User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: What will you do when they close your post office?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilifier of Zombies View Post
    Fed Ex and UPS deliver to those rural areas, I'm sure they'd be able to more than make up for the void left by the Post Office if it were nixed.
    I've wondered about that, do Fed Ex and UPS deliver everywhere the Post Office does? Some relatives of mine live a few miles outside of town and they have to get a PO Box, so it's not even as if the Post Office delivers everywhere.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilifier of Zombies View Post
    Fed Ex and UPS deliver to those rural areas, I'm sure they'd be able to more than make up for the void left by the Post Office if it were nixed.
    I don't think that they deliver everywhere that the post office does. But they could- for a cost.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, even with the Post Office it costs more to ship things further, so it would probably be a similar sliding scale, but without healthy competition the prices could end up much higher.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Yes, even with the Post Office it costs more to ship things further, so it would probably be a similar sliding scale, but without healthy competition the prices could end up much higher.
    The Senate just passed a bill worth over $11B to keep the Post Office alive.

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Stoney's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 135x in 104 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of any plan to get rid of the Post Office. The plan is to eliminate offices and processing plants that aren't needed. I'm in a little community 12 miles from a small city. There are two small Post Offices between me and that small city. Those two small offices could close and the mail would be delivered out of the small city and no one getting delivery would know the difference.

There's a plant in a bigger small city near here that will be closed. When it opened it was manned by well over a hundred clerks who sorted the mail by hand over three shifts. Today its manned by about a dozen clerks per shift (about half that on the day shift) to clear and maintain machines as well as loading up the sorting machines. What we forget is that when that mail was sorted by hand it took 4-7 days for that mail to get delivered 500 - 1000 miles. Today very often its overnight and seldom longer than 3 days because of the sorting machines. Closing that plant will consolidate the machine sorting of mail to three plants in the state of Alabama where there are now up to ten. The additional delivery time might average a day more, but I doubt it.
    "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner."

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable."

H. L. Mencken

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagny View Post
    My point was, that the businesses we all rely on, do use the USPS. And, now many Fed Ex/UPS packages are dropped at the post office. There was a time when they wouldn't even give a fed/ups driver directions. Now, they work together.

Fed Ex/UPS are superior to USPS for the packages. I'll ask you again what it would cost to mail a document/letter to the other side of the country?

And, there will be a lot of business that Fed/UPS simply wouldn't take on, because there's no profit.

And if the 'govt is supposed to step in when the market is less effective', then once again we dump the loss leaders on the taxpayer, and let the private companies take all the cream?

Fed Ex/UPS are superior to USPS for the packages. I'll ask you again what it would cost to mail a document/letter to the other side of the country?
    I would scan the document and email it myself.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    annata's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 36x in 26 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    I've wondered about that, do Fed Ex and UPS deliver everywhere the Post Office does? Some relatives of mine live a few miles outside of town and they have to get a PO Box, so it's not even as if the Post Office delivers everywhere.
    UPS needs a physical address for shipping, they'll take a PO box as a billing address, but not ship to.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Vilifier of Zombies's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 134x in 117 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I don't think that they deliver everywhere that the post office does. But they could- for a cost.
    Sure they would as well as if they did there wouldn't be a need for any p.o. boxes.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    RollingWave's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 367x in 292 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
    Yes, Rome's middle class was destroyed by its government taxing it to death and squandering the money on foreign wars. Sound familiar?
    Ahem, one coud easily argue that it was the end of war (or at least profitable once) that caused Rome's stagnation and decline both in economic and social terms. That and Rome's rise was highly tied to their foreign wars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again though, I think the win-win solution is to try and copy the model we have here in Taiwan, Taiwan's post office have actuall ran a pretty signficiant profit. in 2010 it ran a profit of roughly 25 million USD which is actually the lowest in many years, in 2007 it was over twice that (of course , it helps that was at the last phase of the crazy finance bubble), you have to remember that Taiwan's not exactly a huge place and this is a public company with a big load of government mandated (unprofitable) commitments.

Taiwan's Post office essentially double as a basic savings bank, and also offers other basic finance operations like insurance , thats how it's making it's money these days, and it (as well as the USPD) have alot of preexisting advantages in this regard, the extremely wide service branchs.... the fact that it's state backed... etc...

Taiwan's post office is now drowning in cash, since pretty much all rural residence desposite their savings there, as well as a significant amount of urban dwellers . for folks who have no interest in investment banking (and that's like at least 80% of the population) the idea that the post office with it's branchs everywhere could double as a savings bank is eminently attractive.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wingrider's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 789x in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use the mail for anything.. let em close..
    The eastern world, it is exploding, violence flaring bullets loading. you are old enough to kill , but not for voting, this whole crazy world is just to frustrating, and you tell me over and over and over again my friend, you don't believe we are on the EVE of DESTRUCTION.

Never approach a bull from the front, A horse from behind, or a fool from any direction.

+ Reply to Thread