User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Economics is Fun, Part 11: Competition

  1. #11

    tPF Moderator
    Original Ranter
    V.I.P
    Points: 221,701, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Peter1469's Avatar Moderator Representative
    Karma
    49633
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    47,435
    Points
    221,701
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    20,625
    Thanked 15,106x in 11,035 Posts
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Traditionally natural resources like rivers, air, fisheries, etc are held to be shared as the commons. Tragedy of the commons problems like you two are discussing are sometimes worked out by people, in the free market simply by recognizing the need to cooperate as much as compete, and sometimes not worked out, and government can be a cause of such problems.
    My favorite example is the levy system for a town in a flood plain. A free market likely wouldn't protect the entire town. Just the really important parts of that. Which is OK, if you are part of that important part.

  2. #12
    Points: 4,315, Level: 15
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Stoney's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    152
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Traveling
    Posts
    565
    Points
    4,315
    Level
    15
    Thanks Given
    55
    Thanked 135x in 104 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    4
    Levies and flood dams have not prevented flooding or flood damage. They just provide the perception to some that they are protected and maybe a reason to pay for the losses. The free market wouldn't have people building homes where tax payers are sure to have to pick up the tab for the losses.
    "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner."

    "The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable."

    H. L. Mencken

  3. #13
    Points: 4,782, Level: 16
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    RollingWave's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    467
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    841
    Points
    4,782
    Level
    16
    Thanks Given
    50
    Thanked 285x in 220 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Levies and flood dams have not prevented flooding or flood damage. They just provide the perception to some that they are protected and maybe a reason to pay for the losses. The free market wouldn't have people building homes where tax payers are sure to have to pick up the tab for the losses.
    Ok, that is just not true, go back and read some history, it use to be everyyear that hundreds if not thousands of folks die to flooding a year in almost ANY country , and if we're talking about China, then it's usually in the upper thousands. and back then population concentration was much lower, if we use a more recent example, when the Nationalist army blew up the Yellow River dams in WW2 to try to stop the Japanese advances, it reported killed something in the range of 800 thousand people (a number folks often argue to be too low!). aka more than the two nukes dropped on Japan combined..... by about 4 times!!

    Flood prevention is the oldest form of public project in man kind history, you think everyone over the last 6000+ years have been wasting their time on something they don't really need?
    Last edited by RollingWave; 03-07-2012 at 08:06 AM.

  4. #14
    Points: 181,153, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive1 year registered50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    25723
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    53,565
    Points
    181,153
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,896
    Thanked 9,789x in 7,665 Posts
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    My favorite example is the levy system for a town in a flood plain. A free market likely wouldn't protect the entire town. Just the really important parts of that. Which is OK, if you are part of that important part.
    We've argued this before. The initial efforts at building levees were private, free market undertakings.

    Have to agree with Stoney here.

    If people want to risk living along a river known to flood, have at it, but don't expect others to bail you out.

  5. #15
    Original Ranter
    Points: 83,174, Level: 70
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,676
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first Group
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7385
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    22,473
    Points
    83,174
    Level
    70
    Thanks Given
    4,582
    Thanked 2,491x in 2,002 Posts
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We've argued this before. The initial efforts at building levees were private, free market undertakings.

    Have to agree with Stoney here.

    If people want to risk living along a river known to flood, have at it, but don't expect others to bail you out.
    The thing is there are risks everywhere. Can't build in the Midwest - tornados. Southeast? Hurricanes. California? Wildfires and earthquakes. These regions all contribute to the tax base so when occasional disasters happen how are they being bailed out by others?

  6. #16
    Original Ranter
    Points: 153,679, Level: 93
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    29684
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,015
    Points
    153,679
    Level
    93
    Thanks Given
    6,079
    Thanked 7,914x in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    Ok, that is just not true, go back and read some history, it use to be everyyear that hundreds if not thousands of folks die to flooding a year in almost ANY country , and if we're talking about China, then it's usually in the upper thousands. and back then population concentration was much lower, if we use a more recent example, when the Nationalist army blew up the Yellow River dams in WW2 to try to stop the Japanese advances, it reported killed something in the range of 800 thousand people (a number folks often argue to be too low!). aka more than the two nukes dropped on Japan combined..... by about 4 times!!

    Flood prevention is the oldest form of public project in man kind history, you think everyone over the last 6000+ years have been wasting their time on something they don't really need?
    Humans have settled along rivers from time immemorial. I agree with what you've said.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  7. #17
    Points: 181,153, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive1 year registered50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    25723
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    53,565
    Points
    181,153
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,896
    Thanked 9,789x in 7,665 Posts
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    313
    Along rivers, yes, in flood zones? Flood zones make good farming land.

  8. #18
    Points: 181,153, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive1 year registered50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    25723
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    53,565
    Points
    181,153
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,896
    Thanked 9,789x in 7,665 Posts
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    The thing is there are risks everywhere. Can't build in the Midwest - tornados. Southeast? Hurricanes. California? Wildfires and earthquakes. These regions all contribute to the tax base so when occasional disasters happen how are they being bailed out by others?
    By the feds or states declaring disasters and legislating relief.

  9. #19

    tPF Moderator
    Original Ranter
    V.I.P
    Points: 221,701, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Peter1469's Avatar Moderator Representative
    Karma
    49633
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    47,435
    Points
    221,701
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    20,625
    Thanked 15,106x in 11,035 Posts
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We've argued this before. The initial efforts at building levees were private, free market undertakings.

    Have to agree with Stoney here.

    If people want to risk living along a river known to flood, have at it, but don't expect others to bail you out.
    The free market did not erect a levy system along the entire length of the Mississippi River. Without that system much of the most profitable farmland in the nation would be piratically unusable at least part of the year and a bad snow melt could cripple farmland for years; unless you wanted to grow rice....

  10. #20
    Points: 4,315, Level: 15
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Stoney's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    152
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Traveling
    Posts
    565
    Points
    4,315
    Level
    15
    Thanks Given
    55
    Thanked 135x in 104 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    4
    This is what I posted above.

    "Levies and flood dams have not prevented flooding or flood damage. They just provide the perception to some that they are protected and maybe a reason to pay for the losses. The free market wouldn't have people building homes where tax payers are sure to have to pick up the tab for the losses."

    Two posters have suggested those words aren't true. But they absolutely are. Do I have to show evidence of the floods that happened last year, or the year before, or the year before that. I've been going to Grenada Lake, a flood control lake off the Mississippi River near Grenada, Mississippi for 40 years and have watched some flooding in that town almost every one of those years.

    Government providing levees that prevented flooding might be a good thing. But when they don't prevent floods they provides us with an obligation to pay for the damage caused. If levees are what's needed for entrepreneurs to profit from the "delta" of the Mississippi then they'd figure it out, or a better solution.
    "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner."

    "The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable."

    H. L. Mencken

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Forum Topsite Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO