User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where did Thelema really originate? Not with Crowley!

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Frater's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did Thelema really originate? Not with Crowley!

See the quotations from Gargantua and Pantagruel on this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/François_Rabelais

“Man descended from the elemental Forces or Titans [Elohim], who fed on the body of the Pantheistic Deity creating the Universe by self-sacrifice, commemorates in sacramental observance this mysterious passion; and while partaking of the raw flesh of the victim, seems to be invigorated by a fresh draught from the fountain of universal life, to receive a new pledge of regenerated existence. Death is the inseparable antecedent of life; the seed dies in order to produce the plant, and earth itself is rent asunder and dies at the birth of Dionusos. Hence the significancy of the phallus, or of its inoffensive substitute, the obelisk, rising as an emblem of resurrection by the tomb of buried Deity at Lerna or at Sais.” –Albert Pike, Morals & Dogma capt. 24, prince of the tabernacle.

220px-Denslow-little-boy-blue2.jpg

Little Boy Blue (Master Mason),
    Come blow your horn (Obelisk),
    The sheep's in the meadow (The interpretation of the following lines, is under the seal of the obligation of the IX°),
    The cow's in the corn;
    Where is that boy
    Who looks after the sheep?
    Under the haystack
    Fast asleep.
    Will you wake him?
    Oh no, not I,
    For if I do
    He will surely cry.

Attachment 8176

1st Nephi, capt. 8

19 And I beheld a rod of iron, and it extended along the bank of the river, and led to the tree by which I stood. (Revelations 22:2 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month (What has 12 "fruits" a year, once a month?): and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.)

20 And I also beheld a strait and narrow path, which came along by the rod of iron, even to the tree by which I stood; and it also led by the head of the fountain, unto a large and spacious field, as if it had been a world.
    21 And I saw numberless concourses of people, many of whom were pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree by which I stood.
    22 And it came to pass that they did come forth, and commence in the path which led to the tree.
    23 And it came to pass that there arose a mist of darkness; yea, even an exceedingly great mist of darkness, insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they wandered off and were lost.
    24 And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.
    25 And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed.
    26 And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld, on the other side of the river of water, a great and spacious building; and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth.
    27 And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine; and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit.
    28 And after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed, because of those that were scoffing at them; and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost.
    29 And now I, Nephi, do not speak all the words of my father.
    11 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.

Attachment 8177
    L.A.Y.L.A.H.

“Read Judges, Sampson's riddle: "What is sweeter than honey, and
    stronger than a Lion?" Here bees - identical symbolically with the
    Eagle swarm in the carcass of the Lion slain by Sampson. But this
    Lion is our "Serpent" and Sampson our "Red Lion". A strange and

potent sweetness characterizes the Elixir when properly prepared.
    See also Liber 333 Cap. 36; Magick p. 328; St. John's Gospel,
    Chap. 4:13 - 16, 31 - 32; Chap. 6:27 and 48-58; First Corinthians

10:1- 4, 16 - 17, 11:23 - 30. Also Little essays towards truth pp.
    70 - 74.” –Aleister Crowley, Emblems and mode of use.

See the article @ http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Beehive_Symbol posted below, (Note that the beehive is synonymous with the obelisk. One must read this comment with a sense of humor if, if one understands it in the light of all else here, and the symbolism of the sacrament.)

“Nineteenth-century leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints consciously created symbols to buttress their community. The most persistent of these pioneer symbols was the beehive.
    Its origin may relate to the statement in the Book of Mormon that the jaredites carried "with them Deseret, which, by interpretation, is a honey bee" (Ether 2:3). The Deseret News (Oct. 11, 1881) described the symbol of the beehive in this way: "The hive and honey bees form our communal coat of arms…. It is a significant representation of the industry, harmony, order and frugality of the people, and of the sweet results of their toil, union and intelligent cooperation."
    Working together during this early period, individuals contributed specialized talents and skills for building an integrated and well-planned community in a hostile environment. Community, not individuality, created this persistent symbol. The beehive has appeared on public and private Mormon buildings (such as temples, tabernacles, and meetinghouses, Brigham Young's Beehive House, and the mercantile institution ZCMI) as well as in folk art and on furniture.
    Today it appears as a logo of some Church-related organizations, on the seals of the state of Utah and of two universities, on Church Welfare products, and on some commercial signs in Utah. It links the Mormon community across time while symbolizing the Mormon pioneer past.”

Finally, see http://www.parareligion.ch/eucha.htm for an thinly veiled explaination of this symbolism.

After reading everything, it should be readily apparent, that it is an ancient Christian tradition.

Last edited by Frater; 07-04-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So you believe the Hecate Cult survived somehow and was the origins of Thelema? I believe it died and he and others picked it back up as did the Gardner version of Wicca.
    And if we should die tonight
    Then we should all die together
    Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    Calling out father, prepare as we will
    Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
    Desolation comes upon the sky..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alyosha For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-04-2014)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not familiar with any Hecate Cult; it has been passed down and practiced for generations. Crowley wrote the rituals for Wicca, and was paid handsomely to do so. The only unbroken line of Witchcraft was through George Pickingill, and its practices are indentical with that of the OTO - only the symbolism is somewhat different. The same symbolism as in Masonry and OTO is depicted as a witch riding a broom, preparing a brew etc.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You mentioned the primordial gods and goddesses. Of these the Furies, Venus/Isis/Ishtar, and devouring goddesses such as Hecate seem to appear most often in archaeological discoveries and their worship seems to have survived through millennium.
    And if we should die tonight
    Then we should all die together
    Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    Calling out father, prepare as we will
    Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
    Desolation comes upon the sky..

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are archetypes one acts in to achieve a particular goal. One still worships as a child's fantasy, Odin and Sleipnir, which have been demoted to Santa Claus and the Reindeer, LOL. Originally the 8 legged horse was the coffin and pal bearers. During Yule he was considered to fly around at night giving gifts.

+ Reply to Thread