Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Dogs are not actually stupid. They are pretty bright for the most part. Depending on the breed they are more and less attuned to human emotions. The more domesticated breeds watch your eyes and your face all the time. They get their cues from where you are looking - so if you want them to do something they follow the direction of your gaze. This is an ability that is unique to dogs developed over millennia. They are really funny. They love to "work" with people, especially hunting, but even if you are digging they will try to help. For dogs, play and work are the same thing. They hitched their cart to humanity thousands of years ago - it's why they are considered man's best friend. If you died in your house, your dog would starve for a very long time before he resorted to eating you out of desperation. A cat would start eating you the minute it realized you were dead.
    While their are certain breeds of dogs that are pretty dumb, some breeds are extremely intelligent. My husky has average obedience intelligence, but her critical thinking and problem solving skills are phenomenal, as is her memory, ability to understand words and their meanings, etc.

The intellect of dogs is highly underrated.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Germanicus (03-15-2014)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    I also like that cats are clean.

Dogs are filthy. They make me think of germs. Im kinda with the Iranians really. No dogs. I dont care how nice they are. And I thik that a cat would beat a dog in a game of chess. Dont you? Like they mat not be completely stupid but they dont really impress me all that much.
    The breed of dog that I have are very clean - much like cats, except they don't use litter boxes and track feces all over your house. The Shiba hates being dirty and will not willingly step in mud puddles. If they do, they spend a lot of time cleaning all of the dirty bits. They also never stink. They also don't over eat, assuming you feed them proper food. I only feed raw meat and bits and pieces of other things to round out the diet. Kuma is now 12 and has the body of a one year old. He doesn't mooch food and doesn't steal food even if it's right in front of his face. And, unlike cats he doesn't destroy furniture. In fact he has one chair that he is allowed to lay upon, so distinguished by a soft furry cover and he will not lay or climb upon any other chair or sofa in the house. If you remove the cover, he will not climb on the chair. He learned that before he was one year old without any force. He was simply told no. Try that with a cat. The minute you aren't looking the cat, if it has claws, will go to work on whatever suits his fancy. Cats are also, in the long run, more expensive than dogs.

Cats are absolute carnivores. Dogs are more omnivorous, so their diet is not as difficult to maintain. Cats end up with more diseases than dogs, resulting from improper diet, because the pet food industry puts grain and vegetables in cat food. By the time cats are 10 or 12, if fed standard cat food, they start developing diabetes, kidney problems, dental issues and vet care is highly expensive. (Cats have a longer life span than dogs) I know far more people who have spent thousands of dollars on cat illnesses, than people who have spent similar amounts on dogs. Usually with dogs it is the overbred types that have issues and they tend to develop those issues early in life.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Germanicus (03-15-2014)

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Germanicus's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 319x in 264 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you guys vets or something? You need to be some kind of genius to become a vet in Australia. they are twice as smart as a doctor. The smartest girl I ever knew became a vet.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Dogs are not actually stupid. They are pretty bright for the most part. Depending on the breed they are more and less attuned to human emotions. The more domesticated breeds watch your eyes and your face all the time. They get their cues from where you are looking - so if you want them to do something they follow the direction of your gaze. This is an ability that is unique to dogs developed over millennia. They are really funny. They love to "work" with people, especially hunting, but even if you are digging they will try to help. For dogs, play and work are the same thing. They hitched their cart to humanity thousands of years ago - it's why they are considered man's best friend. If you died in your house, your dog would starve for a very long time before he resorted to eating you out of desperation. A cat would start eating you the minute it realized you were dead.

Haha, true. Except a Siamese. They love their owners like a dog. @Alyosha's will ride on her shoulder and follows her everywhere talking to her. It's weird like he's trying to make actual words or something.

I normally hate cats for the reason highlighted above but this cat is cool as $#@!. Her mother raised them and swears they are all like that.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dogs have masters
    Cats have staff

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Codename Section (03-15-2014)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My cat is indeed dog like in that it wants to spend all its time with you, would attack someone that attacked you, and does what you ask it to do.

Scheow is an awesome kitteh.
    And if we should die tonight
    Then we should all die together
    Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    Calling out father, prepare as we will
    Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
    Desolation comes upon the sky..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alyosha For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a cat like that once. Her name was Smudge because coat looked as if she had crawled through a pipe and had smudges of dirt in an otherwise all white coat. She was an excellent cat and would climb on the back of my chair and wedge herself between me and the chair back. She would always bring me presents of baby squirrels, mice and birds. She would hide in the shadows when I put my Jack Russell out and attack her at the most inopportune time for the Jack! I really liked that cat. One day the cat simply disappeared. I always suspected my neighbor of trapping her and taking her off somewhere. The cat almost never ever left our yard and he would trap squirrels and get rid of them. I think it wandered into one of his traps one day and he had her killed. I liked my cat a lot more than I liked him.

The cat and the dog would play chase in the house. I keep a basket on the floor that I put magazines in, the cat would jump into the basket and the dog would just sit and wait for the cat to start running again. It was like the basket was "home base" for the cat!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Matty
    Matty's Avatar Guest
    My sweet little cat came into the bedroom this morning and swatted my orange juice off the bedside table. Smashed the glass and left me a mess to clean up. Today, I like the dog better!

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dogs are better pets, friends IMO. We've had a bunch of cats along the way, they're way, way more independent. Friendly and all that, but dogs are more personable.

Some will disagree, I get that. But I'm more of a dog guy and that's marginal - I love all animals.
    my junk is ugly

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,576x in 94,412 Posts