Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kids, i give you De La Salle High

Currently there is a movie showing at local theaters called When the Game stands tall

Currently De La Salle is 3-0 for the season and cruising for another state title and perhaps the national title too.

De La Salle is from Concord CA and I have seen many of their games for many years.

They killed a team from South Carolina today. The team they beat is a steady winner of the South Caroline state title. 56-28 is the final. I expect the team from the east was not able to score until De La Salle put in their scrubs.

Anyway, link to story and link to movie.

I am talking of the only team to win 151 games in a row over a dozen years.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/my-t...s-duncan-56-28

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rembrant's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 207x in 177 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm well aware of DeLasalle...I'd love to see them come to Cincinnati and take on Moeller. Moeller was State Champ in Ohio 2 yr in a row.. until last spring had been state champ in baseball 2 in a row. They lost in the semi finals.

Moeller, last year knocked off Lousville Trininty..a team that had been unbeaten Kentucky State Champ 3 yr in a row till then. like DeLasalle.. they play the tough teams and still tend to win.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,854
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,749x in 3,852 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The movie was great.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rembrant View Post
    i'm well aware of DeLasalle...I'd love to see them come to Cincinnati and take on Moeller. Moeller was State Champ in Ohio 2 yr in a row.. until last spring had been state champ in baseball 2 in a row. They lost in the semi finals.

Moeller, last year knocked off Lousville Trininty..a team that had been unbeaten Kentucky State Champ 3 yr in a row till then. like DeLasalle.. they play the tough teams and still tend to win.
    There has not been a local team defeat De La Salle but for a year in the past ten years when they had a very bad team. Still the bad team went very far for the state title. I don't recall if they won it but I think they played for it. It came after their loss to a team from Washington state.

No team but them has won 151 games in a row spanning a dozen years. In those dozen years, the team played teams from all over America and never lost to any of them.

De La Salle has been declared the national champion for about 6 years but not in a row.

You have to see them play to believe them. When they played unbeaten for 151 games, they in my view could have beaten many college teams that would be ranked fairly high.

The coach that retired happened to be a football genius and understood that bragging is bad, playing as a unit is great and that being humble is awesome. They never bragged ever when they beat up teams.

That is why there is a book about them and a movie.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moeller plays Trinity again. League rivals St X and Elder won Ste 3 times combined since 2000.. but the TOUGH game is national #1 ranked Lakewood St Edward (near Cleveland) always a top team. Ragland is gone, The QB last year was Ohio plaayer of the year..in the State finals.. he ran for 5 TD's, passed for 3. We also lost 2 guys who were first team All State on D.. still have Taylor a 285 lb DT with a Scholarship to N Dame and the new QB is the son of a Notre Dame All America who was a rd 1 pick by the Jets. The O-Line is BIG. They may not be as good as last year.. but are ranked #1 in Ohio....ahead of St Ed's.. the Max #1 nationally.

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moeller plays Trinity again. League rivals St X and Elder won Ste 3 times combined since 2000.. but the TOUGH game is national #1 ranked Lakewood St Edward (near Cleveland) always a top team. Ragland is gone, The QB last year was Ohio plaayer of the year..in the State finals.. he ran for 5 TD's, passed for 3. We also lost 2 guys who were first team All State on D.. still have Taylor a 285 lb DT with a Scholarship to N Dame and the new QB is the son of a Notre Dame All America who was a rd 1 pick by the Jets. The O-Line is BIG. They may not be as good as last year.. but are ranked #1 in Ohio....ahead of St Ed's.. the Max #1 nationally.
    Moeller at times does field very good teams. I suspect De La Salle has asked them to play but so far, nothing. De La Salle has challenged the best teams in America to play. They have travelled from Hawaii to New Jersey and Florida. Then a national ranked team from LA shows up to CA to play De La Salle bragging that De La Salle never plays tough teams. When they were rolled over by De La Salle, they complained that people simply do not understand just how good De La Salle is and underrates them. Evangel Christian was a top 5 team for some years and got whipped.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Moeller at times does field very good teams. I suspect De La Salle has asked them to play but so far, nothing. De La Salle has challenged the best teams in America to play. They have travelled from Hawaii to New Jersey and Florida. Then a national ranked team from LA shows up to CA to play De La Salle bragging that De La Salle never plays tough teams. When they were rolled over by De La Salle, they complained that people simply do not understand just how good De La Salle is and underrates them. Evangel Christian was a top 5 team for some years and got whipped.
    I lived in N Cal a long time...I know well how good DeLasalle is. A couple yr ago.. Moeller took on the State champs of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana...along with other tough teams. We just made a deal to play Don Bosco home and away starting next year. They have been dominant in N Jersey.

The COST of Moeller or DeLasalle flying between Ohio and Cali... would be stiff. It would be quite a game though.

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before The then unbeaten De La Salle played Evangel Christian

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...le-2581528.php

"Just because they've lost doesn't make them an unworthy opponent," said Eidson, (a De La Salle coach) whose defense has allowed only two touchdowns this season. (Evangel Christian got a quick score and their last score was at the end of the game) "They're extremely creative on offense, they have a quarterback who looks very good, a Division I running back, a fleet of wide receivers and some big boys up front.
    "This is a very good football team we're playing."
    After they got whipped by De La Salle

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...el-2551789.php

Evangel Christian Academy football coachDennis Dunn said three plays from Friday's Super Bowl of preps with De La Salle will be ingrained in his memory bank forever:
    Kneel. Kneel. Kneel.
    De La Salle's Mike Dominguez had just ripped off a 16-yard gain to the Evangel 1-yard line with 1:38 remaining in the game. With most of the 7,000 home folks cheering for an emphatic De La Salle finish, the coaching staff sent another message entirely.
    Quarterback Anthony Gutierrez dropped to a knee three straight times, ending De La Salle's 27-10 win at Diablo Valley College.
    "I thought it was class," Dunn said. "It just speaks for their program and tells you what kind of man coach (Bob) Ladouceur is, the class of this program, the whole school and the class of this streak."

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in N Cal a long time...I know well how good DeLasalle is. A couple yr ago.. Moeller took on the State champs of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana...along with other tough teams. We just made a deal to play Don Bosco home and away starting next year. They have been dominant in N Jersey.

The COST of Moeller or DeLasalle flying between Ohio and Cali... would be stiff. It would be quite a game though.
    De La Salle seldom has "weak" teams but it happens. When they had a weak team, they flew to New Jersey and was beat by Don Bosco who then was I believe the number 1 team.

NEW JERSEY JUSTIFIED

Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) 23, De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) 21
    Hero: K Patrick Murray, game-winning field goal with 10 seconds left.
    Key stat: De La Salle 4 turnovers, Bosco 1.
    First-half yards: De La Salle 207, Bosco 86.
    Second-half yards: Bosco 176, De La Salle 40.
    Key play: 3-yard, fourth-down TD pass from Brett Knief to Ryan Cobb with 10:55 left.
    Stat leader: Dillon Romain (DBP) 25 carries, 150 yards, 1 TD; Blake Wayne (DLS) 186 yards passing, 1 TD.

By Mitch Stephens
    MaxPreps.com

CONCORD, Calif. This time Patrick Murray didn’t miss.

And this time De La Salle couldn’t stop an opponent at the end.

Murray’s 20-yard field goal with 10 seconds to play lifted Don Bosco Prep to the biggest high school football triumph in New Jersey history with a stunning 23-21 victory at the nation’s most storied program.

Following a gutsy 3-yard, fourth-and-goal touchdown pass from senior quarterback Brett Knief to a leaping Ryan Cobb with 10 minutes, 55 seconds left to close to 21-20, Murray looked like the possible goat when his extra point glanced off the left upright no good.

It was the first missed extra-point miss of Murray’s high school career.

“I was very, very disappointed to say the least,” Murray said. “When I went to the sideline everyone said you’re going to get another chance, you’re going to get another chance.”

They were right.

After De La Salle converted an unlikely 3rd-and-16 play from its own 1 on a 32-yard completion from Blake Wayne (186 yards passing, 1 TD) to Jackson Bouza (five catches, 107 yards), then recorded another first down, the Ironmen clamped down and recorded back-to-back sacks by John Templeton and Steele Divitto.

That forced the Spartans to punt and after a short one – 14 yards – Bosco took over at the De La Salle 49 with3:24 remaining.

The Ironmen rattled off three first downs keyed by intermediate runs from workhorse Dillon Romain (25 carries, 150 yards) and Knief (16-55). On 2nd-and-goal from the 4, Romain dove to the middle of the field to set up a chip shot try for Murray.

This time he split the uprights and Bosco, in the first-ever meeting between New Jersey and California squads, had fought back from a 21-7 halftime deficit to knock off the six-time mythical national champions.

On the Spartans' home field.

Before a national television audience.

“It’s the greatest feeling in the world,” Murray said. “I’ve never felt anything like this.”

Afterward Bosco coach Greg Toal, who has won multiple state titles in New Jersey, said the victory was as good as it gets. The team had lost a tough 17-10 game at St. Xavier (Cincinnati, Ohio) two weeks earlier.

“Hey what can I tell you?” he said. “It’s probably the greatest moment of my life and every one of my players. Hey, everyone knows who De La Salle is. They’re a great, great program. They’re a tremendously coached and well drilled football team.”

Any hesitation calling on Murray a second time?

“Not at all, not at all,” Toal said. “He’s a great kicker. We love him. He’s one of ours.”

What did he tell him before the game-winner?

“I said put it down the middle and that’s just what he did,” Toal said.

There was a massive celebration among players, coaches and about 500 Don Bosco fans who made the cross-country trip afterward.

It wasn’t just because the Ironmen (2-1), ranked 78th nationally by MaxPreps, knocked off the 13th-ranked Spartans.

It was because they fought back from what most thought was an insurmountable deficit.

De La Salle (2-1) registered 207 yards in the first half and got touchdown runs of 2 and 8 yards by Terron Williams-Ward and an 11-yard scoring strike from Wayne (12 of 22, 186 yards) to Noah Perio.

But the Spartans managed just 40 after intermission compared to Don Bosco, which recorded 176 of its 262 yards after intermission.

The Ironmen also got a first-half 1-yard TD run from Romain and a 26-yard scoring pass from Knief to T.J. Franzese that culminated a 79-yard drive to start the second half.

De La Salle had escaped with two close victories to start the season – 29-28 over Serra (San Mateo) and 27-21 against Loyola (Los Angeles) — and won the state Division I Bowl game over Centennial (Corona) to end 2007.

All three games the Spartans made clutch defensive stands at the end to prevail.

Not so on Saturday.

“It was the tale of two halves,” De La Salle coach Bob Ladouceur said. “What we did to them the first half they did to us the second.”

Toal said the Bosco coaching staff did few adjustments at halftime.

“We weren’t going to change what we were going to do,” he said. “We felt we could knock them off the ball and we just needed to stay with it. I told the guys ‘don’t panic, we’ll be OK. Just stay with the game plan.

“I’m proud of our kids. They came in and played their (butts) off and made plays.”

Look for updates on this story and 10 observations later tonight. E-mail Mitch Stephens atmstephens@maxpreps.com.

Don Bosco Prep 23, De La Salle 21
    Don Bosco 0 7 7 9 – 23
    De La Salle 7 14 0 0 – 21
    First quarter
    DLS – Williams-Ward 2 run (Garrett Biel kick), 1:59

Second quarter
    DB – Dillon Romain 1 run (Patrick Murray kick), 8:23
    DLS – Williams-Ward 8 run (Biel kick), 4:07
    DLS – Noah Perio 11 pass from Blake Wayne (Biel kick), :17

Third quarter
    DB – T.J. Franzese 26 pass from Brett Knief (Murray kick), 8:31

Fourth quarter
    DB – Ryan Cobb 3 pass from Knief (kick failed), 10:55
    DB – FG, Murray 20, :10

Team statistics
    First downs: DB 15, DLS 12
    Rushes-yards: DB 42-208, DLS 32-68
    Passing: DB 8-15-1-54, DLS 12-22-2-186.
    Total yards: DB 262, DLS 254.
    Fumbles/lost: DB 3-0, DLS 2-2.
    Turnovers: DB 1, DLS 4
    Penalties: DB 1-10, DLS 1-5.

Individual statistics
    Rushing
    DB, Romain 25-150, Knief 16-55, Chris Burrell 1-3; DLS, Williams-Ward 6-27, Butler 6-18, Wayne 17-12, Durant 2-7, Anderson 1-4.

Passing
    DB, Knief 8-14-1-60, Divitto 1-1-0-(-6); DLS, Blake 12-22-2-186.

Receiving
    DB, Franzese 2-32, Burrell 2-7, Romain 1-12, McDermott 1-6, Cobb 1-3, Kneif 1-(-6). DLS, Jackson Bouza 5-107, Noah Perio 3-40, Williams-Ward 3-33, Michael Dosen 1-6.
    Last edited by Bob; 09-17-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, Moeller will play Don Bosco next 2 yr. Yesterday, Elder (Cinci) beat Lakewood St Ed's.. #1 in Max Preps nationally. Elder threw 4 intercepts.. yet won....and had VERY good D. Peyton Ramsey, Elder's QB.. was impressive despite the picks.,.Got good gains running + passing.. will get a top end scholarship..as will several St Ed players. Tommy Kramer (Elder)a 6-5 310 lb Jr OT is the top ranked lineman in the state. His Scholarship offers are basically.,...ANYWHERE. Moeller plays both Elder and St Ed's this year. Moeller and St Ed's...Like DeLasalle... play TOUGH teams.. often teams at a distance. Cleveland and Cincinnati are 3+ hrs apart.
    MOST local teams do not WANT to take on teams that are among the best in the state. Moeller...St Ed's, Elder....play each other.. and play the BEST teams anywhere nearby. While it's a "learning experience" you usually do not want to lose by 40 pt.
    Last edited by rembrant; 09-21-2014 at 12:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread