User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feminist Freak Out Over Miss Nevada Suggestion Women Learn Self Defense to Avoid Rape

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Mr. Mensch's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 961x in 692 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feminist Freak Out Over Miss Nevada Suggestion Women Learn Self Defense to Avoid Rape

'We shouldn't teach women self-defense so they can avoid being raped, rather we should only teach men it is bad to rape.'
    That's the logic coming from leftist feminists in response to Miss Nevada Nia Sanchez, now Miss USA, suggesting last night that women should learn self-defense in order to prevent or avoid being sexually assaulted. Sanchez is a fourth degree black belt in taekwondo.
    First, Miss Nevada's suggestion during Miss USA last night and after she won the title:
    “I believe that some colleges may potentially be afraid of having a bad reputation and that would be a reason it could be swept under the rug, because they don’t want that to come out into the public,”Nia Sanchez said. “But I think more awareness is very important so women can learn how to protect themselves. Myself, as a fourth-degree black belt, I learned from a young age that you need to be confident and be able to defend yourself. And I think that’s something that we should start to really implement for a lot of women.”

Here's a suggestion: Let's keep teaching everyone that rape is barbaric while also teaching women about self-defense should they find themselves in a bad situation. We can and should do both.

Modern feminism can't survive without victims so naturally, preventing victimhood through self-defense is unacceptable. Telling women they don't need self-defense to prevent rape is exactly what moves "rape-culture" forward.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...fense-n1849213

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Mensch For This Useful Post:

GrassrootsConservative (06-09-2014),Libhater (06-09-2014),Redrose (06-09-2014)

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Mr. Nygma's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 174x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should teach people to value life and respect the rights of others. I also feel as though much of decreasing rape in western nations is showing how to avoid those situations where a female or male is walking alone at night or not putting yourself into situations where people can do harm to you. Unless a female is going to become a Gung Fu master I'm not sure how much self-defense will help her situation since very few rapists are skinny, unmuscular men.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is how it seems to me.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nygma View Post
    We should teach people to value life and respect the rights of others. I also feel as though much of decreasing rape in western nations is showing how to avoid those situations where a female or male is walking alone at night or not putting yourself into situations where people can do harm to you. Unless a female is going to become a Gung Fu master I'm not sure how much self-defense will help her situation since very few rapists are skinny, unmuscular men.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is how it seems to me.

I teach self-defense classes on the side and it is more than possible for a woman to take down a man twice her size if she knows how and where to strike.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Mensch For This Useful Post:

Bob (06-09-2014),sachem (06-09-2014)

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Mr. Nygma's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 174x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mensch View Post
    I teach self-defense classes on the side and it is more than possible for a woman to take down a man twice her size if she knows how and where to strike.
    How much do you charge and how long does it take to learn these things?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She is right. It is important that women everywhere learn self-defense, which is why it's equally important that "society" prioritizes such training highly.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    1751_Texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 319x in 247 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question was rape in college...

It is hard to defend oneself if drunk or druged. The reaction was by women who believe that the "culture of rape" is prevasive on college campuses. That colleges are not addressing the problems fully. That reporting accusations to outside investigators is not happening. That internal investigations maybe more interested in the School's concerns than that of the accusers. Martial arts classes do not address any of these concerns.

It is awesome that Miss Nevada can protect herself and a woman should...but that does not change the mentality of some young men on campus that a drunk girl is fair game. Or that her participating in a sexual act with one...allows all to have a turn.

I truely believe that no woman would begrudge any woman for learning to protect herself...but in the question of addressing rape on campus it might not be the answer. Being able to defend oneself does not address any of the precieved problems of rape on campus.
    Last edited by 1751_Texan; 06-09-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1751_Texan For This Useful Post:

PolWatch (06-09-2014)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nygma View Post
    How much do you charge and how long does it take to learn these things?
    I can teach someone to do this in one lesson if they are attentive, but no more than a couple of lessons is required. The hardest part is for someone to remain focused when they feel they are in danger. Repitition is the key to overcoming hesitation.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1751_Texan View Post
    The question was rape in college...

It is hard to defend oneself if drunk or druged. The reaction was by women who believe that the "culture of rape" is prevasive on college campuses. That colleges are not addressing the problems fully. That reporting accusations to outside investigators is not happening. That internal investigations maybe more interested in the School's concerns than that of the accusers. Martial arts classes do not address any of these concerns.

It is awesome that Miss Nevada can protect herself and a woman should...but that does not change the mentality of some young men on campus that a drunk girl is fair game. Or that her participating in a sexual act with one...allows all to have a turn.

I truely believe that no woman would begrudge any woman for learning to protect herself...but in the question of addressing rape on campus it might not be the answer. Being able to defend oneself does not address any of the precieved problems of rape on campus.
    The best way to deal with a "culture of rape" is to shoot and beat it into submission.

Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (06-12-2014),Mr. Right (06-10-2014),TheInternet (06-09-2014)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 883
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Mr. Freeze's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 672x in 472 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mensch View Post
    I can teach someone to do this in one lesson if they are attentive, but no more than a couple of lessons is required. The hardest part is for someone to remain focused when they feel they are in danger. Repitition is the key to overcoming hesitation.
    I watched an Oprah show years ago with my mother and sister where these instructors spent all day with people getting them ready to defend themselves when mugged and then later they planned fake attacks to see if they retained what was learned. Less than 10% of the class remembered what they learned enough to use it when attacked.

You can't teach self-defense in a few lessons. It has to be so ingrained in their psyche that its instinctual.
    Industry is under attack from a small subversive group of namby-pamby environmentalist weirdos! ~ Sam the Eagle

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Freeze For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (06-12-2014),Mister D (06-09-2014)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washington (AFP) - Women from across the United States battled for the traditional Miss USA crown, and in the end, it was ex-tae kwon do teacher Nia Sanchez of Nevada who took it home.

Asked if she needed any pageant protection, the 24-year-old martial arts champion joked: "I appreciate the security we have. But I feel confident."
    Sanchez so excelled at tae kwan do that she was a teacher as a teenager.

http://news.yahoo.com/miss-usa-marti...040033681.html

You go girl!

+ Reply to Thread