Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 807x in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I think that the formation of meaning is part and parcel of religion. Some sociologists of religion would say it's the very essence of religion. We are always trying to make sense of the world we are born into. Would our lives be possible otherwise? Anyway, myth is not a substitute for logic. We're thinking of "myth" in two very different ways but I tend to agree with you that uncertainty is a fact of human existence. Rather than embrace it, however, one should merely acknowledge it.
    When I say that people should embrace uncertainty instead of substituting logic with myth, for the most part I am referring to people who practice religion for the sole purpose of community and tradition, and who do not try to make sense of their practice. Let's face it. There are many naive people in both the religious and the atheist realms who ritualistically do and say things without thinking. While I will defend that it is their right to do so, I think it is an ignorance that confuses our culture, cripples our understanding, and slows our prosperity.
    Faith can move mountains, but don't forget to bring your shovel.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post
    When I say that people should embrace uncertainty instead of substituting logic with myth, for the most part I am referring to people who practice religion for the sole purpose of community and tradition, and who do not try to make sense of their practice. Let's face it. There are many naive people in both the religious and the atheist realms who ritualistically do and say things without thinking. While I will defend that it is their right to do so, I think it is an ignorance that confuses our culture, cripples our understanding, and slows our prosperity.
    I was one of those people when I was younger but that's true of all of us with regard to one practice or another. One generation has to transmit it's collective experience, it's values etc. to the next in some manner and while children don't truly understand or appreciate the traditions passed onto them that's how a civilization, a culture, or a community survives. I wasn't serious about Christianity until my 30s. I'm tremendously grateful to my mother for having raised us with that tradition because it became ingrained even if I wasn't a serious practitioner for many years. I think at some point we all make decisions in life about who we are, what we aspire to be, what we believe etc.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

spunkloaf (03-04-2012)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    spunkloaf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hear, hear.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    New question. The Christian lesson of "love thy enemy." Observe this hostile cultural climate, which is participated in and escalated by plenty of Christians as well as many others. What gives?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    New question. The Christian lesson of "love thy enemy." Observe this hostile cultural climate, which is participated in and escalated by plenty of Christians as well as many others. What gives?
    Christians, like all human beings, have failings. That should be obvious.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Scotty's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21x in 19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it they teaching from pastors whom are very bright...well intended and love God...just not very well informed themselves.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Christians, like all human beings, have failings. That should be obvious.
    If Christians are human beings which I do believe they are indeed, then I do expect them to fail at times. That is entirely forgivable, and most who identify with failure will agree. But there are natural consequences which accompany failure. In this case, when (some) Christians show contempt for their enemies while simultaneously attempting to promote their religious values, the consequence is that they are perceived as hypocrites. It is only human error, but I think it's the most damaging and largely unchecked failure a Christian OR non-Christian can happen upon. The unfortunate disadvantage for Christians failing to love their enemies, as opposed to the same failure committed by non-Christians, is that people assume Christians should "know better." This begs of another question. Does ignorance and naivety excuse failure? Does intelligence increase one's responsibility of avoiding failure?

I thought of this the other day while driving. I randomly had the radio tuned in to an inspiring sermon about loving one's enemy, given by an Irish priest. I didn't catch the name. Any idea who it might have been?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Christians are human beings which I do believe they are indeed, then I do expect them to fail at times. That is entirely forgivable, and most who identify with failure will agree. But there are natural consequences which accompany failure. In this case, when (some) Christians show contempt for their enemies while simultaneously attempting to promote their religious values, the consequence is that they are perceived as hypocrites. It is only human error, but I think it's the most damaging and largely unchecked failure a Christian OR non-Christian can happen upon. The unfortunate disadvantage for Christians failing to love their enemies, as opposed to the same failure committed by non-Christians, is that people assume Christians should "know better." This begs of another question. Does ignorance and naivety excuse failure? Does intelligence increase one's responsibility of avoiding failure?

I thought of this the other day while driving. I randomly had the radio tuned in to an inspiring sermon about loving one's enemy, given by an Irish priest. I didn't catch the name. Any idea who it might have been?
    I do think Christians should be careful in that regard because, right or wrong, Christianity will be judged by some based on their behavior. I tend to agree with the observation that many of those who rail against church are really railing against people in the church.

Not sure. It's been a long time since I've listend to anything onh the radio. I've caught a few snippets of Rush here and there on my way to get a sandwich but that's about it.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Alias's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 174x in 160 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Church" is made up of people who are sinners. The head of the Church is perfect, Jesus Christ. Christians are only saved by the good work of the head of the church, not by their good works. That is not a license to sin, but a responsibility to admit our failings and strive to do better. That's all anyone can expect from sinners.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alias For This Useful Post:

wingrider (03-06-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wingrider's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 789x in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you all know that I am a christian,, but here is the clincher , I am also human with all the problems that come with it.. I have feelings, and when some people denigrate me for what I believe it touches a button that makes me want to retailiate, I shouldn't do it I know its wrong and I feel terrible after I have done it.. does that make me a hippocrit?/ I don't think so.. in my opinion it just makes me lose part of my testimony,, yes it is difficult to be a christian at times especially when dealing with people who are just looking for an reason or an excuse to cut you down even further,, it seems that the unbelievers expect christians to be more than what they really are.. a sinner saved by the Grace of God, nothing more , nothing less.
    The eastern world, it is exploding, violence flaring bullets loading. you are old enough to kill , but not for voting, this whole crazy world is just to frustrating, and you tell me over and over and over again my friend, you don't believe we are on the EVE of DESTRUCTION.

Never approach a bull from the front, A horse from behind, or a fool from any direction.

+ Reply to Thread