User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Country Has It BetterThan the United States and Why?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wingrider's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 789x in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolo802 View Post
    Well, then, we both believe in miracles.

But hey, don't we agree on a bunch of stuff involving religion?
    true.. but I think politically we are diametrically opposed.
    The eastern world, it is exploding, violence flaring bullets loading. you are old enough to kill , but not for voting, this whole crazy world is just to frustrating, and you tell me over and over and over again my friend, you don't believe we are on the EVE of DESTRUCTION.

Never approach a bull from the front, A horse from behind, or a fool from any direction.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,473x in 36,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now how can two Christians be opposed politically? I hear tell Christians all have the same political views.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Vilifier of Zombies's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 134x in 117 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I would think that a US navy carrier battle group within 20 hours of Taiwan would give China pause in considering an invasion.

How soon could the air group engage?
    Not just that but all the DRF units in the Pacific - back in the early 90's, DRF 1 (the division was divided up into four DRF's) from the 25th, counting down from zero hour, it would take seventeen hours to load up (we kept most of our gear at Hickam AFB if on DRF 1, as a Stinger, it was a given at that time you'd spend most of your time regardless of where you were deployed to or why on DRF 1) - go to - unload - equip - then join the fight in South Korea...I can't imagine if it were Taiwan instead it would add all that much more time to the equation.

My guess is four or five hours and a carrier's aviation assets (refuelers, attack, support, and fighter aircraft) can be over Taiwan from Japan.
    Last edited by Vilifier of Zombies; 05-06-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    spunkloaf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 807x in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's find a place that actually follows the US Constitution. That nation would thrive and grow.
    I agree. The right should really shape up, and start following their own advice.
    Faith can move mountains, but don't forget to bring your shovel.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    RollingWave's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 367x in 292 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the fleet at Japan close enough to protect Taiwan should China choose to invade?
    I would think that a US navy carrier battle group within 20 hours of Taiwan would give China pause in considering an invasion.

How soon could the air group engage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilifier of Zombies View Post
    Not just that but all the DRF units in the Pacific - back in the early 90's, DRF 1 (the division was divided up into four DRF's) from the 25th, counting down from zero hour, it would take seventeen hours to load up (we kept most of our gear at Hickam AFB if on DRF 1, as a Stinger, it was a given at that time you'd spend most of your time regardless of where you were deployed to or why on DRF 1) - go to - unload - equip - then join the fight in South Korea...I can't imagine if it were Taiwan instead it would add all that much more time to the equation.

My guess is four or five hours and a carrier's aviation assets (refuelers, attack, support, and fighter aircraft) can be over Taiwan from Japan.
    Generally speaking, yes.

Yes Chinese airforce could obviously hit us before the 7th fleet even sailed out of harbor, but to take Taiwan with nothing but airforce and missile is extremely optimistic at best. and it's not like we don't have singificant AA and airforce of our own.

Unless the PRC want to gamble on taking Taiwan with nothing but jets and very small landing party (like 2-3 thousand man at the very best with 0 heavy equipment... against an island with well over 200k active service men, over 1000 tank and close to 100 attack helicopter...)... the odds of that succeeding obviously isn't zero, but if they succeed our military would go down as probably one of the most incompetent ever, and I don't think we're THAT bad .

Barring that, the PRC must muster a very significant force to invade, consider that Taiwans' standing military is close to 300k and the more reasaonable estimate of reserves that can be called up still easily double that number... we're looking at something like 800k-1 Million army when everything is assembled, packed in a pretty small island (much smaller than the zone the German was defending against the Allies before Normandy landing, MUCH smaller), that is a tough case to crack .. espeically if you don't have unlimited time.

The US guarentee is mostly in the case of such events, if China is mustering a huge army and obviously preparing for war in the southeast the US would have all the time in the world to prepare... consider for a moment here that D-Day took 6 month to prepare, a full amphibious invasion of Taiwan is only likely to take longer and not shorter.

So forget about the 7th fleet, with that sort of Time the US could basically get any / all of their fleet into the region before China really attacks. they could even land troops into Taiwan, or install / loan / sell new weapons to us .

Amphibious operation are by far the toughest, espeically if the PRC don't have full naval AND air superiority, then it's likly to be outright suicide. and the bigger problem is that the PRC politiaclly speaking can't afford to lose that fight, and once they start to pick it they also can't back down.
    Last edited by RollingWave; 05-06-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    dsolo802's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 155x in 115 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wingrider View Post
    true.. but I think politically we are diametrically opposed.
    Let's be open to the possibility that we share a bunch of common ground. Better to do that than to assume the opposite, and miss each other for sure.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Now how can two Christians be opposed politically? I hear tell Christians all have the same political views.
    I really hope that was tongue in cheek,, LOL no christians can be politically opposed but are in accord spiritualy.. Dsolo is a good person but we disagree on some aspects of the political spectrum. not all but some..
    The eastern world, it is exploding, violence flaring bullets loading. you are old enough to kill , but not for voting, this whole crazy world is just to frustrating, and you tell me over and over and over again my friend, you don't believe we are on the EVE of DESTRUCTION.

Never approach a bull from the front, A horse from behind, or a fool from any direction.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolo802 View Post
    Let's be open to the possibility that we share a bunch of common ground. Better to do that than to assume the opposite, and miss each other for sure.
    we will see how that works out, I will read your posts and comment and you do the same with mine,, who knows where it willl lead.. cool

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm.....methinks the Wing Commander should have to show us paradise. What you guys think?
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wingrider For This Useful Post:

MMC (05-07-2012)

+ Reply to Thread