User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 199

Thread: For Those That Are Interested in Discussion

  1. #11
    Points: 5,032, Level: 16
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First Class3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    ramone's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    191
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Points
    5,032
    Level
    16
    Thanks Given
    142
    Thanked 181x in 163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by keyser soze View Post
    Well...one board I was a member of had a thread that was separated from the others and not open to anyone but members. When someone got into a slug fest, which happens, they were invited to go there and have at it. It solved some problems by allowing other threads to avoid the pollution...otherwise there's always ignore. I haven't been at this near as long as many but some people just can't help themselves or refuse, and in that case ignore shortens the page nicely....
    I've seen that tried and failed, in the end posts will get deleted or moved entirely to a certain thread. Never to be seen again, heavy handed moderation will fail in the end. Some back and forth is good, problem arises when you have people who have nothing to say interjecting nonsense into a thread. If you can't back it up, don't post it, and if you are wrong admit it. it's a simple concept.

    Over thinking small problems and making a big stink about it leads to bigger problems. I've been a mod for years on a forum with around 5 thousand members. Stick to the basic rules and let people come and go as they please.
    Last edited by ramone; 04-02-2012 at 04:48 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to ramone For This Useful Post:

    MMC (04-02-2012)

  3. #12
    Points: 4,615, Level: 16
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    dsolo802's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    195
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    965
    Points
    4,615
    Level
    16
    Thanks Given
    79
    Thanked 155x in 115 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    4
    Three related things come to mind:
    • Attack the issues / points of view hard, but not the people, their intelligence or their perceived affiliations
    • Resist the temptation to argue the "other side's" position ("Your problem is you think/feel, etc. . .")
    • Avoid argument by label. Neither Conservatives nor Liberals think, act, do anything all the same. Argument by label is lazy, always obscures and never illuminates
    To amplify on Mister D's simple request, this would be my description of being "reasonable."

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsolo802 For This Useful Post:

    Conley (04-02-2012),keyser soze (04-02-2012)

  5. #13
    Original Ranter
    Points: 82,214, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    MMC's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    2529
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    22,709
    Points
    82,214
    Level
    69
    Thanks Given
    3,227
    Thanked 1,663x in 1,466 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolo802 View Post
    Three related things come to mind:
    • Attack the issues / points of view hard, but not the people, their intelligence or their perceived affiliations
    • Resist the temptation to argue the "other side's" position ("Your problem is you think/feel, etc. . .")
    • Avoid argument by label. Neither Conservatives nor Liberals think, act, do anything all the same. Argument by label is lazy, always obscures and never illuminates
    To amplify on Mister D's simple request, this would be my description of being "reasonable."

    While that is sound DS.....how come none of it worked for your friends before they got here. Moreover I have not seen you step in to simmer your friends down when they get out of pocket. I asked you a about a constituional monarchy. And you end your reply with would they impeach Obama. When Obama was not part of the convo. So maybe I misuderstood why you would throw Obama out there to a point where he was not in the mix.

    Are we suppose to ignore statements like Obama's cabinent is full of conservatives? Or that no matter what report or sources is thrown it can't be believed due to propaganda and false reporting. Or that when your friends jump in and completely ignore what was said and what is being asked. But keep talking about the subject and going on as if it is all true and that point is ignored.

    Also is there some reason why you would point out an Ultimatum about if any of your friends were to be banned? That it would mean all of you would leave even if such was based on your friends own mouth.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

    ramone (04-02-2012)

