User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are First-Person Shooters Dying or Evolving?

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captain Obvious wrote:
    Is Tomb Raider considered first person shooter?
    Tomb Raider is considered an action-adventure franchise. Honestly I'm not sure how one could confuse it for a first-person shooter. First-person shooters, as that genre description suggests, take place in the first person. As you can see from this sample footage from the first stage of the original game...

...Tomb Raider's game play takes place in the third person.

Here's what a first-person shooter looks like:

(I'll borrow a popular one from the same era.)

Peter wrote:
    First person shooters are fun. But the b.s. finding hidden crap to advance is a waste of time.
    You should try out the older ones like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc. They were simply gore fests where you progressed from the beginning of the level to the end, blasting everything that moved in the process. If you don't like more complexity in your shooters, those kinds of games might be more to your liking.

GoldenEye 007 for the Nintendo 64 constituted the first real evolution of the genre precisely in that it introduced primarily stealth-based play, a missions format, and multiplayer features. These innovations set a new standard for FPS games going forward. The genre continued to generally evolve over the subsequent two console generations before finally reaching the present stagnation.

The Perfect Dark games (which are structurally similar to GoldenEye 007) are my favorite FPS titles. But I don't really care for many. I just can't get into Call of Duty and so forth, but I think some of that may be because I detest the themes in addition to finding the game play too simple to sustain my interest.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 08-01-2014 at 06:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread