User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My Email Buddy Says Obama Is Not At Fault

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
    People like you who see the glass as 3/4's empty when, in fact, it is half full for starters.

I did comment, Chris. The fact I don't agree with you burns inside you, but that's your problem not mine. You want to believe no one can see the future, which is true, but you conclude this means no one should strive to make the future better or have a vision of what the future should be, this is wrong and this is the point I was addressing.
    Now you're imagining an emotional reaction on my part.

You want to believe no one can see the future, which is true
    That's what I said and we agree.

...but you conclude this means no one should strive...
    No where did I conclude that, max, but in your imagination. Why do you have this need to knock the hay out of your made up strawman?

If anything, my message, that we cannot predict the future, runs counter to doomsaying and, based on our past history of creating something new out of the destruction of the old (Schumpeter), gives a message of hope, and trust in my fellow man.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codename Section View Post
    You're trying to turn the Titanic within 20 ft of the iceberg. It would take Hercules and Poseidon tag teaming to do it. Can it get better? Sure with a $#@!ing miracle. Chances are it won't.

And yet we always do turn things around, given the freedom to do so.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codename Section View Post
    You're trying to turn the Titanic within 20 ft of the iceberg. It would take Hercules and Poseidon tag teaming to do it. Can it get better? Sure with a $#@!ing miracle. Chances are it won't.
    Some may see every iceflow as an iceberg. It's a problem of perception as much as intelligence (both IQ and information gathering).

Al Gore's message about Global Warming has many truths. The problem is that he and his followers ran around in hysterics about something that is 50-100 years off. Sure, something that takes 50-100 years to begin will also take 50-100 years to fix, but convincing people of this is like convincing a frog to jump out of a pot of cold water placed on a stove set to slow heat.

While many facts he presented are true, his own hysterics caused problems.

Those who talk about how our nation is going to implode and we'll all break down into different warring states are guilty of the same histrionics. Is there a problem? Yes, there is. I recently posted graphics on it here.

We're not 20' from an iceberg, but we are certainly headed full speed toward an area of icebergs. As the budget debates of the past few years have shown, many are concerned about the situation. The arguments, and solutions, vary, but all agree we can't keep steaming at flank speed into the iceberg field.

I have full confidence that those who have the most to lose, the infamous 1%, will act out of self-interest and push effective solutions. What those solutions eventually become I don't know. To me the obvious solutions are to 1) cut spending and 2) raise taxes. Specifically on the super rich. Raise them back to Clinton levels since it was the Bush tax cuts (and a trillion $#@!ing dollars wasted in Iraq) that seemed to turn our surplus into a deficit.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,769
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mainecoons's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,437x in 4,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those who talk about how our nation is going to implode and we'll all break down into different warring states are guilty of the same histrionics. Is there a problem? Yes, there is. I recently posted graphics on it here.

Sans the warring part, I'm curious as to why you view the breakup of a badly divided, failing country as impossible. However, I suspect many Soviets probably held the same view about their nation. However, once again history shows us that breakups of nations that are failing when under one government are hardly impossible.
    “Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.”. Henry Ford

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
    Sans the warring part, I'm curious as to why you view the breakup of a badly divided, failing country as impossible. However, I suspect many Soviets probably held the same view about their nation. However, once again history shows us that breakups of nations that are failing when under one government are hardly impossible.[/COLOR]
    For starters, we aren't the Soviet Union. Their nation is held together with force. Despite the histrionics in some corners, ours is not.

When Rick Perry was talking secession, it was political rhetoric. Rebel rousing, yes, but still hot air. We succeed greater as a whole nation than as a fragmented group of smaller nations. Most people, especially business owners can see this. Do we really want tariffs and trade treaties crossing three or four "nations" to get avacadoes from California to New York? Do we really want civil war between the California and the Southwest over water rights?

People complain. That's a common human quality. Many people, especially political and business leaders, understand what is merely $#@!ing and what is realistically likely.

Nothing is impossible, but to see the US fragment into a handful of smaller nations is highly unlikely. Too much money to be made sticking together.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
    Sans the warring part, I'm curious as to why you view the breakup of a badly divided, failing country as impossible. However, I suspect many Soviets probably held the same view about their nation. However, once again history shows us that breakups of nations that are failing when under one government are hardly impossible.[/COLOR]

That I have less problem agreeing with, as Alex Tytler supposedly said, "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury...." That failure though I see as a good thing.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 872
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Heyduke's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 574x in 403 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Industrial Revolution replaced craftsmen. The steam engine replaced John Henry. The digital revolution replaced manufacturing. Maybe bio-engineering and man-machine-drug hybridization is the next thing.

Consumer technology is in a holding pattern for the near future. Smartphones have an app for everything, so they say. The smartphone is like an external memory storage device, and the tech equivalent of a Swiss Army knife, and it does a great job of spying on you by government front organizations like Apple and Google. Apple stock was down big yesterday, and the complaint was a lack of innovation, other than offering new colors.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyduke For This Useful Post:

Chris (01-30-2014)

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 872
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Heyduke's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 574x in 403 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My prediction: Deep within the underground floors of Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California, a secret is carefully guarded. They have frozen the brain of Steve Jobs. When they get the singularity technology developed, they will regrow his body and regenerate his skin, and resurrect him as an undead techno-lich. They will march him onstage with the black T-shirt and the pre-washed jeans and his gigantic ugly alien head broadcast on the screen behind him. Everyone will pre-order the new Apple iBrain neural graft chip.

But, the thing will be buggy and create a limited zombie apocalypse, infecting Obama. Additionally,
    Biden and Pelosi will die from tainted Botox poisoning, and John Boehner will become president. The stress of the job drives Boehner to drinking a 5th of bourbon every morning, noon and evening, and he eventually says, "$#@! it, man" and institutes the gold standard. With no more fiat money to bail out State governments, all the cops and teachers walk off the job for lack of payment. The kids roam the streets and criminals run rampant and the country is thrust into a Thunderdome of Darwinian cometition for survival.

A hurricane decapitates hundreds of deep sea oil rigs in the Gulf. Boehner and the new Republican majority decide to send down submarines to nuke the wells. The effort fails to seal the wells. Instead, the tectonic plates at the sea floor are weakened and a 10 point earthquake and ensuing tidal wave push radioactive oil all the way up the Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio Rivers. Millions of Midwestern hicks flee to the Rocky Mountains where they perish for lack of Cheez-Wizz, chicken nuggets and Wonder Bread. A plague is born from their rotting bodies, which is carried all the way down the Colorado River to the West Coast where it infects California, Oregon and Washington State.

Meanwhile, New Iran (formerly the UK), New Iraq (formerly France) and New Egypt (formerly the Federal Republic of Germany) attack the East Coast of the USA, aided by the frenzied warriors of the nation of Dirkadirkadirkistan.

The collapsing power grid creates a massive power surge which is funneled toward the Hadron Collider, which unfortunately is outfitted with a Haliburton surge protector, and a terawatt of energy lights up the Hadron Collider, creating a black hole. The earth, sun, moon, galaxy and all parallel galaxies are sucked into this massive black hole. Instantly, space and time cease to exist, and therefore, you and I and nothing else ever really existed. But, since in that instant, time itself was stopped, we all suffer an eternal torture of burning oil and crushing gravity as our faces are slowly smothered into the armpits of our neighbors.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In another thread it's reported "employment in solar jobs grew 10 times faster than the average national employment rate of 1.9%."

In the climate change debate I'm a skeptic especially when it comes to what we can to to stop effects we've contributed to since at least the Industrial Age, so turn to those who advice we work on doing what we can to reduce those effects with alternative energy sources, but also to adapt to the changes in climate that may well be coming. Both efforts ought to bring on new jobs.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyduke View Post
    The Industrial Revolution replaced craftsmen. The steam engine replaced John Henry. The digital revolution replaced manufacturing. Maybe bio-engineering and man-machine-drug hybridization is the next thing.

Consumer technology is in a holding pattern for the near future. Smartphones have an app for everything, so they say. The smartphone is like an external memory storage device, and the tech equivalent of a Swiss Army knife, and it does a great job of spying on you by government front organizations like Apple and Google. Apple stock was down big yesterday, and the complaint was a lack of innovation, other than offering new colors.
    We never would have gotten to the Moon with "craftsmen".

The government spying thing will be rectified.

As for Apple and Google spying, young kids today will eventually learn TANSTAAFL.

"Free" apps, email and other services aren't provided because Apple and Google are just really, really nice people. More people would realize that if they spent more time actually reading and understanding the TOS agreements rather than just quickly clicking "I accept" and rushing to upload all of their family photos and personal biography online for the world to see how cool they are.

Personally, I don't give a $#@! if Apple and Google know my favorite password is admin1234 (just kidding), that I like shopping on Craigslist and have a healthy appreciation for mature women with mom boobs.

I have a greater concern about idiots who want to chip away at the Constitution because they are afraid of guns and think I should be too or because they think two people of the same gender or different sex, race or religion don't deserve the same rights as everyone else.

+ Reply to Thread