  7. #14
    Points: 5,032, Level: 16
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First Class3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    ramone's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    191
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Points
    5,032
    Level
    16
    Thanks Given
    142
    Thanked 181x in 163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolo802 View Post
    Three related things come to mind:
    • Attack the issues / points of view hard, but not the people, their intelligence or their perceived affiliations
    • Resist the temptation to argue the "other side's" position ("Your problem is you think/feel, etc. . .")
    • Avoid argument by label. Neither Conservatives nor Liberals think, act, do anything all the same. Argument by label is lazy, always obscures and never illuminates
    To amplify on Mister D's simple request, this would be my description of being "reasonable."
    To think you can separate a liberal from a Nationalist or libertarian isn't a reasonable solution. With that thinking everyone would be the same. Constructive arguments are one thing when supported by some type fact. No fact, no argument. When somebody acts an idiot then they need to be called out on it. It's trollish behavior to make BS posts and ignore any comments that are of value to the thread. i don't mind arguing anything, I do like to have something besides a link to some obscure blog that amounts to opinion of somebody that is unheard of. Same as quoting somebody like Al Sharpton, he is not a credible source. Neither are a bunch of these radio jockeys who are in the opinion trade. If you deal in facts then you should be able to back up your thoughts and prove it. People tend to use bogus unreliable sources as a basis for their thinking, it doesn't work that way.

  8. #15
    Points: 3,152, Level: 13
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    keyser soze's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    65
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    695
    Points
    3,152
    Level
    13
    Thanks Given
    224
    Thanked 54x in 46 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3
    Grrrr...I have a bad habit it seems....

    Alias said:
    Greetings and welcome. I'm familiar with your handle from another forum.
    Thanks for the warm welcome. You're one up on me...I have no idea who you are. :0) Whoever you are it's nice to see you.....

  9. #16
    Dagny
    Dagny's Avatar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    So, what about a different set of standards for different parts of the board? One where the snipers can be happy and one with tighter regulations where others can stick to discussion?

    I realize this problem isn't unique to this site, but many of you have experience with other sites so maybe we can come up with something that has worked elsewhere.
    Yes...I've seen that on other boards. Bottom line....people will either choose to have adult conversation, or they won't. I've been on boards with some of the most vile, racist, kids on the net.

    Everyone has their own reasons for joining a board. After my first post, I was criticized for using 'Old English'. This, by someone who has trouble constructing sentences.

    It doesn't bother me. I can simply scroll past most of the crap I see here. Likewise, they can scroll past my posts if they so choose.

    In the end, we must ask ourselves why we even spend the time/energy? In the years that I've been on boards, I've learned a lot from researching the claims made by those I don't agree with.

    I'm thankful for the intelligent conservatives, as well as the moron conservatives. I'm smarter for having known both.

    My cohorts and I have a variety of issues that we don't agree on. We are able to find common ground when we can, and we have no problem getting into some serious debates when we can't.

    In the end, if we've come away more educated, it was worth the trip.

    Jumping on newbies with the typical childish bull$#@!, isn't going to grow your board. But....not everyone here is concerned with how many people are viewing the ads.

    I'm thinking the owner has more at stake than the staff.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagny For This Useful Post:

    keyser soze (04-02-2012)

  11. #17
    dadakarma
    dadakarma's Avatar Guest
    I'm thinking the owner has more at stake than the staff.
    I imagine you're right about that.

    Earlier, the idea was floated that I ought to be 'tattled on' to ADMIN and maybe speak to other admins from other sites. I invite the scrutiny.

    The idea was floated that my 'senior member' status ought to be changed. Seems that standard needs to be re-written for some reason?

    I eagerly invite the ADMIN of this site to observe each and every one of my posts, compare the number of hits to the site since I and the others I recruited joined here.

    I invite ADMIN to compare the tone of every one of my posts to that of every one else's here and determine if the tone of mine stands out as worse.

    While the ADMIN here relegates moderating powers to the VIPs, he granted me full membership within 75 posts and I reached senior member status sometime afterwards. ADMIN is very gracious for the uptick in activity here.

