User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the biggest criminals in America?

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To compare as you suggest, you would have to make sure that both communities have the same appx income levels. If crime is based only on race, then affluent white communities would have the same crime rate as the poorest white trailer park.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PolWatch For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    To compare as you suggest, you would have to make sure that both communities have the same appx income levels. If crime is based only on race, then affluent white communities would have the same crime rate as the poorest white trailer park.
    Why?

That's just one of the many criteria to compare as far as I'm concerned. Low income levels aren't a quality of the environment, they're a quality of the collective individuals.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    So the stats show that blacks are proportionally the biggest criminals in America, but is that really true? Certainly they have the most dramatic interpersonal violence within their own communities, but are they really disproportionately criminal as compared to whites?

"The fact is that a disproportionate amount of American law enforcement is concentrated in poor black neighborhoods. But studies have shown that certainly where drug use is concerned, whites are far more likely to abuse drugs than blacks, although blacks are 10 times more likely to be arrested for possession and sales. How is that possible? Because the police are not policing white suburbs in the same way that they police black urban neighborhoods."

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/0...s-than-blacks/

In fact a study of drug abuse found that blacks were less likely to be addicted to drugs than whites. Wow.

"The study, which was published Monday in the Archives of General Psychiatry, controlled for variables like socioeconomic status because rates of severe drug problems tend to be greater amongst the poor. Despite this, Native American youth fared worst, with 15% having a substance use disorder, compared to 9.2% for people of mixed racial heritage, 9.0% for whites, 7.7% for Hispanics, 5% for African Americans and 3.5% for Asians and Pacific Islanders." http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/0...s-than-blacks/

"We know that overall blacks and whites use marijuana at about the same rate (whites are more likely to sell). Among young people aged eighteen to twenty-five, the most common age to be caught up in the criminal justice system, whites are more likely to have smoked marijuana. This is contrary to the widely held association of drug use with African Americans. When we include other narcotics, whites constitute the vast majority of drug users. Yet in one survey, when subjects were asked, “Would you close your eyes for a second, envision a drug user, and describe that person to me?” Ninety-five percent of respondents pictured a black drug user."

http://www.alternet.org/books/white-...men?page=0%2C4

So why are blacks taking the rap for drug abuse and sales?

"The chief problem with arrest and incarceration statistics, compiled so diligently by law enforcement annually and relied upon heavily by most legal analysts, is that they are only as good as the humans making decisions as to where to focus police, what crimes to charge, what plea bargains to offer, what sentences to impose. As we’ve seen, nearly everyone harbors implicit racial fears and assumptions, and the humans staffing our criminal justice system are no better nor worse than the rest of us. We know that at every turn, similarly situated African Americans are treated more punitively than whites in the criminal justice system."

OK, but who is committing the biggest crimes?

Consider the major serial killers in the last 30 years, they have been almost exclusively white as have the school killers. In fact when it comes to killing the most people at one time, no racial group can touch white people. http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...1/index_1.html

Furthermore when it comes to matricide and patricide, no racial group can touch whites. http://www.uk.sagepub.com/bartol3e/s...cles/Heide.pdf

So what about other crimes? What about white collar crime that steals more from the most number of people than any other form of crime? Yes, white people are virtually the kings of white collar crime, whether it be stealing from elderly pensioners or creating fake investment schemes, white people are are responsible for stealing billions of dollars from millions of people. No one seems to worry about this. In fact most of the most heinous crimes in society are largely perpetrated by whites even when you consider proportionality. Stats don't really tell the story, since a conviction counts as one, but a conviction for killing 50 people, counts the same as killing one. You know who is killing the most people at once, who has the biggest crime syndicates, who is defrauding the most people?

Welfare. So surely whites are far less likely to be on welfare than blacks?

"It's time that America comes to understand that many of the nation's biggest disparities, from education and life expectancy to poverty, are increasingly due to economic class position," said William Julius Wilson, a Harvard professor who specializes in race and poverty. He noted that despite continuing economic difficulties, minorities have more optimism about the future after Obama's election, while struggling whites do not.

Nationwide, the count of America's poor remains stuck at a record number: 46.2 million, or 15% of the population, due in part to lingering high unemployment following the recession. While poverty rates for blacks and Hispanics are nearly three times higher, by absolute numbers the predominant face of the poor is white."

"By race, nonwhites still have a higher risk of being economically insecure, at 90 percent. But compared with the official poverty rate, some of the biggest jumps under the newer measure are among whites, with more than 76% enduring periods of joblessness, life on welfare or near-poverty."

