User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banned again

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 841
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Green Arrow's Avatar Overlord
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,181x in 15,826 Posts
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
    It specifically says "a war engaged in by all or most of the principal nations of the world; especiallycapitalized both Ws: either of two such wars of the first half of the 20th century". Nothing about Korea, Vietnam or Kuwait.

This definition popped up on Google:
    a war involving many large nations in all different parts of the world. The name is commonly given to the wars of 1914–18 and 1939–45, although only the second of these was truly global.
    I quoted the definition almost verbatim. Repeating it does not make it agree with you. The mention of WWI and WWII are as examples, not an exhaustive list, and anyway, common usage (wrongly) does not consider them "world wars."
    "A mature person is one who does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably with the circumstances of life, knowing that in this world no one is all-knowing and therefore all of us need both love and charity."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962), American social activist and First Lady of the United States

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,799x in 2,982 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    I quoted the definition almost verbatim. Repeating it does not make it agree with you.
    Awesome.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 1,361
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
    I have had a posting blocked again by the Political Debate Forum. Since it concerns the possibility however remote of WWIII I reallly would like the chance to put foreard the novel concept ( to an American Audiance ) that:
    (1) The Ukraine was never an independent nation, merely an invention of the Communists who contrary to received Wisdom were in fact initially anti-russian.
    (2)They are in reality South Russians speaking a dialect of Russian and with their culture and religion slightly modified due to Polish occupation.
    (3)Putin must send troops into the Ukraine otherwise the South Russian will for ever lost to the Russian people as a whole and simply absorbed into the ever expanding EU.
    (4) If sanctions are implemented then Russia must start to divert its Oil and Gas supplies to meet the demands of an ever more important Asia.
    (5) If Britain and America intervene militarily it will lead to WWIII

Now you may very well not like what I am saying and strongly disagree with it BUT YOU SHOULD AT LEAST DEBATE IT.
    If not we, as I keep asserting, do not live in a frre society.
    I am sure some may want to reply but to put it simply, I don't know enough about what you are talking about to say pro or con.

If Obama sanctions Russia for what takes place in Crimea Sunday, he is doing wrong. As the Russians keep insisting, each area ought to self decide. This may back fire on them should some parts of Russia bail out, such as Siberia.

I don't see Putin invading Ukraine. A mistake where he go that far. I could be wrong, but I think some high mountains divides Ukraine from Russia.

WW3, I doubt that very much. Not saying it can't happen, but just that I doubt it.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 1,361
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The World Wars of the Twentieth century were global because of the vast colonies of the European belligerents. We will probably never see anything like it again.
    There should be no dispute that both wars were created in Europe and later on the USA got involved, as is the case with many other nations that had not been involved.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 79,303x in 53,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    2234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I am sure some may want to reply but to put it simply, I don't know enough about what you are talking about to say pro or con.

If Obama sanctions Russia for what takes place in Crimea Sunday, he is doing wrong. As the Russians keep insisting, each area ought to self decide. This may back fire on them should some parts of Russia bail out, such as Siberia.

I don't see Putin invading Ukraine. A mistake where he go that far. I could be wrong, but I think some high mountains divides Ukraine from Russia.

WW3, I doubt that very much. Not saying it can't happen, but just that I doubt it.
    There are no high mountains separating Ukraine from Russia. The area is part of the European Plain. It is a natural invasion route and has been used as such for centuries. Russia wants (feels they need) Ukraine in their camp, or at least neutral to act as a buffer against invasion from the West. Their history speaks louder to them than current day realities.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,263
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    KC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,038x in 2,810 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    There should be no dispute that both wars were created in Europe and later on the USA got involved, as is the case with many other nations that had not been involved.
    No dispute here, although a major incentive to joining the war effort was the possibility of gaining colonial territories.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    There are no high mountains separating Ukraine from Russia. The area is part of the European Plain. It is a natural invasion route and has been used as such for centuries. Russia wants (feels they need) Ukraine in their camp, or at least neutral to act as a buffer against invasion from the West. Their history speaks louder to them than current day realities.
    While that is true, national paranoia doesn't justify invading another country and subjugating their people.

Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While that is true, national paranoia doesn't justify invading another country and subjugating their people.
    Russia is subjugating the people of Crimea? How so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mature person is one who does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably with the circumstances of life, knowing that in this world no one is all-knowing and therefore all of us need both love and charity."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962), American social activist and First Lady of the United States

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle17357913/
    As the international crisis over Crimea’s status escalates, the fate of the Crimean Tatars has been nearly absent from the discussion. The West has essentially accepted a manipulation of history: According to the Russian narrative, Crimea is a traditional Russian territory with an overwhelming Russian population, whimsically transferred to Ukraine by Nikita Khrushchev in 1954. To accept this version is to negate the histories of non-Russian peoples, above all Crimean Tatars, and tacitly sanction Russian aggression, which may lead to consequences beyond Ukraine’s borders.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...on-104695.html
    Russian forces backed by helicopter gunships and armored vehicles Saturday took control of a village near the border with Crimea on the eve of a referendum on whether the region should seek annexation by Moscow, Ukrainian officials said.

The action in Strilkove appeared to be the first move outside Crimea, where Russian forces have been in effective control since late last month. There were no reports of gunfire or injuries. The incident raises tensions already at a high level before Sunday's referendum.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle17357913/
    As the international crisis over Crimea’s status escalates, the fate of the Crimean Tatars has been nearly absent from the discussion. The West has essentially accepted a manipulation of history: According to the Russian narrative, Crimea is a traditional Russian territory with an overwhelming Russian population, whimsically transferred to Ukraine by Nikita Khrushchev in 1954. To accept this version is to negate the histories of non-Russian peoples, above all Crimean Tatars, and tacitly sanction Russian aggression, which may lead to consequences beyond Ukraine’s borders.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...on-104695.html
    Russian forces backed by helicopter gunships and armored vehicles Saturday took control of a village near the border with Crimea on the eve of a referendum on whether the region should seek annexation by Moscow, Ukrainian officials said.

The action in Strilkove appeared to be the first move outside Crimea, where Russian forces have been in effective control since late last month. There were no reports of gunfire or injuries. The incident raises tensions already at a high level before Sunday's referendum.

Nice article, but it doesn't answer my question. How is Russia, as in, 2014 Putin, oppressing the people of the Crimea this year?

+ Reply to Thread