Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Golden Globe Awards - Non-political, if you can manage it

I didn't go to a lot of movies this year, so I saw hardly anything that was nominated. You?

I see that Casey Affleck won Best Actor in a dramatic film, for Manchester By the Sea, which was expected. Even Affleck admitted that the film was sad and depressing, which didn't really rev me up to spend eight dollars to go see it. Viggo Mortensen was nominated for his performance in one of the few movies I did see - Captain Fantastic - but didn't win. Not sure which acting category he was nominated in, but he lost to either Affleck or Ryan Gosling.

The big winner of the night was apparently La-La Land, and I don't think I've spent money to see a musical in this century, so...

I did tune in for a few minutes and saw Matt Damon mention his having won last year, in the Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical category, for The Martian...which fact was, as he put it, "Literally funnier than anything in The Martian".

Also saw Brad Pitt get a huge ovation when he came out to present. Not sure what that was about. Do that many people in the business really dislike Angelina Jolie?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I avoid watching any of these Hollyweird awards shows. Don't get out to the movie theaters much anymore. or see any plays. I use to go with the Ex anytime a Bond Movie came out. She luved those movies.

I did manage to see the Magnificent Seven with Denzel Washington taking on the old Yul Brenner role.

I also finally seen the movie Suicide Squad.

Picked up a firestick.....so I can now see some.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    I avoid watching any of these Hollyweird awards shows. Don't get out to the movie theaters much anymore. or see any plays. I use to go with the Ex anytime a Bond Movie came out. She luved those movies.

I did manage to see the Magnificent Seven with Denzel Washington taking on the old Yul Brenner role.

I also finally seen the movie Suicide Squad.

Picked up a firestick.....so I can now see some.
    I did go see TM7, after first watching the 1960 original, which I realized I'd never seen. I have to say the re-make was nowhere near as good as the Brynner-McQueen version. For Christmas I got a blue-ray of the original film and all three sequels. I'm in a western-watching phase at the moment; wish there were more new ones coming out.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (01-09-2017),MisterVeritis (01-09-2017),MMC (01-09-2017)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I did go see TM7, after first watching the 1960 original, which I realized I'd never seen. I have to say the re-make was nowhere near as good as the Brynner-McQueen version. For Christmas I got a blue-ray of the original film and all three sequels. I'm in a western-watching phase at the moment; wish there were more new ones coming out.
    Quentin Tarantino came out with one.....its called 8 the Hard Way or something like that.

I agree about Brynner and McQueen in the Original. I didn't think George Kennedy in the Guns of the TM7 was as good either. Nor as Good as the new one.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched last night with the sound off. I don't go to the movies but very rarely so I wasn't familiar with any of the films. I can say that I've gone to the movies maybe 2 times in the past 8 or more years and I confess the last one I went to it was only because I had a craving for theater popcorn. I was finished before the movie started and would have left if not for the incredulous look on my husband's face. lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

MMC (01-09-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Quentin Tarantino came out with one.....its called 8 the Hard Way or something like that.
    Haven't watched The Hateful Eight yet, but I probably will eventually - if for no other reason than I really like Kurt Russell and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Quite honestly, I've sort of had my fill of Sam Jackson lately, though. I didn't think he added anything to the Tarzan film that came out this past year; he was mostly just a distraction and the occasional comic relief, and I believe it would have been a better movie without him in it. Tarzan has been one of my favorite characters for more than half a century, so I always look forward to a new film and resent anything or anyone who screws it up.

The main reason I didn't go see The Hateful Eight or Django Unchained, though, is that I've sort of come to despise Tarantino. I sat through the Kill Bill movies on cable and was not impressed in the least. I think he has become about as completely self-indulgent and annoying as it's possible for a film director to be. His obsession with "style" over any other consideration just grates on my senses.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

MMC (01-09-2017)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Haven't watched The Hateful Eight yet, but I probably will eventually - if for no other reason than I really like Kurt Russell and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Quite honestly, I've sort of had my fill of Sam Jackson lately, though. I didn't think he added anything to the Tarzan film that came out this past year; he was mostly just a distraction and the occasional comic relief, and I believe it would have been a better movie without him in it. Tarzan has been one of my favorite characters for more than half a century, so I always look forward to a new film and resent anything or anyone who screws it up.

The main reason I didn't go see The Hateful Eight or Django Unchained, though, is that I've sort of come to despise Tarantino. I sat through the Kill Bill movies on cable and was not impressed in the least. I think he has become about as completely self-indulgent and annoying as it's possible for a film director to be. His obsession with "style" over any other consideration just grates on my senses.
    Don't. It isn't worth it.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Don't. It isn't worth it.
    I won't spend any money on it...but when it eventually hits one of the movie channels, I'll probably TiVo it and give it a shot when nothing else is on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

MMC (01-09-2017)

+ Reply to Thread