User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Name calling, labels, and what to do about them

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course "racist" is a pejorative, unless you're just identifying a fellow racist or something. If you're asking in terms of "can it be used as an insult", sure it can. Any defining term can, you $#@!.

See what I did there? I think you're a self-admitted $#@!, so was I insulting you or just defining you?

"$#@!" is an insult for the most part, but hey - @Alyosha is a self-admitted $#@! so then again maybe it isn't.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akula View Post
    The hole? If a moderator openly violates TOS rules and gets called on it, you want to send the discussion to the hole?..LMAO..

I see....you don't want to answer...ok..no surprise. None at all..

Suddenly being "on topic" is supremely important..LMFAO...
    Jesus--get down from the cross. You were insulting him at the time and he responded. You have a lot of $#@!ing cheek to call him out for a violation after you provoked it.

Dude, if you are over 18 I will be shocked.
    And if we should die tonight
    Then we should all die together
    Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    Calling out father, prepare as we will
    Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
    Desolation comes upon the sky..

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alyosha For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (05-12-2014),Peter1469 (05-12-2014)

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience Points
    webrockk's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 128x in 83 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As little censorship as possible is the best policy. Let people tell each other exactly who they are....and if who they are is too disrupting to the board...vis, personal insults and purposefully hurtful $#@!-slinging begins every time they log on, apply sanctions. if that doesn't modify their behavior, $#@! can them.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    Jesus--get down from the cross.
    Yeah, it's on fire.

my junk is ugly

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Of course "racist" is a pejorative, unless you're just identifying a fellow racist or something. If you're asking in terms of "can it be used as an insult", sure it can. Any defining term can, you $#@!.

See what I did there? I think you're a self-admitted $#@!, so was I insulting you or just defining you?

"$#@!" is an insult for the most part, but hey - @Alyosha is a self-admitted $#@! so then again maybe it isn't.
    $#@! originated as another word for "whelper". It meant that our use was having children--something women don't embrace wholly these days, but that's another thread.

RuPaul is one of my favorite philosophers. He said, if you've got a problem with a word, you've got bigger problems than that word.

We get offended by words because we believe they are true. Women cry over "fat" because they worry that they are fat. People get upset over stupid if they believe they are stupid.

I know I'm intelligent, so when losers call me "stupid" or "dumb" I just smile because I know it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with them. People can get under my skin, however, by saying things that I feel are true.

Basically, words and what emphasis we place on them are our own responsibility. No one can make you feel like a $#@! or $#@!. Only you can do that.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alyosha For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (05-12-2014),Codename Section (05-12-2014),Cthulhu (05-12-2014),lynn (05-12-2014)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $#@! originated as another word for "whelper". It meant that our use was having children--something women don't embrace wholly these days, but that's another thread.

RuPaul is one of my favorite philosophers. He said, if you've got a problem with a word, you've got bigger problems than that word.

We get offended by words because we believe they are true. Women cry over "fat" because they worry that they are fat. People get upset over stupid if they believe they are stupid.

I know I'm intelligent, so when losers call me "stupid" or "dumb" I just smile because I know it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with them. People can get under my skin, however, by saying things that I feel are true.

Basically, words and what emphasis we place on them are our own responsibility. No one can make you feel like a $#@! or $#@!. Only you can do that.
    ^^This

/endofthread
    my junk is ugly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Codename Section (05-12-2014)

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Alyosha

so even though the word "$#@!" has historical narratives (I think that's the word, I wasn't really paying that much attention) you're ok with people saying it? You don't feel that all women are collectively hurt by use of that term?

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassYour first Group10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Akula's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 786x in 577 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus--get down from the cross. You were insulting him at the time and he responded. You have a lot of $#@!ing cheek to call him out for a violation after you provoked it.
    Do you tell your moderator friends to "get down off the cross" when they warn people for breaking rules? Do you?..LMAO...
    Now you allege that I "provoked" him?...he's not in charge of himself?

See..there's my point..as a moderator one has to be mature enough to follow basic rules he is supposed to be "enforcing".

This is an exact quote from post #160...where I supposedly "insulted"...someone...Where's the "insult" again?

Quote Originally Posted by akula
    Audie Murphy didn't feel the need to remind people every 20 minutes that he was in the service or how tough he was...like some people around here....and he really did kill enemy soldiers...a lot of them. Interesting.

I don't think he even wrote an autobiography, though.
    oorah...and all...

Yes..very "provocative" I can see why he became unhinged now..it all makes perfect sense..LMFAO....damn that audie murphy! damn him to hell for being a great, unassuming, polite, respectful soldier who didn't have ego problems or need to mention his service to the country every 20 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by alyosha
    Dude, if you are over 18 I will be shocked.
    LMAO.."dude".

I'm way past 18..."chick"...

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,587x in 36,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agred on the above points. "Racist" is a catchall perjorative without any clear meaning.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codename Section View Post
    @Alyosha

so even though the word "$#@!" has historical narratives (I think that's the word, I wasn't really paying that much attention) you're ok with people saying it? You don't feel that all women are collectively hurt by use of that term?
    Why should I allow other people to dictate to me how I should feel about a word? I do have my cringe-worthy words. "****" for example, but only in the US where it is used almost violently. When I go to the UK where it is used like "$#@!" I am not bothered.

I don't think that there is some panacea of thought about a word's definition that we can go by. Intentions are also important.

I own "$#@!". I love when someone says I'm a "witch". I feel like in their distress they give me power over them when they have to resort to those words. Now, if someone like @Green Arrow said to me "Rina, you've turned into such a $#@!" then I would take notice and worry about it.

So, its not just the word, but the intention and the speaker that matter.

This is a good thread, actually. Thanks for starting it. Makes me think.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alyosha For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (05-12-2014)

+ Reply to Thread