-d...y-cover-losses

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 1,648
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,331x in 14,539 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! no surprise here at all. What are your thoughts on Fannie and Freddie? Are they next?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few billion more moving around in Washington DC's multi-trillion dollar slush fund.

Why D.C. Is the Richest Region in the Country

One result is that, today, for the first time, most of America's richest counties are in the Washington area. Of the richest 1 percent of counties in the U.S., 43 percent surround the nation’s capital city.

...average total compensation for a federal employee is now about $120,000, and the gap between government pay and private pay has been growing.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Just a few billion more moving around in Washington DC's multi-trillion dollar slush fund.

One result is that, today, for the first time, most of America's richest counties are in the Washington area. Of the richest 1 percent of counties in the U.S., 43 percent surround the nation’s capital city.

...average total compensation for a federal employee is now about $120,000, and the gap between government pay and private pay has been growing.

Devil dog, don't hate. I live there.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,394
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    jillian's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,058x in 1,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know 120,000 isn't a lot for them compared to the private sector, right? it doesn't even put them into the top 1%

darryl issa is the wealthiest member of congress with a net worth of 355 million dollars

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...t-in-congress/

remember that when you ask why he behaves as he does...and remember that congress never cuts its own pay when it talks about "cutting the deficit"...no matter how many days off they take.

just saying.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    you know 120,000 isn't a lot for them compared to the private sector, right? it doesn't even put them into the top 1%
    The single mother who works at Walmart is in the "private sector", so how are you measuring its income?

darryl issa is the wealthiest member of congress with a net worth of 355 million dollars

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...t-in-congress/

remember that when you ask why he behaves as he does...and remember that congress never cuts its own pay when it talks about "cutting the deficit"...no matter how many days off they take.

just saying.
    Just to clue you in, and I'll only say this once, I am NOT a Republican, so attacking them will not upset me in the least, nor will it undermine my political philosophy.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,394
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    jillian's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,058x in 1,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The single mother who works at Walmart is in the "private sector", so how are you measuring its income?

Just to clue you in, and I'll only say this once, I am NOT a Republican, so attacking them will not upset me in the least, nor will it undermine my political philosophy.
    and where in my post did i mention the word "republican" or any party. i mentioned a specific (grandstanding) congressman...

and talked about how the entire congress doesn't cut its own pay.

soooo while i appreciate that you're not a republican.. i'm wondering why you felt i was attacking any group in particular.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    and where in my post did i mention the word "republican" or any party. i mentioned a specific (grandstanding) congressman...
    And why did you mention him?

and talked about how the entire congress doesn't cut its own pay.
    Yes, and?

soooo while i appreciate that you're not a republican.. i'm wondering why you felt i was attacking any group in particular.
    Because you're obviously an Obama supporter.

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,426x in 54,993 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, jillian has managed to side track another thread.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Mainecoons (11-22-2013)

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,426x in 54,993 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonTania View Post
    My what a difference 5 years make. After all the fan fare about how the administration 'rescued' the mortgage market, the supposed housing recovery and 3 Trillion of liquidity provided by the Federal Reserve, it was assured the worse was over. Right? Well, today the FHA just announced that it needs a Government Bailout for the first time in it's 79 year history. It's really not all that surprising, being that the FHA failed it's Federal Reserve stress test a few months ago. The agency was to exceed it's reserves by 13.5 billion in over 30 years.

This, while I get it's a continuation of the housing bubble failure which was supposed to have been fixed, seems to be a case now of government being to big to fail.

I find it difficult to believe the FHA does not have to ask Congress for approval but can simply take the money and bail itself out.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread