User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Paul vs Paul

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Right, I'm referring only to policies that got us quickly out of the recession that followed WWII, policies that repressed financial repression. Taft-Hartley, GI Bill which credit goes to Congress,

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Vilifier of Zombies's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 134x in 117 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Right, I'm referring only to policies that got us quickly out of the recession that followed WWII, policies that repressed financial repression. Taft-Hartley, GI Bill which credit goes to Congress,
    I'm not saying the G.I. Bill was Truman's idea, I'm saying the Federal government was still spending - the Taft-Hartley Act was an addition to the Wagner Act, there are pros and cons to it but it's not all that regarding the Federal government liquidating debt via financial repression.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Government always spends. I'm saying following WWII despite FDR's New Deal followers, Congress spent less and we recovered from post-war recession quickly. This compared to all the New Deal spending that had prolonged the Depression.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Government always spends. I'm saying following WWII despite FDR's New Deal followers, Congress spent less and we recovered from post-war recession quickly. This compared to all the New Deal spending that had prolonged the Depression.
    lol, we'd just come out of WWII, from wartime to peace, of course we were gonna spend less, it doesn't mean the Federal government didn't use financial repression as tool to liquidate our debt - I think this is not only Ron Paul's disconnect, but yours as well. I'd concede that it's a number of factors that brought us out of the Great Depression, I'd also concede that it was a number of factors that led us straight into the Great Depression - given the topic has turned to liquidity of debt after WWII - that financial repression did play a role and that Paul the politician overlooked it whilst promoting the "Gold Standard" then quoting Friedman's angst about the Fed even though Friedman wasn't for a "Gold Standard" we're starting to get off track - Taft-Hartley didn't have one iota to do with the Federal government imposing financial repression to liquidate the debt, the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan however did - New Deal spending or the lack thereof really doesn't matter all that much when the Federal government was still spending nearly a half a trillion dollars by today's standards with the intent to liquidate debt as well as similar models were used successfully used elsewhere.

Both Krugman and R. Paul have their own agendas, the trick is to filter all the nonsense that espouses their agendas out then button down an unbiased insight between the both of them (granted, thinking R. Paul is $#@!'n crazy and Krugman only half right half wrong - that might be a daunting task, but not impossible).

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    it doesn't mean the Federal government didn't use financial repression as tool to liquidate our debt
    That's not where discussion started, vill. It started with me making the point Congress reversed New Deal policies and the country prospered. That's been shown. You've set other goalposts for discussion. I'll concede those. But you're returning to unimpressive ad hom.

Think we've reached an end, where we're going in different directions.
    Last edited by Chris; 05-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not where discussion started, vill. It started with me making the point Congress reversed New Deal policies and the country prospered. That's been shown. You've set other goalposts for discussion. I'll concede those. But you're returning to unimpressive ad hom.

Think we've reached an end, where we're going in different directions.
    The discussion started with Pete asking me to "lay it out."

Extended New Deal policies or the lack thereof don't matter much regarding liquidating our debt via financial repression given the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan. You can post about Congress reversing New Deal policies all day everyday and it still wouldn't negate that financial repression was indeed a factor - that Ron Paul discounted.

Saying that Ron Paul is $#@!'n crazy or that Krugman is only half right half wrong isn't an ad hom fallacy when they're both the topic, nor is saying either meant to impress anyone or no one, it's just a point of view.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Started way before that.

No one has argued "fin rep" wasn't a factor. I could as easily push your point to an extreme, that "fin rep" was the only factor and make it look absurd just as you're trying to do with my argument--but neither of us is arguing those extreme views.

Agree, it's just a point of view. That has nothing to do with topic.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started way before that.

No one has argued "fin rep" wasn't a factor. I could as easily push your point to an extreme, that "fin rep" was the only factor and make it look absurd just as you're trying to do with my argument--but neither of us is arguing those extreme views.

Agree, it's just a point of view. That has nothing to do with topic.
    Ron Paul certainly left out that little gambit in the YouTube as well as I'd already posted that it was a combination of factors.

The thread title is Paul vs Paul, I'd think posting one's point of view of them flows well with the topic in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread