Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    I'm sorry you can't see what I'm saying.

If you think I agree with abusing kids or sending them away from their parents for any reason then you need to reread what I'm saying. All I said was that it is inflammatory to say they were kidnapped by Christ.

They were shoved aside by their parents to a religious reeducation camp.

Are kids at Fork Union, kidnapped by the military? No.

The title could have been better.
    Well, it does happen to be a Christian school. It's not a secular school. I didn't make the title, I just reported it. It is significant to the woman who made the documentary BECAUSE she is an evangelical Christian.

I would guess she wanted to wake people up, ESPECIALLY Christians, since that is her faith.

As a former Catholic, I've long been aware of the wrongs committed by the institutional RCC. Here are some examples:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

I'm quite concerned about religious abuse in general. It happens in every religion, including Buddhism.
    Last edited by sky dancer; 12-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sky dancer View Post
    Well, it does happen to be a Christian school. It's not a secular school. I didn't make the title, I just reported it. It is significant to the woman who made the documentary BECAUSE she is an evangelical Christian.

I would guess she wanted to wake people up, ESPECIALLY Christians, since that is her faith.
    No, it's not my faith. My faith doesn't kidnap kids.
    And if we should die tonight
    Then we should all die together
    Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    Calling out father, prepare as we will
    Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
    Desolation comes upon the sky..

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    sky dancer's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's not my faith. My faith doesn't kidnap kids.
    If you're a Christian, then you must accept that this IS a Christian school. Denying that makes it seem as though you aren't willing to accept that some wrong happens in the world in the name of Christ.

Does it make any difference to you that I found this story in Gay News or that some of the kids sent to the school were gay?

What's horrifying to me is that American parents would send their kids someplace where the schools are not monitored for abuse.
    Last edited by sky dancer; 12-16-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're a Christian, then you must accept that this IS a Christian school. Denying that makes it seem as though you aren't willing to accept that some wrong happens in the world in the name of Christ.
    No, the argument I am making is more nuanced and honest than that. Christ kidnapped no one. A bunch of parents send their kids out of the country because they have issues with their interpretation of a document.

Individuals run the school. I have no part in it, wouldn't do something like that, etc. Yet, I am a Catholic and a "Christian".

I don't believe in collective punishment or collective achievement. For example, that lesbian waitress thread became about gays because she alerted and got GLAAD involved. Is it GLAADs fault she was a bad representative?

No.

Does it make any difference to you that I found this story in Gay News or that some of the kids sent to the school were gay?
    It makes no difference to me if the kids were gay, unruly, black, white, ... I believe boarding schools are cruel, so of course I'll feel its cruel to put kids in an environment that is scary and hurtful.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the argument I am making is more nuanced and honest than that. Christ kidnapped no one. A bunch of parents send their kids out of the country because they have issues with their interpretation of a document.

Individuals run the school. I have no part in it, wouldn't do something like that, etc. Yet, I am a Catholic and a "Christian".

I don't believe in collective punishment or collective achievement. For example, that lesbian waitress thread became about gays because she alerted and got GLAAD involved. Is it GLAADs fault she was a bad representative?

No.

It makes no difference to me if the kids were gay, unruly, black, white, ... I believe boarding schools are cruel, so of course I'll feel its cruel to put kids in an environment that is scary and hurtful.
    I agree with you that boarding schools are cruel, and these are some of the worst. I think it's wrong to put your head in the sand when the faith you belong to does something very wrong.

I feel the same anguish hearing about Buddhists in Sri Lanka, Burma and other Asian countries being at war with people of a different faith. It's wrong. Buddhism teaches first and foremost to do no harm, to not kill. So while I may be able to comfort myself by saying these Buddhists are not acting in accordance with the Buddha's teachings, nonetheless they are Buddhists and they are doing great wrong.

I would think a good Catholic would be very concerned about some of the harm that has been done by nuns and priests in the RCC.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with you that boarding schools are cruel, and these are some of the worst. I think it's wrong to put your head in the sand when the faith you belong to does something very wrong.
    My faith didn't do anything wrong. Individuals, probably no more than 100 out of 1 billion, did something pretty $#@!ing stupid because they interpret the Bible, mostly the Old Testament, in a mean way.

