Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolo802 View Post
    Our dictionary definition and my usage are perfectly congruent. Saying otherwise doesn't make it so. If you want to actually make the point I'd like for you to make it.
    I have several times now. Your understanding of corporatism is poor. The patterns you describe are not corporatist per se. If you can't address the points made above that's fine but I did you favor in breaking the news. Once in a whle you will run into people who know what they're talking about. Try to take advantage of those situations instead of resenting a necessary correction.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    keyser soze's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 54x in 46 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you address the points.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keyser soze View Post
    Then you address the points.
    What points? His points about corporatre greed, profit and so forth? They have nothing to do with corporatism. Seriously, guys, you seem attached to this erroneous concept. Corporatism is not about big business and profit. It describes a system of social interaction.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    What points? His points about corporatre greed, profit and so forth? They have nothing to do with corporatism. Seriously, guys, you seem attached to this erroneous concept. Corporatism is not about big business and profit. It describes a system of social interaction.
    Course they could start a thread on this exact subject that they are talking about. Rather than $#@! on CL's thread.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Course they could start a thread on this exact subject that they are talking about. Rather than $#@! on CL's thread.
    No worries. I'm doing a good deed.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries. I'm doing a good deed.

OH YEAH.....Hows That Working Out For Ya!
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    dsolo802's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 155x in 115 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several times now. Your understanding of corporatism is poor
    That is naked conclusion

The patterns you describe are not corporatist per se.
    I've mentioned one pattern, 1 implicit illustration of corporatists promoting corporatism, 1 explicit illustration of this country's movement towards corporatism, and the logical consequences of that movement.

You've not told me why you think my pattern is not descriptive of corporatism. Or are you changing your statement to mean that I have failed to state a pattern that is uniquely corporatist?

I am happy to restate the definition, pattern mentioned and illustrations to facilitate accurate comparison:
    Definition of CORPORATISM

: the organization of a society into industrial and professional corporations serving as organs of political representation and exercising control over persons and activities within their jurisdiction
    Pattern:
    The re-organization of our society from one where government represents the People, to one where Government, paid off by Big Business, does the bidding of Big Business, and Big Business through its bought and paid for Government exercises dominion and control over every man, woman and child in its jurisdiction, that is, the whole of America.
    An Implicit Illustration of agents of corporatism (Corporatists) (agents promoting movement to the above-stated expression of corporatism):
    Geitner/Summers brokering of top-down "solutions," that bail out Wall Street at tax-payer expense, without guarantees that Wall Street will in turn help main street, leaving Wall Street free to act as marauders again.
    Explicit Illustration of the move to Corporatism, and logical consequence
    In a country where mom and pop shops are a thing of the past, and jobs are overwhelmingly created by ever larger corporations, the promotion of a high rate of joblessness in America through outsourcing of Jobs to communist China, has virtually eliminated every vestige of labor bargaining power, and rendered the American public beholden to corporate America and the Government controlled by it.

Logical consequence of this emerging expression of corporatism. Because the only function of a for-profit corporation is to maximize profits, and our bought-and-paid for government is controlled by mega Corporations and Corporate interests, the quest for maximum corporate profits is now the Nation's exclusive mission, taking priority over people and every other value we hold dear, relegating the People, to second class citizenship behind the corporate shareholder.
    If you can't address the points
    You have stated conclusions. I can address your points once you actually make them. see above.

made above that's fine but I did you favor in breaking the news. Once in a whle you will run into people who know what they're talking about. Try to take advantage of those situations instead of resenting a necessary correction.
    I don't resent being corrected. I have presented you with a dictionary definition that is fully congruent with my usage of it. I'm waiting for you to clarify your assertion that my usage is inappropriate. If you would be so kind.

I would take issue with your characterization of the "correction" as "necessary". You have an ample description of the dynamic I'm talking about. Rather than focus on the substance of what I'm saying you are fixated on the word used to describe it.

I'm certain we all want to be helpful to each other, but I'm left to wonder why you can't simply tell me why you say my usage and the dictionary definition I have provided are in any way misaligned.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sigh...

The re-organization of our society from one where government represents the People, to one where Government, paid off by Big Business, does the bidding of Big Business, and Big Business through its bought and paid for Government exercises dominion and control over every man, woman and child in its jurisdiction, that is, the whole of America.
    That is not corporatism. You really are having trouble with this. Plutocracy? Maybe. Oligarchy? Maybe. Corporate society? No.

Geitner/Summers brokering of top-down "solutions," that bail out Wall Street at tax-payer expense, without guarantees that Wall Street will in turn help main street, leaving Wall Street free to act as marauders again.
    That is not corporatism. The influence of big business on government is not corporatism.

In a country where mom and pop shops are a thing of the past, and jobs are overwhelmingly created by ever larger corporations, the promotion of a high rate of joblessness in America through outsourcing of Jobs to communist China, has virtually eliminated every vestige of labor bargaining power, and rendered the American public beholden to corporate America and the Government controlled by it.
    As I said earlier, outsourcing would be alien to a corporate society. You seem stuck on this notion that the power of big business equals corporatism. It equals corporatism as much as it does fascism (i.e. not at all).

Please try and focus. The power of big business and the quest for profit are not part and parcel of a corporatist society. Corporatism is a pattern of social interaction. You're simply mistaken. I'm sorry if you spent a lot of time on this post but you're still deeply confused.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    dsolo802's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 155x in 115 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh. . .

Corporate control of persons in its "jurisdiction".

There could be a thousand and one different expressions of this basic dynamic, and they would all be corporatism - and people promoting those expressions would all be corporatist.

The consequences of a particular dynamic are NOT being offered as an essential element of corporatism as such.

If it is not that, what is it? Time to come across with the goods.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsolo802 For This Useful Post:

keyser soze (04-03-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolo802 View Post
    Sigh. . .

Corporate control of persons in its "jurisdiction".

There could be a thousand and one different expressions of this basic dynamic, and they would all be corporatism - and people promoting those expressions would all be corporatist.

The consequences of a particular dynamic are NOT being offered as an essential element of corporatism as such.

If it is not that, what is it? Time to come across with the goods.
    Again, you really need to sever your conception of corporatism from what you think is the undue influence of big business on government. They are not the same thing. Such influence on government is no more an expression of corporatism than Beef Wellington is a type of pasta dish. Do you really not understand that? Is it just the name that throws you off? Does it make you think of large multi-national firms? It shouldn't.

The influence of big business on government is not corporatism. Perhaps you mean something like corporatocracy? In a corporatist society, the corporation (not necessarily any sort of business enterprise) is the fundamental unit of society. It is in the group or the collective from where dignity, identity, and rights are derived. The nobility, serfs, guilds etc. represented corporate groups in Medieval Europe, for example. Throughout most if not all of the modern west the individual is the basic unit of society. That hasn't changed and likely won't minus a great cultural and intellectual upheaval.

Edit: Let me put it this way: corporatism is a culture. It's a tradition. It's a way of life.
    Last edited by Mister D; 04-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MMC (04-03-2012),ramone (04-03-2012)

+ Reply to Thread