"Since 2000, the poverty rate among working-class whites has grown faster than among working-class nonwhites, rising 3 percentage points to 11% as the recession took a bigger toll among lower-wage workers. Still, poverty among working-class nonwhites remains higher, at 23%.

The share of children living in high-poverty neighborhoods — those with poverty rates of 30% or more — has increased to 1 in 10, putting them at higher risk of teenage pregnancy or dropping out of school. Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 17% of the child population in such neighborhoods, compared with 13% in 2000, even though the overall proportion of white children in the U.S. has been declining.

The share of black children in high-poverty neighborhoods dropped from 43% to 37%, while the share of Latino children went from 38% to 39%."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-work/2594203/

Comments?
    I say legalize it! One less stat on that huge post!
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poverty has more influence on crime than race...imho.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PolWatch For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are your actual chances per 1,000 people and you will see that the actual rates or chance of being a victim of crime are LOW:

http://www.crimeinamerica.net/2010/1...violent-crime/

Sex: Males are victimized more than females, but not by much (18.4 vs. 15.8) per thousand. There are big differences per crime category; more men are victims of robbery and serious assault, the rates for simple assault are virtually identical, more women are raped.

Race: Blacks have much higher rates of violent crime (26.8) than whites (15.8) but the highest crime category in the survey is for people of mixed race (42.1 per thousand). Blacks were more likely than whites to be victims of overall violent crime, robbery, and aggravated assault, and somewhat more likely than whites to be victims of rape or sexual assault.

Hispanics: Hispanics (18.1) and non-Hispanics (17.0 per thousand) were equally likely to experience overall violent crime. Hispanics were victims of robbery at rates higher than those of non-Hispanics.

Income: While not a measure of violent crime, lower income households experienced property crime at higher rates than higher income households. In general, lower income households had higher rates of overall property crime and household burglary, compared to higher income households.

If you continue to read the article it explains that your income levels are what determine who will be a victim of violent crime, and guess what? It's all lower classes and race plays less of a role than economics.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv09.pdf
    And if we should die tonight
    Then we should all die together
    Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    Calling out father, prepare as we will
    Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
    Desolation comes upon the sky..

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alyosha For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (08-26-2014),PolWatch (08-26-2014)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Poverty has more influence on crime than race...imho.
    So these people are forced to be poor?

Again, goes back to the "blame someone/something else" denial routine. This is still the land of unlimited opportunity, if you are poor and a healthy, capable person there is nobody to blame but yourself.

I moved out of the house at 17, got a full time job, started a family (at a very young age) and put myself through undergrad and graduate school. No grants, no money from parents - all myself.

I didn't sit around bemoaning how difficult and unfair life is looking for handouts, I just $#@!ing did it on my own.

So excuse me if I have no sympathy for anyone who refuses to do the same thing I did.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,769
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mainecoons's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,437x in 4,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's new here? Who doesn't know that whites are more concentrated in white collar crime, blacks in street crime?

Unfortunately it is the latter that is most damaging to communities psychologically. Particularly the black community who are at once the majority perps and the majority victims.

However, take hope as Obama is importing a whole bunch of hispanic criminals and thugs to create new street crime waves in America.
    “Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.”. Henry Ford

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mainecoons For This Useful Post:

Libhater (08-26-2014)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have achieved what you have through your own power and that is something to be proud of. Likely, your children will be raised to know that it can be done and they will have the confidence to achieve their goals. I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments. Not everyone has the same ability to see what can be achieved. It doesn't mean they are lazy, they just don't have the gifts that you have and are likely to have children with the same traits. When you are mired in struggling day to day for survival, it isn't easy to think of anything except survival and so, some are destined to remain poor. I think it was Dr. Who who said that there the idea of everyone being equal was wrong...we are not all equal.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have achieved what you have through your own power and that is something to be proud of. Likely, your children will be raised to know that it can be done and they will have the confidence to achieve their goals. I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments. Not everyone has the same ability to see what can be achieved. It doesn't mean they are lazy, they just don't have the gifts that you have and are likely to have children with the same traits. When you are mired in struggling day to day for survival, it isn't easy to think of anything except survival and so, some are destined to remain poor. I think it was Dr. Who who said that there the idea of everyone being equal was wrong...we are not all equal.
    I really don't consider myself an exceptional person TBH, there is no reason anyone can't do what I did unless you have some mental handicap.
    my junk is ugly

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I really don't consider myself an exceptional person TBH, there is no reason anyone can't do what I did unless you have some mental handicap.
    When you have lived all your life in poverty, when everyone you know is poor, when you know NO one who has ever been to college and few who have graduated from high school...its a different world.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PolWatch For This Useful Post:

del (08-26-2014),Green Arrow (08-26-2014)

+ Reply to Thread