My faith is 1 billion people of different interpretations.

I feel the same anguish hearing about Buddhists in Sri Lanka, Burma and other Asian countries being at war with people of a different faith. It's wrong. Buddhism teaches first and foremost to do no harm, to not kill. So while I may be able to comfort myself by saying these Buddhists are not acting in accordance with the Buddha's teachings, nonetheless they are Buddhists and they are doing great wrong.

I would think a good Catholic would be very concerned about some of the harm that has been done by nuns and priests in the RCC.
    More kids have been molested in public schools. Should public schools be shut down or teachers concerned about the harm done by teachers?

No.

I am responsible for me. You are responsible for you.

Those parents should be beaten with rubber hoses for doing that to their kids, as well as, the school teachers. No one else.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that no "group" should be blamed for the actions of individuals and I also agree that it is bull$#@! to send your kids away to ungay them.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My faith didn't do anything wrong. Individuals, probably no more than 100 out of 1 billion, did something pretty $#@!ing stupid because they interpret the Bible, mostly the Old Testament, in a mean way.

My faith is 1 billion people of different interpretations.

More kids have been molested in public schools. Should public schools be shut down or teachers concerned about the harm done by teachers?

No.

I am responsible for me. You are responsible for you.

Those parents should be beaten with rubber hoses for doing that to their kids, as well as, the school teachers. No one else.
    No one is indicting Christianity in general, nor YOUR FAITH in particular. Nonetheless, some institutional forms of Christianity, such as these camps, behave badly.

Shame on you for dismissing priest pedophilia by saying more kids are molested in public schools. Children are traumatized TWICE by the perpetrators and by the institution that systematically protects perpetrators.

You're making Catholics look bad for not acknowledging the harm that has gone on by the RCC protection of priest pedophiles for so many decades. JMO, of course.
    Last edited by sky dancer; 12-16-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No one is indicting Christianity in general, nor YOUR FAITH in particular. Nonetheless, some institutional forms of Christianity, such as these camps, behave badly.
    No, that is not a form of Christianity. That is a group of sickos who grasp at straws to find reasons to hate. When you can show me where it says in the Gospels this is acceptable I'll concede its a form of Christianity.

Shame on you for dismissing priest pedophilia by saying more kids are molested in public schools. Children are traumatized TWICE by the perpetrators and by the institution that systematically protects perpetrators.
    Nope. Not playing that game. Never dismissed it. I made an analogy. And the public schools DO have more incidents of pedophilia in them, and I wouldn't shut down public schools because of a few pedophiles nor would I blame the schools for not shutting down because of pedophiles.

Individuals should receive blame for what they individually did.

You're making Catholics look bad for not acknowledging the harm that has gone on by the RCC protection of priest pedophiles for so many decades. JMO, of course.
    JMO, you're angry and being mean. You've yet to hear my argument which is that individual people should accept blame for individual actions and that innocent people should not be punished along with them.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4427968.html

Wow, this is a story of gay kids experiencing extraordinary rendition to schools outside the US for forced anti-gay "therapy".
    I've been looking for more reports on the movies, specifically for clear depictions of what was considered "abuse" since that can cover a large range of concepts. When I was in school from 1962 to 1974, it wasn't unusual in some schools (I went to 11 different elementary and high schools) for corporal punishment to be used. I'd been told to bend over a desk or to grab my ankles more than a few times and then swatted 3-5 times as a reminder of what I'd done wrong. Was that abuse? I'm sure some would consider being sent to my room without my dinner except for a few pieces of bread and a glass of water to be extreme abuse. I do not. Harsh, yes, but abuse? No.

Also, it's wrong to say this is an anti-gay therapy school. Not all the kids there are gay. In fact, for a supposed "anti-gay" school the description of Level Zero and Level One seems contrary to idea. The school seems to adhere to "old school" disciplanary principles not longer found in a country where "There are no winners or losers. Everybody is a winner! Gold stars for everyone! Yayyy!"

+ Reply to Thread