Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 985x in 748 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
    Made in England, beautifully presented in easily digested pieces and simply a superior product; a little like one’s self.

Attachment 6878
    There's a little store here that sells all kinds of English food imports and other Brit stuff. Got a beautiful Wales sports jersey there.

I bought the BEST potato chips I've ever eaten [called 'crisps' in Ye Olde Countrie'] there, made with Guiness beer, by Burt's.

Also curry chips, Chocolate Flake, Marmite, Twigs...all good $#@!!

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,711
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Refugee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    There's a little store here that sells all kinds of English food imports and other Brit stuff. Got a beautiful Wales sports jersey there.

I bought the BEST potato chips I've ever eaten [called 'crisps' in Ye Olde Countrie'] there, made with Guiness beer, by Burt's.

Also curry chips, Chocolate Flake, Marmite, Twigs...all good $#@!!
    You are indeed blessed to have such nectar at your disposal.

Our potato crisps are your chips and our chips are your French fries. All a bit complicated.

Marmite; beautiful on bread or hot buttered toast. Did you know Marmite was sent to POW’s in WW2 and kept them alive? Never heard of Burt’s crisps though; ‘Kettle’ are the best brand of potato crisps, but ‘Golden wonder’ or ‘Walkers’ are the most popular.

I can get all the above, but the one thing that eludes me throughout Asia is ‘Bovril’. A bit like Marmite, but used as a hot drink. If you ever get the chance try it. A teaspoonful in a cup of boiling hot water, add pepper if you’ve got a cold or flu.

Attachment 6879 Attachment 6880

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Spectre's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 985x in 748 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
    You are indeed blessed to have such nectar at your disposal.

Our potato crisps are your chips and our chips are your French fries. All a bit complicated.

Marmite; beautiful on bread or hot buttered toast. Did you know Marmite was sent to POW’s in WW2 and kept them alive? Never heard of Burt’s crisps though; ‘Kettle’ are the best brand of potato crisps, but ‘Golden wonder’ or ‘Walkers’ are the most popular.

I can get all the above, but the one thing that eludes me throughout Asia is ‘Bovril’. A bit like Marmite, but used as a hot drink. If you ever get the chance try it. A teaspoonful in a cup of boiling hot water, add pepper if you’ve got a cold or flu.

Attachment 6879 Attachment 6880
    To compare, I also bought a bottle of Vegemite from Australia. Virtually the same thing, but apparently, there's a spirited debate between Brits and Aussies over the respective merits of their yeasty substance. It's on the level of Coke vs Pepsi, apparently.

I actually liked it MUCH better than I anticipated! I could get used to this stuff!

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My absolute favorite bar none motorcycle was my 2003 Triumph Bonneville T-100. I had a 1958 BSA Super Rocket that I restored but frankly it was a piece of $#@!. The Bonnie fulfilled my desire to own a Classic British Motorcycle without the Classic British Motorcycle mechanical failures. I rode that thing from Jacksonville Florida to Laconia New Hampshire without the first hiccup I had almost 40,000 miles on it when it was destroyed by a tractor trailer rig. It was a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I recognized him from the board I used to post to Nathan on.

I can't say if I got a good or bad impression. I am open to new chances.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,094
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    sachem's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,876x in 3,229 Posts
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    My absolute favorite bar none motorcycle was my 2003 Triumph Bonneville T-100. I had a 1958 BSA Super Rocket that I restored but frankly it was a piece of $#@!. The Bonnie fulfilled my desire to own a Classic British Motorcycle without the Classic British Motorcycle mechanical failures. I rode that thing from Jacksonville Florida to Laconia New Hampshire without the first hiccup I had almost 40,000 miles on it when it was destroyed by a tractor trailer rig. It was a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
    I remember.
    Not Debatable.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,711
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Refugee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely Bovril; vegemite is well, made from vegetable extract, a copy of beef Bovril. Pepsi for me, I find coke too sugary, only the Pepsi light stuff as well. Saccharin hasn’t been banned outside the U.S.
    A memory of the old days.

Attachment 6882

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem View Post
    I remember.
    It was in 1956 and mom borrowed my new 56 Chevy Bel Aire to take a vacation trip through OK, TX and Ark that I needed something to drive. Mom called a cousin who had a BSA 650. I don't recall what year it was. I picked it up and rode it for the month she was gone.

I knew others who had Triumphs but I never rode one. Guys that had them liked them a lot. The BSA took care of my needs. It never broke down.

I purchased some motorcycles for my then teen daughter. She rode Yamaha, Suziki and Hondas and won races on all of those. Her motorcycle would clean the clock of that BSA I had ridden in the mid 50s. She had dealer sponsorship on Yamaha. I Rode a hog to and back from Yosemite. Darn near became part of the bumper of a car headed my way. I thank that driver who quickly darted to the right, saving my life.

+ Reply to Thread