User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Look: The FDA's Nutrition Label Gets A Makeover

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

First Look: The FDA's Nutrition Label Gets A Makeover

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...ets-a-makeover

Ready for a reality check about how many calories you're eating or drinking? The proposed new nutrition facts panel may help.

The Obama administration Thursday released its proposed tweaks to the iconic black and white panel that we're all accustomed to seeing on food packages.

The most visible change is that calorie counts are bigger and bolder — to give them greater emphasis.

In addition, serving sizes start to reflect the way most of us really eat. Take, for example, ice cream. The current serving size is a half cup. But who eats that little?
    my junk is ugly

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,556x in 94,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you aren't counting your calories, and you care about losing or gaining weight, you are guessing.

I hope the print on the labels is large enough to read....
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not a huge change and I dont see the purpose of it myself. The only thing that may be useful is the increased portion size, but who eats just a 1/3 cup of icecream. A cone is bigger than that isnt it

I believe samsclub had a cheesecake at one time, the calories on it were 260 per slice, thing was there were 16 slices in a relatively small cheesecake, eating one portion would just piss you off

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that its a good idea but will be useless to combat fat. She's kidding herself if she thinks non-health conscious people are looking at the labels. It's people like me that do and I wouldn't be shoveling ice cream in my mouth anyway.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Codename Section For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-28-2014)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codename Section View Post
    I think that its a good idea but will be useless to combat fat. She's kidding herself if she thinks non-health conscious people are looking at the labels. It's people like me that do and I wouldn't be shoveling ice cream in my mouth anyway.
    There ya go, obese people and bad eaters couldnt care less what labels say. Its the "HEALTHY" that read labels and watch what they buy and eat.

I had a cousin that was been obese her entire life and she did it ALL over many years. Every diet, hypnotist, medical fasting, been to hospitals, been in numerous programs. Lastly she got her stomach surgically reduced, this was before the most recent procedures, lap band etc. This was one of the first. That didnt work for her she OVERATE and stuffed herself and had to have surgery again.

That proved to me that its all psychological, overactive thyroid nonesense and its in your dna and its hereditary I dont believe it.
    She overate no matter what and it was in her head not her stomach. She ate and she wasnt one bit hungry she couldnt be hungry. Food replaced something lacking in her psyche. Poor woman died young and had a very unhappy life.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,013
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Paperback Writer's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,892x in 1,958 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codename Section View Post
    The big problem I see is your love of cars in the US. People don't walk places anymore. Your suburban culture is all about driving, not biking, not walking, not hiking.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A colleague of mine got one of these procedures done. Prior to it I was trying to talk him out of it. He showed me the post-surgery instructions about eating and exercising. I told him that he should skip the surgery and just follow those instructions. He has lost a lot of weight, but not as much as he wanted. And his diet is extremely limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    There ya go, obese people and bad eaters couldnt care less what labels say. Its the "HEALTHY" that read labels and watch what they buy and eat.

I had a cousin that was been obese her entire life and she did it ALL over many years. Every diet, hypnotist, medical fasting, been to hospitals, been in numerous programs. Lastly she got her stomach surgically reduced, this was before the most recent procedures, lap band etc. This was one of the first. That didnt work for her she OVERATE and stuffed herself and had to have surgery again.

That proved to me that its all psychological, overactive thyroid nonesense and its in your dna and its hereditary I dont believe it.
    She overate no matter what and it was in her head not her stomach. She ate and she wasnt one bit hungry she couldnt be hungry. Food replaced something lacking in her psyche. Poor woman died young and had a very unhappy life.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    The big problem I see is your love of cars in the US. People don't walk places anymore. Your suburban culture is all about driving, not biking, not walking, not hiking.
    That is a big problem for the US, caused by our size and suburban culture. I actually live in a place that ranks 100% on the walkability scale.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Polecat's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,009x in 2,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that I noticed with labeling was the marketing goons getting involved. You take the same old crap product that's been on the shelf for decades and boost sales to a more health conscious public by reducing the portion size on the label and reducing the calories and VIOLA! You have healthy choice! The whole notion of portion size is absurd in the first place. Truth in labeling as well as advertising is a dead duck and it will take a lot more than this silly label change to correct that.
    My beliefs are a distillation of what I was taught as a child and what I observe as an adult.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post

Overeating is a compulsive disorder not unlike alcoholism or drug addiction. There may be an insignificant few who bloat up because of medication but in every other case of being overweight its simply a factor of putting too much into your mouth. You cannot eat an entire chocolate cake simply because you are hungry.

All the diets in the world will do no good until the person is ready to address the underlying cause of their food addiction.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-03-2014)

+ Reply to Thread