Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codename Section View Post
    Why do you believe that? The most powerful one we had "Pinkerton" had a hard time in the Old West because people didn't feel like cooperating.
    Because it's human nature.

We've always had a state, I'm speaking of a hypothetical scenario with no state. And today is very different than the old West.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Because it's human nature.

We've always had a state, I'm speaking of a hypothetical scenario with no state. And today is very different than the old West.
    Yes, we're better off. Technology is almost making the state irrelevant. People now have easy access to communication.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we're better off. Technology is almost making the state irrelevant. People now have easy access to communication.
    The state still does whatever the $#@! it wants, so I don't know about it being irrelevant.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If the state collapsed, private securities would rise as their own mini state. It's sad, but it's true.

As long as humans are the way they are, it's unavoidable, state or no state.

But that's what we have now with state-run security, as codename said, "monopoly of force and no alternative means of articulating justice".

Private security would preclude that monopoly through competition, private security companies competing to provide security, while they also cooperate by negotiating agreements and settlements.

Security would not just involve police, fire, ambulance protection, but also private arbitrators to provide a sort of private justice system.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The state still does whatever the $#@! it wants, so I don't know about it being irrelevant.
    Because the state has a monopoly on force so it can. Without it, if I am being harassed I can hit a button on my smart phone app and a bunch of badasses will who up with ARs.

Actually, depending on the township and the type of application you can do away with a private security company. For example, in the area we are moving into the town is small and the number of gun owners is 100%.

If everyone who wants security agrees to participate you can use an application that calls a "militia" for a crime in progress or emergency.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this out and we should all support him if we put our money where our philosophy is http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/peacekeeper

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Axiomatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 144x in 110 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that private security can work and be better than government security because that monopoly of force and no alternative means of articulating justice creates corruption and creates growth of force and consolidation of power. It will also be safer for citizens because you need the controls of "what is a proper engagement" that is pro-citizen and not pro-security.
    Yup. No private security firm would be successful if their agents acted like cops. Most unreasonable confrontations would be eliminated just by taking state law out of the picture. Most confrontations initiated by police don't involve a prior victim, or even a potential victim. The state calls itself the victim in the vast majority of those confrontations. Private security never needs to initiate those kinds of confrontations, which also frees up a great deal of time that the private security agents can spend on something less destructive. I would say more productive, which is also true, but I think less destructive is more appropriate in this case.

Because I believe so strongly that it cannot be a monopoly I also believe that there must be competing private security. No exclusive contract. People will need to have YELP like reviews or some type of instant feedback loop.
    I don't know of any real monopolies that aren't caused by the state. None of the classic examples that people point to are monopolies. WalMart and Microsoft have never been monopolies. Even if there were no other department stores WalMart still wouldn't be a monopoly because they are not the exclusive provider of anything they sell. Real monopolies are things like your utility companies, Monsanto, the Federal Reserve and the state, itself, all state created. Yes, private security would inevitably face competition without the state.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I think citizens should pool to be their own security or have no exclusive contracts.

XL and I to an extent are raising man's nature into this scenario. My friend (aldo) on the other site is an aggro dude. He is great at theater bad at garrison and if he were a cop without USMC constraints I would pity the town. I have had to $#@! him up several times because of his attitude and he actually calms down after he takes a beating and will buy you beers that day.

The only way to keep those types from running amok is your ability to beat the $#@! out of him if he puts a hand on you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Codename Section For This Useful Post:

Guerilla (10-06-2013)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Axiomatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 144x in 110 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I think citizens should pool to be their own security or have no exclusive contracts.

XL and I to an extent are raising man's nature into this scenario. My friend (aldo) on the other site is an aggro dude. He is great at theater bad at garrison and if he were a cop without USMC constraints I would pity the town. I have had to $#@! him up several times because of his attitude and he actually calms down after he takes a beating and will buy you beers that day.

The only way to keep those types from running amok is your ability to beat the $#@! out of him if he puts a hand on you.
    lofnl That same day, really? Yes, people should keep themselves and neighbors can do that as a unit. But, ultimately, people end up dividing labor. Without a state, which is what we're talking about here, security companies are inevitable.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiomatic View Post
    lofnl That same day, really?
    Yep. I walked into the room he was in, pulled him out of his chair and beat the $#@! out of him. He comes back later with a bushel of crabs, beer, and a new game and says he was sorry for getting mouthy.

Yes, people should keep themselves and neighbors can do that as a unit. But, ultimately, people end up dividing labor. Without a state, which is what we're talking about here, security companies are inevitable.
    Yes, I guess. I still think some communities don't need it. Like the one we're all moving to within a year will have 24 ex special operations people aged 24-32 living there. If we were all on some hand held alert it wouldn't even be necessary. Hell, we'd be racing to the scene of an event that's what sort of adrenalin junkies we all are.
    @Mr. Evil am I wrong?

+ Reply to Thread