User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those That Are Interested in Discussion

Dagny
    Dagny's Avatar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dadakarma View Post
    Or HOW they participate. This is written medium. Everyone WRITES their opinions, sourced facts, etc. And all styles differ.
    Good point. Everyone has a specific style. I do notice that the ones who demand citation, are the last to afford one. And when those who refuse to actually READ those written words jump in, it quickly devolves.

Not just on this board...which is the point. We thought we found Shangri La.

We found the same issues here, as we'll find on any other board. It's still WAY better than some we've seen.

They'll either deal with us pissing on their little fantasies, or they won't.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    dsolo802's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 155x in 115 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    To think you can separate a liberal from a Nationalist or libertarian isn't a reasonable solution.
    The notion that anyone needs to put any poster in a box -- any box [liberal, nationalist or libertarian] - is fallacious and unreasonable. Guilt by affiliation is rarely if ever reasonable, and is never reasonable when you are speculating into which group the poster actually falls.

I don't need to have a ready classification for you, Ramone, to respond to the merit of what you have to say. In fact, I actually have no idea where you stand on most issues and wouldn't presume to know based on my speculation of your party or ideological affiliation. I'm willing to hear what you think. If I'm not here to hear from others, my very participation is not reasonable.

With that thinking everyone would be the same. Constructive arguments are one thing when supported by some type fact. No fact, no argument.
    On this board, I'm proposing you just look at the argument, hammer on it, check the underlying assumptions and facts. That is fair and reasonable. I would also think, if an argument is conclusory, based on condemnation by association, or poorly supported you could simply reject it as being unsupported.

When somebody acts an idiot then they need to be called out on it.
    If people make an idiotic argument, you should call them on it: "You're argument is $#@!." On a bulletin board, besides name calling and idiotic arguments what other idiotic acts can there be?

It's trollish behavior to make BS posts and ignore any comments that are of value to the thread.
    We can agree that people should not make BS posts, but you can trust that there will be a lot of good faith disagreement about what is and is not BS. Are you saying I made some BS posts? or that I ignored your comments? other other people? Let me know. I promise to take a second look.

i don't mind arguing anything, I do like to have something besides a link to some obscure blog that amounts to opinion of somebody that is unheard of.
    We are alike that way. I really appreciate it when people work at what they want to say. I love it when people show enough respect to me and my time that they make it worth my while to read their stuff.

But you have to give some leeway. I work ridiculously long hours. I know others do too. Sometimes I have the time to invest a lot of myself, and sometimes not. Only over time can really distinguish the slap dash dabblers from the ones who really care.

Same as quoting somebody like Al Sharpton, he is not a credible source. Neither are a bunch of these radio jockeys who are in the opinion trade. If you deal in facts then you should be able to back up your thoughts and prove it. People tend to use bogus unreliable sources as a basis for their thinking, it doesn't work that way.
    I agree with your thinking, but there is a danger there too.

A sad fact about human nature is most people tend to go to news sources that back their preconceived notions. Generally speaking, not always, Conservatives have their go-to conservative slanted news sources, and Liberals have their Progressive slant news sites. I think you may agree with me, this is a very dangerous trend.

To your point, and to address that danger of "incestuous thinking", I try to go to multiple sources for my news. Today, with everybody speaking half truths, it is the only way to have any shot of capturing the whole enchilada.

Dagny
    Dagny's Avatar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Yes, you've made it very clear how you feel about this forum and its potential, or rather the lack of it.

It's easy to sit back and criticize everything, but much more difficult to find a solution.
    Again, I invite you to read the first thread we found.

You started a thread to toss around ideas. It isn't criticism. It's the truth. My point is that you're looking for the same 'solution' that EVERY board searches for.

The solution is a more diverse set of opinions.

Or a narrower one.

Your choice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dagny For This Useful Post:

dsolo802 (04-02-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagny View Post

You started a thread to toss around ideas. It isn't criticism. It's the truth. My point is that you're looking for the same 'solution' that EVERY board searches for.

The solution is a more diverse set of opinions.

Or a narrower one.

Your choice.
    It's not up to me. As you're fond of pointing out, it's up to the members - one of which is you, I might add. Certainly every board has these kinds of issues, but not every board handles them in the same way. Some are far more successful than others, and I was hoping we could be among them. I'm not looking for some pie-in-the-sky nirvana, just some practical ideas that might help. I don't believe that's too much to ask.

In any event, thanks to all for the ideas.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Conley For This Useful Post:

dsolo802 (04-02-2012)

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ramone's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 181x in 163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagny View Post
    So who would "WE" be? I'm not associated with anybody here except a couple people from a few different forums I've known for a few years.....just saying, you bring a gang here or what?

dadakarma
    dadakarma's Avatar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    It's not up to me. As you're fond of pointing out, it's up to the members - one of which is you, I might add. Certainly every board has these kinds of issues, but not every board handles them in the same way. Some are far more successful than others, and I was hoping we could be among them. I'm not looking for some pie-in-the-sky nirvana, just some practical ideas that might help. I don't believe that's too much to ask.

In any event, thanks to all for the ideas.
    You've been way above and beyond helpful here.

The heat you've witnessed here over the last couple of days is nothing compared to what could be.

And staff members here should never - ever - be instigators in a substantial breakdown in civility. It would be a real plus here if that ceased.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dadakarma For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The heat you've witnessed here over the last couple of days is nothing compared to what could be.

And staff members here should never - ever - be instigators in a substantial breakdown in civility. It would be a real plus here if that ceased.
    The breakdown in civility began when you made obnoxious comments and the one who invited you here ran to your defense.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MMC (04-02-2012),wingrider (04-02-2012)

dadakarma
    dadakarma's Avatar Guest
    For the record: I was the first one here, from the new influx.

dadakarma
    dadakarma's Avatar Guest

Bears repeating. Doesn't matter what a member does. No one *made* certain staff members here melt down and fling feces. They chose to. That choice is 100% theirs.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For the record: I was the first one here, from the new influx.
    Oops. I got you two broads confused. For the record, you circled the wagons when your buddy $#@! the bed. Pardon my French.

+ Reply to Thread