Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,160x in 737 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genetic Study on Puerto Ricans

Averaged over a 192 Puerto Ricans, the genomewide mean estimated European ancestry .67, African ancestry was .18, and Native American ancestry was .15...

...At most locations, deviations are within the range of evolutionary drift and statistical fluctuation. However, a few regions exhibit extreme fluctuations that are unlikely to have occurred by chance. Most prominently on chromosome 6p21-6p22, an excess of African ancestry reaches .14 around SNP rs169679; this level of excess was not observed in 20,000 permutations and represents 6.4 SD from the mean of the distribution. Correspondingly, the European ancestry at this location is depressed by .14, whereas Native American ancestry remains unchanged. Additionally, chromosome 8 (peak at SNP 896760) and chromosome 11 (peak at SNP rs637249) show an excess of .13 in Native American, and a deficit in European ancestry.
    So we have found 3 pieces of DNA that are becoming more prevalent in Puerto Ricans since the arrival of Europeans and African slaves. 2 pieces of Native chromosome, and 1 piece of African are showing positive selection.

The region underneath our observed peak on chromosome 6p22, includes, in addition to HLA, an olfactory gene cluster. Similarly, the peak on chromosome 11q11 also harbors on an olfactory gene cluster, which has been identified elsewhere as a target of ongoing positive selection. The peak on 8q23.3 harbours less obvious candidates.
    It'll be interesting when they pinpoint exactly what these genes do.
    "I do not think the measure of a civilization is how tall it's buildings of concrete are, but rather how well it's people have learned to relate to their environment and fellow man." - Chippewa

"They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds." Mexican Proverb

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Guerilla's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,160x in 737 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I do not think the measure of a civilization is how tall it's buildings of concrete are, but rather how well it's people have learned to relate to their environment and fellow man." - Chippewa

"They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds." Mexican Proverb

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a half PR maybe even slightly smaller percentage I can only say wgaf. Do this, start with your grandparents and times 2 x 4 and continue for say ten generations. In the end we are all $#@!s but think we are special. Of course I am special but I'm an exception.

"The figures for Black admixture are possibly discouraging to White nationalists, but considering that 90% of them are Nordicists anyway, maybe not..." see chart down page. http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2...-in-all-of-us/

"There are only two human races - the race of the decent and the race of the indecent people." Viktor Frankl
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

+ Reply to Thread