  12. #18
    Points: 4,615, Level: 16
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    dsolo802's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    195
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    965
    Points
    4,615
    Level
    16
    Thanks Given
    79
    Thanked 155x in 115 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    While that is sound DS.....
    If it is sound, I hope we will can agree to do it.


    how come none of it worked for your friends before they got here.
    We can go back but don't want to. I can ask, like I'm asking here, for everyone to tone down the personal attacks and argument by label, but you can't force people to comply. I went back to the old site yesterday, looked down the list of threads - just the thread names - and found it was nothing but bile.

    Moreover I have not seen you step in to simmer your friends down when they get out of pocket.
    It is not a correct conclusion that we are a collective entity. I don't speak for Dada, or Dagny or any of the other people who are now here and posting. And they do not presume to speak for me. I credit each of the people here as being individuals, with their own thoughts, perspectives, hopes and dreams and do not think for a second that all Conservatives are the same. I don't think you actually believe that Progressive people are all the same either. But I tell you, with no malice intended, if you were to step back and look things that have regularly been said here by the folks with seniority here, you could easily come away believing that was so.

    If you look back you will see I actually have asked all to tone it down - several times.

    I asked you a about a constituional monarchy. And you end your reply with would they impeach Obama. When Obama was not part of the convo. So maybe I misuderstood why you would throw Obama out there to a point where he was not in the mix.
    I had just spent a considerable period of time putting together a post with as much critical thinking and support as I could manage on the Constitutionality of the mandate. I had not, and still have not finished that conversation. And then we had our exchange about constitutional monarchy. As you know, at first I thought you were joking with me, then confessed I didn't understand what a constitutional monarchy was, and promised I would respond and thoughtfully when I had more time to consider your proposal. You said you were cool with that. I'm going to hold you to it. You are misunderstanding my remark about Obama. Can any President get to a Constitutional monarchy in this country? Again, since I still don't fully understand the implications of a Constitutional monarchy I don't claim to know the answer to that question just yet.

    Are we suppose to ignore statements like Obama's cabinent is full of conservatives? Or that no matter what report or sources is thrown it can't be believed due to propaganda and false reporting. Or that when your friends jump in and completely ignore what was said and what is being asked. But keep talking about the subject and going on as if it is all true and that point is ignored.
    People who post to a public board like this one know or should know, folks will be on and off the board. Conversations will take place in fits and starts accordingly. If we are serious minded about these topics of course you should have an answer to your questions. But you may not get them right away - that is how discussions on asynchronous threads go.

    Do you really think, that just because I arrived at this site at roughly the same time as Dagny that I will know the answer to the question you've posed to him?? Mister D has asked that we be reasonable. I see nothing reasonable about this.

    Also is there some reason why you would point out an Ultimatum about if any of your frinds were to be banned?
    I really have no idea to what ultimatum you are referring? My hope and wish is to keep posting with my friends, and hopefully new ones, right here. I'd like to see if we can figure out a way for this to work for everyone. I have issued no ultimatums to anybody.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsolo802 For This Useful Post:

    Conley (04-02-2012),keyser soze (04-02-2012)

  14. #19
    Original Ranter
    Points: 83,174, Level: 70
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,676
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first Group
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7386
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    22,473
    Points
    83,174
    Level
    70
    Thanks Given
    4,582
    Thanked 2,492x in 2,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    99
    Good ideas in here. I'm glad most of us are trying. Another possibility - some kind of conservative zone, another for the liberals, and then an area in the middle where those who are looking for opposing viewpoints can play. I'm beginning to think not everyone wants to hear the other side.
    Last edited by Conley; 04-02-2012 at 06:06 PM.

  15. #20
    Original Ranter
    Points: 82,214, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    MMC's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    2529
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    22,709
    Points
    82,214
    Level
    69
    Thanks Given
    3,227
    Thanked 1,663x in 1,466 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by keyser soze
    It's been noticed....LMAO!! Not unusual behavior for some...similar to beating of chests and peeing on bushes. Thanks for confirmation.

    Yes.....this is how we work it out while we are in here. Such a response to a friend.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Forum Topsite Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO