User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Creationists Hit the Panic Button After Neil DeGrasse Tyson Demolishes Their Myth

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,627
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,042x in 2,810 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    Not all Creationists believe the world is 6,000 years old though. I believe in God and that It created and is all things and I'm fine with this universe being 15 billion years old.
    Partisans paint with broad strokes.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Polecat's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,009x in 2,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is plenty of evidence out there to concoct all sorts of theories but there is not a whole lot of proof. One way or the other. One program I was watching made a declaration that the speed of light is always the same. A different program was talking about how the speed of light has been slowed down in experiments. The vast majority of what we know to be fact is really just hypothesis with a large amount of evidence observed to draw such conclusions but no actual PROOF. It makes sense to keep an open mind in this realm whether you're a hard core scientist or fanatical zealot.

Case in point. Program: Through the Wormhole (with yet another black host) had a physicist in his sports car throwing drinks out the window and describing the velocity of the drink as being the speed of his car + the speed of which he threw the beverage. He went on to explain that shining a spot light from his speeding chariot would not be the speed of light + plus the speed of his car, as the speed of light was carved in stone at 186,000 miles/sec. Fast forward to another episode of the same program and we have astrophysicists describing how they have determined the universe is expanding because of the Doppler shift toward the red in light from just about everything they can see with a telescope. These two "facts" completely contradict each other. Somewhere in there is the truth. Or maybe not. Fascinating all the same.

Darwin was a superb master of observation and his conclusions based on his observations brought about his theory of Evolution. This is another "fact" that has so many contradictions that today's scientist have began bickering over the anomalies. The one that hits home the hardest for me is how the primordial soup gave rise to all life on the planet yet only homo sapiens have achieved language and civilization. This is a statistical turd in the whole idea.

My position is we really don't know $#@!. We like to think we do but its really all nothing more than an educated guess.
    My beliefs are a distillation of what I was taught as a child and what I observe as an adult.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Polecat For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-01-2014)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,249x in 1,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Authoritarian Irrationalism in Both Science and Politics = The Twentieth Century

Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    You're confusing the vast majority of creationists for intelligent people.
    You're confusing Postclassical Nobel Physicists with intelligent people. Heisenberg became a Nazi; how intelligent was that?
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poost Yeeyo Sobahki Yeboot

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    Not all Creationists believe the world is 6,000 years old though. I believe in God and that It created and is all things and I'm fine with this universe being 15 billion years old.
    I'm sure that the universe is also fine with you being 12 years old.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greed Is God

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Thank you. I think this dude assumes a hell of a lot. He thinks that all of us use snakes and magic chants.
    The only religion I know that uses snakes and magic chants is Voodoo Economics.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Contrails's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 116x in 100 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Darwin was a superb master of observation and his conclusions based on his observations brought about his theory of Evolution. This is another "fact" that has so many contradictions that today's scientist have began bickering over the anomalies. The one that hits home the hardest for me is how the primordial soup gave rise to all life on the planet yet only homo sapiens have achieved language and civilization. This is a statistical turd in the whole idea.
    As with any statistical distribution, something has to be at the extreme end. Evolution took 3.6 billion years to go from a simple single-celled organism to the variety we see today, and yet language as we know it didn't arise in humans until about 2 million years ago. And just because we cannot understand them doesn't mean other animals haven't developed the ability to communicate.
    Education is the process of disillusionment.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Hole in the Head

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    There is plenty of evidence out there to concoct all sorts of theories but there is not a whole lot of proof. One way or the other. One program I was watching made a declaration that the speed of light is always the same. A different program was talking about how the speed of light has been slowed down in experiments. The vast majority of what we know to be fact is really just hypothesis with a large amount of evidence observed to draw such conclusions but no actual PROOF. It makes sense to keep an open mind in this realm whether you're a hard core scientist or fanatical zealot.

Case in point. Program: Through the Wormhole (with yet another black host) had a physicist in his sports car throwing drinks out the window and describing the velocity of the drink as being the speed of his car + the speed of which he threw the beverage. He went on to explain that shining a spot light from his speeding chariot would not be the speed of light + plus the speed of his car, as the speed of light was carved in stone at 186,000 miles/sec. Fast forward to another episode of the same program and we have astrophysicists describing how they have determined the universe is expanding because of the Doppler shift toward the red in light from just about everything they can see with a telescope. These two "facts" completely contradict each other. Somewhere in there is the truth. Or maybe not. Fascinating all the same.

My position is we really don't know $#@!. We like to think we do but its really all nothing more than an educated guess.
    Have physicists ever measured the speed of infrared or ultraviolet light? Not to mention the rest of the invisible part of the spectrum. By the way, what prevents light from going faster? What drags on it?

I don't want to go into this with anyone who blindly worships self-appointed scientific authorities, but the speed of light in the underlying fourth spatial dimension covers 6 of our light years a second (c^2). That is because it is one-dimensional and has less to drag on.

I just read that Eddington thought Black Holes were absurd and impossible. While agreeing with the math that led to the conclusion that they existed, he said there must be some unknown factor refuting that. In an explanation they forbid us to make, a revolutionary theory would be that they are volcanos into 4D. The "Big Bang" (another revealingly childish term) was a reverse volcano into our 3D.

+ Reply to Thread