User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obama Speaks To AIPAC, Pushes More Time For Iran.....

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obama Speaks To AIPAC, Pushes More Time For Iran.....

The message Obama gave to the flagship Israel lobbying organization -- on which he's expected to elaborate when he hosts Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for talks on Iran's nuclear program on Monday -- was simple: His track record on everything from unprecedented levels of military cooperation with Israel to repeatedly running diplomatic interference for it at the U.N. leaves no grounds for doubt that "when the chips are down, I have Israel's back." He vowed to take military action, if that was necessary to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, but at the same time noted that Iran, by common U.S.-Israeli assessment, hasn't yet decided to build an atom bomb. And he made the case that Israel is far better served, right now, by a strategy of pressure and diplomacy that might dissuade Iran from cross that fateful line, than by threatening or launching a war with potentially disastrous consequences without necessarily solving the problem.

"Already, there is too much loose talk of war," Obama warned. "Over the last few weeks, such talk has only benefited the Iranian government, by driving up the price of oil, which they depend upon to fund their nuclear program. For the sake of Israel's security, America's security, and the peace and security of the world, now is not the time for bluster; now is the time to let our increased pressure sink in."

President Obama pointed out that his Administration has imposed unprecedented political, economic and diplomatic pressure on Iran, vowed more, and declared his willingness to use the ultimate sanction -- military force -- should Iran cross the red line of building a nuclear weapon. Having clarified and declared his willingness to use force, as his critics have demanded, he nonetheless set the red line at a point that won't necessarily satisfy them -- Iran building nuclear weapons, rather than having the means to do so. Still, having signaled his willingness to put U.S. blood and treasure on the line to stop Iran becoming a nuclear-armed state, he pivoted to demand that those serious about Israel's best interests allow more time and political space for sanctions and a ramped up diplomatic effort to resolve the issue without a potentially disastrous war.

But Obama was making the case that those most concerned with Israel's security were obliged to resolve the Iran nuclear issue without war if that was possible. And bashing the drums of war does little to help that effort.

Haaretz reports that earlier plans for the two sides to issue a joint statement after the Obama-Netanyahu White House meeting appear to have been shelved. Still, Obama also gave Netanyahu plenty to cheer about, declaring his support for Israel's freedom of action and his support for its right and capability to "defend itself, by itself".....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/eve-israel-mee...073500869.html

The Israeli President believes Obama is serious? (Peres) Anything unusal about shelving the the joint Statement? It appears the media seems to be saying that Obama has made all this progress with the Israelis. That they Understand him now.

Israel has always had the right to make their own strike and decide to defend itself. So isn't that a useless statement by Obama? Considering the Israeli Government had already released a Statement saying that they did not Need to Inform us so as to reduce any attacks upon us if they did strike. How is this giving Netanyahu something to cheer about?
    Last edited by MMC; 03-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If they had hammered out an agreement wouldn't they have issued a joint statement? The fact that they had one scheduled and then took it off the books to me suggests they didn't reach a compromise.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responding CL.....I was listening to the News Report for more info on their meeting. I didn't hear much.

I will delete this piece as i am not going to leave it up here with only one response sitting up here for most of the day. Since it is non-active.

NP tho!
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It has been a slow day on here MMC, it's nothing personal. We just haven't been as busy today as we were yesterday. Work piles up and then we have to deal with it on a Monday morning.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back to your original post, I agree that it is a pretty useless statement by Obama.

I think that his definition of Israel defending itself and Peres's definition are probably two different things. Israel isn't going to wait to be nuked before doing something, just like our Department of Defense is more offense these days.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about it CL. I figure I will catch something later on it. Although it was finally released that Peres was here to be at AIPAC. I was thinking to myself wonder why they said nothing of Peres arriving before Netanyahu.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,769
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mainecoons's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,437x in 4,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fairness to Obama, Israel and Iran are a no-win for anyone in government who doesn't get it that the right course of action is to end any usage of mideast oil and tell that entire area to go piss on themselves, and BTW don't even THINK of getting off a plane or ship here. This problem needs to be put square in the laps of the people who contribute so much to it, the Europeans.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's a reason for this sudden rhetoric, BO is meeting with Netanyahu today.

It's all typical BO grandstanding - feel good words tailored just for the occasion.

So according to BO, he tells them (more or less) 'take it easy on the war talk, gas prices are going through the roof - oh, by the way, the US will blow them to $#@!ing kingdom come to protect our own interests".

Yeah, whatever. I'm surprised that Netanyahu is even bothering.
    my junk is ugly

+ Reply to Thread