Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bible discussions

Now that I am where a serious religion section is possible I think it would be interesting and informative to discuss some biblical books, chapters, themes etc. I will get the ball rolling in the morning unless someone beats me to the punch tonight. I'm not sure what to offer up for discussion yet but I will think of something soon. I've been reading a theology of the Old Testament for a couple months now and feel like discussing some of what I've learned and some of the theories/interpretations I've recently been exposed to.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wingrider's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 789x in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks D this nshould be a good thread, hopefully we can branch out and do different studies simultaneously. I would enjoy participatimg in different aspects of thought..

I will start if you don't mind to much and we can expand as we go..

Mathew 24:1-8

1And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
    2And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
    3And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
    4And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
    5For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
    6And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
    7For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8All these are the beginning of sorrows.

here Jesus is giving the prophecy for the end times and his ultimate return . in vs 1 and two Jesus tells the diciples that the temple would be destroyed and not one stone would be left standing .. this happened by Titus in 70 AD.. and for 2000 years there has been no temple for the jews to worship in, now in Revelation we find that there will be a third temple built in the last days. interestingly The Jews have already begun plans for its construction and have already made the instruments and furniture that will be in the third temple..
    vs 3,4 and 5

Jesus is telling the iciples that many shall come saying they are the the Christ but not to be decieved, this has happened periodically since Jesus ascension but most notably in the last 50 to 60 years we have had men like Jones ( Guyana masacre) and the fellow Moon, I have heard of a fellow in Texas or Florida that is claiming to be the second comeing of christ he is a spanish fellow but I don't remember his name.
    only thing is we got to remember that Jesus is a Jewish rabbi, therefor unless these others can prove to be jewish I doubt there veracity,

remember what the angels told the diciples " just as you have seem him depart you shall see him return.. in otther words he will be the same person./

any way guys lets expand on this and see what develops ..
    The eastern world, it is exploding, violence flaring bullets loading. you are old enough to kill , but not for voting, this whole crazy world is just to frustrating, and you tell me over and over and over again my friend, you don't believe we are on the EVE of DESTRUCTION.

Never approach a bull from the front, A horse from behind, or a fool from any direction.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the third temple interpretation. One of the themes of the NT is that Jerusalem has been emptied of its important in salvation history. The NT writers speak of a heavenly Jerusalem but Israel, as a geopolitical entity, and earthly Jerusalem simply do not have the importance attached to them that they do in the OT.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then how do you account for these passages.. now remember this the temple was destroyed in 70 ad.. the excerpt I am quoting was written in about 94 AD so ....

Revelation chapter 11
    I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, “Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, and count the worshipers there. 2 But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles.

. Daniel 9:27 (NIV84)
    27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on a wing of the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.”

so the question begs to be answered . how can the Antichrist desecrate the temple if it isn't built for him to do so?
    The eastern world, it is exploding, violence flaring bullets loading. you are old enough to kill , but not for voting, this whole crazy world is just to frustrating, and you tell me over and over and over again my friend, you don't believe we are on the EVE of DESTRUCTION.

Never approach a bull from the front, A horse from behind, or a fool from any direction.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The passage in Daniel may refer to the plundering of the temple in 168-169 B.C. by Antiochus. The "abomination that causes desolation" is something this Syrian king constructed when he renamed the temple "Olympian Zeus".

As for Revelation, the temple is the church (i.e. us as Christian people).

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    The passage in Daniel may refer to the plundering of the temple in 168-169 B.C. by Antiochus. The "abomination that causes desolation" is something this Syrian king constructed when he renamed the temple "Olympian Zeus".

As for Revelation, the temple is the church (i.e. us as Christian people).
    Daniel was taken captive when the first temple was destroyed by the babylonians, so when he wrote about the temple being destroyed in daneil chaper 9 and takeing the vs in context . it would have been after cyrus had given the decree for the 2nd temple to be rebuilt,

if Christians are the " temple " why would you need to measure them.. and besides that Revelation after chapter 4 is God dealing with Isreal and unrepentant gentiles.. for the Church to claim that they have taken the place of Isreal is in my opinion misreading scripture. Nowhere that I can find in scripture has such an event happened,, in fact Paul says that Gentiles are grafted onto the branch, Isreal is the branch not Christians.

if you can find one passage of scripture that denys Gods promises to Isreal and has transfferred that promise to Christians I would love to read it... There is a reason the Church is not spoken of after the 4th Chapter of Revelation. it is called the rapture.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wingrider View Post
    Daniel was taken captive when the first temple was destroyed by the babylonians, so when he wrote about the temple being destroyed in daneil chaper 9 and takeing the vs in context . it would have been after cyrus had given the decree for the 2nd temple to be rebuilt,

if Christians are the " temple " why would you need to measure them.. and besides that Revelation after chapter 4 is God dealing with Isreal and unrepentant gentiles.. for the Church to claim that they have taken the place of Isreal is in my opinion misreading scripture. Nowhere that I can find in scripture has such an event happened,, in fact Paul says that Gentiles are grafted onto the branch, Isreal is the branch not Christians.

if you can find one passage of scripture that denys Gods promises to Isreal and has transfferred that promise to Christians I would love to read it... There is a reason the Church is not spoken of after the 4th Chapter of Revelation. it is called the rapture.
    The second temple was sacked in 168-169 by Antiochus long after Cyrus had decreed that a new temple could be built.

Revelation is apocalyptic literature. It's not meant to be interpreted literally. In any case, one of the primary themes of the NT is that the church is true Israel. We are the heirs of Abraham. We are his spiritual descendants regardless of any blood relationship. If you think that's misreading scripture I'm not sure what to tell you.

~Alain de Benoist

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

shaarona (09-30-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok.. if it was antiochus that daniel was talking about and he sacked the temple in 168 BC then why did Jesus prophecy that the temple would be destroyed , His probhecy was told in 33 AD and the temple was destroyed by Titus and the Romans in 70 AD nearly 40 years later.

you still havent told me whaere you get the bibical authority to displace isreal and put Christians in the place of Gods chosen people..

let me ask you one thing do you follow the preterist point of view?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ok.. if it was antiochus that daniel was talking about and he sacked the temple in 168 BC then why did Jesus prophecy that the temple would be destroyed , His probhecy was told in 33 AD and the temple was destroyed by Titus and the Romans in 70 AD nearly 40 years later.
    Why are the two prophecies mutually exclusive?

you still havent told me whaere you get the bibical authority to displace isreal and put Christians in the place of Gods chosen people..
    I don't have any authority. I just read the Gospels and Paul's letters. We haven't displaced Israel. We are true Israel regardless of our racial heritage. I am as much a descendant of Abraham as any ethnic Jew.

let me ask you one thing do you follow the preterist point of view?
    I don;t know what a preterist is.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you like this video and want to see the rest of the series let me know

+ Reply to Thread